Jaffka's gossip thread on the ins and outs at the 'Bok

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Devon White
Promising
Promising

Re: Jaffka's gossip thread on the ins and outs at the 'Bok

Post by Devon White » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:12 am

officer_dibble wrote:If liverpool want davies he is off. Can see him being a brendan rogers player. £6mil for someone with no end product will do for me...
he is a quality player, no end product ?, sorry disagree, he was the only dangerous player we had last season and we paid the price, the end product was ngog and look what a complete waste of time he is.
but 6 mill for us, i would take it,

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:29 am

How many goals and assists did he get compared with eagles and petrov?

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:34 am

I'd rather let davies go and switch to a 442. I think with stuey back and being at a lower level we wont need to play the 5 to have a competetive midfield and It would be nice to see someone up with ngog who can find the back of the net, e.g. sordell.

Devon White
Promising
Promising

Post by Devon White » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:41 am

officer_dibble wrote:How many goals and assists did he get compared with eagles and petrov?
I honestly dont look at the stats, i guess they are a lot lower than petrov and eagles.
In my defence i would say look how many corners and free kicks petrov totally messed up last season when we needed him to deliver something that any numpty footballer can do,
I think eagles is lazy and does 45 minutes of work in 90 ( my stats !! )

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:13 pm

Devon White wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:If liverpool want davies he is off. Can see him being a brendan rogers player. £6mil for someone with no end product will do for me...
he is a quality player, no end product ?, sorry disagree, he was the only dangerous player we had last season and we paid the price, the end product was ngog and look what a complete waste of time he is.
but 6 mill for us, i would take it,
Interesting point of view and one that's not entirely lost, regarding both Mavies and to a certain extent Guthrie. I think they both suffer from a similar problem. Both pretty capable and both play some great balls through a defence, but often to no-one. So the question is, should the forwards be running into the places where the ball's being played or should the MF be playing balls to where the forward is (or roundabouts).

I think they should be doing the latter, whilst behind the scenes we work on the former.

That said, neither Guthrie nor Mavies offer us much (they might offer a different team more), for too many reasons. Mavies is particularly frustrating, some moments of great ability, punctuated by too many games as a passenger.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:23 pm

In a good side I can see Mavies being a real asset. Whether Liverpool are a good side or not is open to question. £6m sounds about right until you remember we gave em £4m for Ngog, so £8m would do for me.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:29 pm

We should try to keep MD if we want to go straight back up. He brings something different to our squad. Someone who can run at defenders. Hard to find these type of players these days.

If we really need the cash, then nothing less than 8 million would do. He is English, young, on a long term contract and as such, comes at a premium.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:36 pm

I think there is a chance Mark Davies won't get in our starting 11 consistently next season. Vela is apparently very good so he needs some games. Andrews, Pratley are more suited to some of the more physical games. IF Holden is fit and as expected we play 4-4-2 where would Davies play?

Personally think Davies so far has been a huge let down. Good on the ball, not a great visionary passer or creater, doesn't control a game from midfield, doesn't score many.

Less effective than Eagles IMO.

If Liverpool offer 6M for him it will be hard for Gartside and Coyle to stifle their laughter IMHO.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:45 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:We should try to keep MD if we want to go straight back up. He brings something different to our squad. Someone who can run at defenders. Hard to find these type of players these days.

If we really need the cash, then nothing less than 8 million would do. He is English, young, on a long term contract and as such, comes at a premium.
I think £8 million was what was being touted for Sigurdsson to Liverpool, £6.8m for Sigurdsson to Swansea. Mavies isn't in the same class.

That said, we're talking a team that struck a deal for £20m for Jordan Henderson.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:49 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
irie Cee Bee wrote:We should try to keep MD if we want to go straight back up. He brings something different to our squad. Someone who can run at defenders. Hard to find these type of players these days.

I think £8 million was what was being touted for Sigurdsson to Liverpool, £6.8m for Sigurdsson to Swansea. Mavies isn't in the same class.

That said, we're talking a team that struck a deal for £20m for Jordan Henderson.
Yup.

Plus, unless they are giving up on Henderson, with Lucas due back, plus Stevie Mee it'd be a squad place only for Mavies. Now, maybe he's happy with that if he's paid enough ... hidden behind a self-belief which allows him to fool himself that he'll get games & then prove himself good enough.

I looked on RAWK & it's the usual mix of "he's actually quite a good player, despite 'only' being at Bolton" and a "have we actually decended to this now ?".

Added to weird beliefs that they can get Alonso back. .... Oh & a suggestion that, as Mancini & he fall out a lot "what about a cheeky bid for Balotelli ?". Tho I do think that was a joke, but you never know with this lot.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:52 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Added to weird beliefs that they can get Alonso back.
:lol:

That possibility doesn't exist, along with witches, wizards and HR consultants.

I guess they're just waiting for Rafa to come back and sign him..

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:58 pm

Jordan Henderson is considerably better than Mark Davies IMO.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:11 pm

Good point by pru. Mark Davies cant play in a 442.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Jordan Henderson is considerably better than Mark Davies IMO.
I've seen that little of Jordan Henderson play that I wouldn't know him if he walked down my drive. You must've seen a lot more of him to be able to compare him with a lad you see play week in, week out. :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
I've seen that little of Jordan Henderson play that I wouldn't know him if he walked down my drive. You must've seen a lot more of him to be able to compare him with a lad you see play week in, week out. :?
Saw him play for Sunderland a fair few times. Liverpool move hasn't worked out for him, should have stayed put. Only comparing because people are talking about transfer fees and the comparison.

Henderson when Liverpool signed him was a better player than M Davies IMO at least, though not worth his engorged fee.

Mark Davies isn't anywhere near worth 6M either for me.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Saw him play for Sunderland a fair few times.
do you go an watch sunderland too then?

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:31 pm

We might as well keep him because we lack midfielders, we lost NRC and now maybe Davies, we brought in Andrews but there is still an imbalance

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:49 pm

Think of how many wingers we could sign with six million though

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:01 pm

Davies is the type of player who will shine in the Championship. That extra bit of flair and technical ability is really important in that league. Look at, say, Blackpool and Tom Ince, Lallana at Southampton or Snodgrass at Leeds. They probably aren't as good as Davies is but look at the effect they have on games, purely because of that extra bit of creativity.

For me, this is the best formation for next season:

---Andrews - Holden----
Chungy - Davies - Petrov
---------Sordell---------

You have the defensive work from Andrews, the box to box from Holden, two good wingers and a creative player in Davies to lurk outside the box and provide. That works on every level for me. Getting rid of Davies would result in a good amount of money but I don't see who can replace him.

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:09 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:Getting rid of Davies would result in a good amount of money but I don't see who can replace him.
I hate to say it, but at this level, pratley?