Italy v Aussie

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Italy v Aussie

Post by FaninOz » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:57 pm

Possession about even but Italy are much more active in front of goal. Quite a few chances but as yet Italy have failed to capitalise on any, two fine saves by our keeper. So far so good, 0-0 at half time, but we need to show more attacking flair if we hope to get a goal.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:56 pm

the Italians bailed out by a ref who sent Materazzi off and then gave the worlds softest penalty with 10 seconds of injury time left.

there would be an outrage if that penalty was given in the Premiership.

it seems Fifa only want the players boots to touch the grass and no other part of the body. disgraceful.

oh, and if Materazzi gets a red card for that, Heinze should have had a claret card for his lunge on the Mexican.

this world cup, for all it's top quality play and goals , has been let down badly by the officials.

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:59 pm

agree on the sending off - it wasn't one

agree on the penalty - it wasn't one

just when you thought the australian team was due for luck ...
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:12 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:the Italians bailed out by a ref who sent Materazzi off and then gave the worlds softest penalty with 10 seconds of injury time left.

there would be an outrage if that penalty was given in the Premiership.

it seems Fifa only want the players boots to touch the grass and no other part of the body. disgraceful.

oh, and if Materazzi gets a red card for that, Heinze should have had a claret card for his lunge on the Mexican.

this world cup, for all it's top quality play and goals , has been let down badly by the officials.
What can I say, but agree, agree, agree, agree and agree. I am speechless!!
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Crouch > Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Crouch > Davies » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:42 pm

Already this World Cup is the most prolific for cards - and it's only the last 16 stage! But then, FIFA will insist, before a tournament, on clamping down on this and clamping down on that.

The ref had two decisions to make, and he got them both wrong. The penalty you can maybe understand, as it was a convincing dive (I initially said "penalty", did anyone else?) but the sending off was inexplicable.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:48 pm

Well you all just got a taste of what the US did. Combine diving Italians and dodgy ref's........you get crap results.

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:20 pm

Unlucky Aussies. As Big Sam said though, Australia only have themselves to blame. Not creative enough and not positive enough with the Italians down to 10 men. That said, not many teams will score against Italians in defensive mode.

I didn't think it was a dive to be honest. It was crap defending and then he fell over the prostrate Aussie player was right unavoidably in his path. Not a pen, but not a dive either imo.

Crouch > Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Crouch > Davies » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:33 pm

Agreed, Neill forgot the first thing you're taught as a defender - stay on your feet.

Did anyone else get the impression the Aussies were playing for penalties?

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:42 pm

Crouch > Davies wrote: Did anyone else get the impression the Aussies were playing for penalties?
yeah , that one against japan....

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:13 pm

Geddin. :mrgreen:

At least Twatty Cahill knows what it feels like to have a last minute winner go against you. Didn't see him rushing over to box the corner flag when Totti scored. Sweet. Made my day that did.

Still hope Italy get dicked in the 1/4's like.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

Crouch > Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Crouch > Davies » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:27 pm

Hoolio wrote:Geddin. :mrgreen:

At least Twatty Cahill knows what it feels like to have a last minute winner go against you. Didn't see him rushing over to box the corner flag when Totti scored. Sweet. Made my day that did.
Agreed, I like to see Tim Cahill upset. Tosser. One day, I hope that corner flag hits him back.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:51 am

Big Sam was right, the Aussies just did not have what it takes to crack open an Italian defense. They were also lucky that Italy did not have their shooting boots on, but to lose to a penalty decision like that is still difficult to take. I'm over it now and am able to speak again which is good I suppose. As my wife keeps telling me on a scale of 1 - 10, with poverty and starvation at the top end, soccer struggles to get above a 1 in world terms. But didn't Bill Shankley have a different opinion on that!

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:32 am

Is 1 the top of the scale? She's some fan huh!
What could've happened; did.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:37 am

I was gutted too and I'm a Kiwi. We like underdogs even if they're baby-eating dingos.
One more minute's concentration and they would have had extra time. I salute their gameplan and mental toughness, way to maximise limited resources.

Both teams seemed strangely subdued. Had the ref given them the hard word before the game? It was well mannered for most of the match. Aussie attacked down the flanks as per but didn't push the last pass and played within themselves.
We should buy some of them. They do as they're told and have that toughness we thrive on. The two wingbacks cover track like Gardner.
What could've happened; did.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:22 am

Honestly, I thought it was a penalty. Neill was all over him, tying him up with his legs, arms, body, hell he would have headbutted him in the shin if he could reach. You can say the Italian made a meal of it (since he's Italian and that was probably the first thought in his head) but he had nowhere to go but down. Blame Neill for going to ground like and idiot. Of course it was softer than some penalties but I think the controversy has been artifically inflated by the fact that it came late in injury time.

Valiant effort by the Aussies, nice to see them move out of the group stages.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:05 am

Personally, I think Neill was careful not to go through the man (although he really should have stayed on his feet) and that the Italian deliberately ran over the top half of his body and flung himself.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:42 am

Should have been a free kick to the Aussies for me. The Italian fella booted Lucas Neill then fell over. A despicable piece of cheating and another horrendous piece of refereeing.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:58 am

The Italians seem to have a "mafia" attitude to everything. "Win at all costs" seems to be the rule. All of football learned the death-agony reaction to a feather tackle from them and they have ruined football with their defensive tactics. Worst thing is, they don't need any of it. They play superb football at times but, for the rest of it they should have stuck to selling ice-cream.
:twisted:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:42 am

Most disappointing. Mind you, if they'd lost, the Italians would have been lambasting the ref for their sending off. That was just as bad a decision as was the penalty.

As best as I can gather he had little to do during the game but made two monumental errors, either of which could have affected the result.

Nevertheless, considering that Australia received the rough end of the pineapple from the referees in all four games, I figure they did a pretty good job and their country has every right to be proud of the team's effort.

What I have found odd during this campaign is the support segregation within the country. I can understand someone who has emigrated to this country still having a soft spot for their home country - but second and third generations who were born here? I'm English but my wife is Australian, as are my son and daughter. While I very much doubt that they would, should they for some insane reason back England in a game against Australia I'd give them a piece of my mind. They are Australian and if they insist in supporting one of the teams it should be that of their place of birth.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:04 am

Dujon wrote:Most disappointing. Mind you, if they'd lost, the Italians would have been lambasting the ref for their sending off. That was just as bad a decision as was the penalty.

As best as I can gather he had little to do during the game but made two monumental errors, either of which could have affected the result.

Nevertheless, considering that Australia received the rough end of the pineapple from the referees in all four games, I figure they did a pretty good job and their country has every right to be proud of the team's effort.

What I have found odd during this campaign is the support segregation within the country. I can understand someone who has emigrated to this country still having a soft spot for their home country - but second and third generations who were born here? I'm English but my wife is Australian, as are my son and daughter. While I very much doubt that they would, should they for some insane reason back England in a game against Australia I'd give them a piece of my mind. They are Australian and if they insist in supporting one of the teams it should be that of their place of birth.
A couple of unrelated points Dujon:

I didn't think the Italian sending off was that bad a decision - Materazzi's lunge was two footed and a cynical attempt to prevent Bresciano going through on goal. There was no real attempt to play the ball, and he was so intent on wiping out that he gave one of his own players a bad knock in the process. Perhaps it was only a yellow card, but I'd rather defend that decision than the penalty.

I was born in Crewe, and have never lived in Bolton. But my Dad and all his side are from Bolton, and he's the only one to have moved away from the area. I made regular pilgrimages to Burden Park from the age of seven and have never doubted that my allegiances belong with Bolton. I know that national allegiances are a slightly different matter, but the point I am trying to make is that the geography of where one is born is not everything. Personally, I think your offspring could consider themselves half English and half Australian, and that the choice isn't as clear as you make out.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families