World Cup reality check.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

World Cup reality check.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:22 am

Anybody been dissapointed up to now with this World Cup games?

Personally, I think it's been tremendous. Great fighting spirit, amazing skills, shock results, fantastic venues and amazing support. Big difference to note is our game compared to everybody else's. We are definitely going to have to up-the-ante if we want to survive the first sudden-death game. The pace, skill and sheer entertainment value has made this one of the best World Cups ever for me. Next rounds should be crackers. Only let down has been some of the refereeing and the way that some players cheat so blatantly and get away with it. "Feel a finger touch you and go down" seems to be the order of the day and refs are falling for it all over the place. Grabbing a leg in agony from a shoulder charge and agonised screaming are all in the cheat book it seems. Oh for a bunch of Colina's.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:09 am

It seems, TANGO, that there has been a levelling of the field in performances this time around. Maybe some teams have improved and others are 'pacing' themselves - though I doubt the latter.

On the fake injury matter: maybe it's time that players have a certain amount of time to get up off the deck - say 10 seconds (as in boxing) - or they must leave the field for a pre-determined amount of time - say, 10 minutes. During this time they may be substituted in the normal manner or their team plays a man down for that period of time.

I don't know the answer but, surely, there has to some way of reducing the incidence of such incidents. It does seem to me though that the only way is through some sort of disadvantage to the team whose player carries on in such a manner.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:37 am

Having watched almost all of it [sad anorak me ] I think refs have got a pretty good handle on ' simulation' [sic] [see also cheating!] and the general standard has been pretty high..

There have been several very pleasing 'get up and get on with it Shirley' moments and at least one booking for brandishing the imaginary yellow...
With the exception of the Mexican chap who reffed Englands first game and had a bit of a Jarvis in the second half I think they have been pretty consistent..

As for 10 minutes out for injuries... can't work because genuine injuries then result in a punishment of the team sinned aganst.. could only work if the offending player was also sidelined to even it up until the injured boy had been magic sponged.... which would lead to all sorts of cheting [see also professionalism?]

Could still be addressed by proper timkeeping.. let everyone stay on for magic spray, sponge, groin transplant but remove timekeeping from the ref like rugby league and actually add on the time at the end as per rugby.. couple of 10 minute injury times would soon put paid to feigning and rolling about..
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by chris » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:01 am

I think the best thing in this tournament is how the supposedly smaller teams are not showing that they're to 'make up the numbers.' I only hope what's happening with Togo is not going to overshadow what some of the smaller/inexperienced sides are achieving. Togo did well against S. Korea, and it would be a shame if it ended with them boycotting matches, though it does appear to be sorted.

norm the jedi wrote: As for 10 minutes out for injuries... can't work because genuine injuries then result in a punishment of the team sinned aganst.. could only work if the offending player was also sidelined to even it up until the injured boy had been magic sponged.... which would lead to all sorts of cheting [see also professionalism?]
I agree with that. Similar to diving, you shouldn't punish a player/team unless you are absolutely sure.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:54 pm

I dont think the Italians would enjoy forced sideline time.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:10 pm

americantrotter wrote:I dont think the Italians would enjoy forced sideline time.
Riiiight! Got it. "Forced sideline time"? That's where you have to supplement your income by swapping you're free time for an extra job, yes? Hence, you're 'forced' into having a 'sideline' in your spare 'time'. Good, got it, thumbs up! You're right, too. The Italians would hate it. Right bunch of lazy oiks, they are! :wink:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:23 pm

The only thing i've been disappointed with is the level of quality shown in the England games. Sure we've managed to get through but its been at a leisurely cruise of a pace and without any real 'ooomph'. Aside from that I think the WC has been a great spectacle to watch, just wish I could say the same about some of the England games.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:34 pm

Mar wrote:The only thing i've been disappointed with is the level of quality shown in the England games. Sure we've managed to get through but its been at a leisurely cruise of a pace and without any real 'ooomph'. Aside from that I think the WC has been a great spectacle to watch, just wish I could say the same about some of the England games.
Yet we still managed to score two of the best goals seen in the WC so far, and let's face it there have been some stiff competition this time round. The one thing the WC hasn't lact is goals, and some great ones at that!!
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

wovlad
Promising
Promising
Location: Underneath the squeaky floorboard, behind the kitchen dresser

Post by wovlad » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:41 pm

Probably the best group stages of a World Cup I can remember. Its been excellent only a couple of poor
games England Vs Paraguay & France vs Switzerland being those. Mind you I have'nt had hold of the anorak long enough to watch every game.

If it continues in this vain, excellent. If not then as long as England win I won't care about the quality,
entertainment, wonder goals etc. Only that we've won.
If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:43 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:
Mar wrote:The only thing i've been disappointed with is the level of quality shown in the England games. Sure we've managed to get through but its been at a leisurely cruise of a pace and without any real 'ooomph'. Aside from that I think the WC has been a great spectacle to watch, just wish I could say the same about some of the England games.
Yet we still managed to score two of the best goals seen in the WC so far, and let's face it there have been some stiff competition this time round. The one thing the WC hasn't lact is goals, and some great ones at that!!
Aye, level of spirit would have probably been a better word to sum up what i'm disappointed with. Heck we've not even given a good account of ourselves. Any competitive football can score a wonder goal its the rest of the performance that sets the best apart from the rest.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:02 pm

Any of the England games more like. We look and play like the worst team to get through to the last 16.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:35 pm

FaninOz wrote:
Any of the England games more like. We look and play like the worst team to get through to the last 16.
How many times have we said the same thing about Germany!!
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Frankie Wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Frankie Wanderer » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:12 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:
FaninOz wrote:

How many times have we said the same thing about Germany!
!
Good point soldier ...

So many times they have " just " done enough.
Frankie says " on the day that your mentality catches up with your biology, come round. "