a winger called chris eagles

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: a winger called chris eagles

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:31 pm

Prufrock wrote:
wanderers_on_tour wrote:IMO Chris Eagles is by far and out our best player at the moment, what that says about the quality of the team right now I don't know but that's where I stand atm. Only player that looks to show for the ball and do something with it when he can, not shying away from the pressure of our situation. I guess he's been there before and like others say he may be playing at his level but still, if every player was putting in the effort he was atm we wouldn't be in this mess.

Owen out, Eagles in!
I'm just wondering: to what period of time does that first sentence apply?
A very isolated one, and based as much on form as class (before the inevitable what about Chung Yong Lee/Holden etc.) Lets say just this season so far, maybe pre season n all but I only saw us in at Morecambe and on that Falkirk tv like.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:47 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
bwfcdan94 wrote:so who is the told me season b4 last he scored 1 goal for watford in 20 something games
An unreliable source perhaps? :conf:
You mean sauce? its running out of his backside!

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:55 am

Jez wrote:would much prefer to see him in the center instead of mark "the invisible man" davies so we can bring petrov back into the team
Eagles that is and I agree with this at present,,the centre being behind the striker in a 451 .Eagles looks more dangerous and might even attack a cross if Petrov is playing(so long as it's not likely to end with him getting hurt or mess up his hair). I've never really believed Mavis is fit enough to have an impact when playing 90 mins but maybe we will get something useful out of him coming on with half an hour to go.Interchanging Mavis and Eagles makes more sense than trying to have both on the pitch.

As for the left side,Alonso and Petrov link well but defensively are a disaster.Short of signing two new players to play down the left it looks like Ricketts and Petrov.Personally I'd rather see Ricketts at CH and Petrov coming off the bench.Maybe Alonso would be worth trying further forward.

Sordell,yes he looks like he may be frustrating. However Mr Sita as he is known to his friends does at least appear willing to buy a lottery ticket and does not appear to have his laces tied together so he could yet prove an astute signing. Like most of the side a few positive occurances could transform his season.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:43 am

Jez wrote:would much prefer to see him in the center instead of mark "the invisible man" davies so we can bring petrov back into the team
Bingo!

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:11 pm

I'm happy to go along with Eagles being our best player at the moment. In fact he's probably been our most consistent player since he signed. For better and for worse, you know exactly what you're going to get with him.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:20 pm

Just so I know - this plan is to play Eagles centrally as one of a five, isn't it?

If not, I'm sending for the blokes in white coats

And 4-5-1 leaves us with Davies, Sordell, Afobe and N'Gog for one place

Its proper joined up thinking on the part of our recruitment team....
Sto ut Serviam

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:34 pm

Relentless09 wrote:
bwfcdan94 wrote:so who is the told me season b4 last he scored 1 goal for watford in 20 something games
Fernando Torres didn't score for just over 17 games and he is a world class striker. He may not have scored in those 17 games but he still played relatively well doing everything that's asked of a striker without actually scoring. Sordell has showed he offers more than just goals and eventually the goals will come to make him a more complete striker
But before that, Torres bagged a lot of goals. He was off-form, perhaps, in those 17 games you mentioned. We knew what Torres was capable of - no one really knows if Sordell is really capable or not and that's the worrying thing.
And I can't swallow 'he offers more than just goals' at this moment in time - we need goals!! I thought, for strikers, the goals came first?
People said that last year about Ngog and Davo and we ended up going down because they both offered 'something other than goals'. Klasnic offered goals - he's gone now. If Ngog, Davo and Sordell, all strikers, offer 'more than just goals' then I believe we've got the wrong ideology when it comes to strikers. It's worrying because if they all offer more than just goals, who is going to step up to the plate and bag the goals that will take us up?

And I believe that Eagles is a good player at this level.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:44 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:Just so I know - this plan is to play Eagles centrally as one of a five, isn't it?
If not, I'm sending for the blokes in white coats

And 4-5-1 leaves us with Davies, Sordell, Afobe and N'Gog for one place

Its proper joined up thinking on the part of our recruitment team....
I'm suggesting most advanced of that 5 most of the time with encouragement to roam across the line pick it up and be creative. Unfortunately our recruitment team like the team picking team are still learning to do potato prints on a mental level.Clearly strike pairs is the line theyre thinking on but I'm not sure any two from that 4(unless its sordell afobe) would actually work as a partnership and the problem then is we're back with a stiff 442, wide players who dont track back and the question of how to use Eagles and Mavis who can contribute next to nothing when we dont have the ball which generally is about 60% of the game especially if we're playing 442 with a full set of passengers on board.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:13 pm

Jugs wrote:
Relentless09 wrote:
Fernando Torres didn't score for just over 17 games and he is a world class striker. He may not have scored in those 17 games but he still played relatively well doing everything that's asked of a striker without actually scoring. Sordell has showed he offers more than just goals and eventually the goals will come to make him a more complete striker
But before that, Torres bagged a lot of goals. He was off-form, perhaps, in those 17 games you mentioned. We knew what Torres was capable of - no one really knows if Sordell is really capable or not and that's the worrying thing.
And I can't swallow 'he offers more than just goals' at this moment in time - we need goals!! I thought, for strikers, the goals came first?
People said that last year about Ngog and Davo and we ended up going down because they both offered 'something other than goals'. Klasnic offered goals - he's gone now. If Ngog, Davo and Sordell, all strikers, offer 'more than just goals' then I believe we've got the wrong ideology when it comes to strikers. It's worrying because if they all offer more than just goals, who is going to step up to the plate and bag the goals that will take us up?

And I believe that Eagles is a good player at this level.
Sordell scored twelve goals in the Championship as a teenager in his first full season; and had scored eight last term for a mid-table Watford side before he moved here in January.

As of now, he's the only forward that we have in the squad that we know is capable of scoring goals in this division.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:42 pm

Nicko58 wrote: As of now, he's the only forward that we have in the squad that we know is capable of scoring goals in this division.
That's the most worrying statement I've heard yet. An ex-Premiership team and only one capable of scoring in the Championship? Blimey, let's sell up now and not bother.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:13 pm

Didn't mean to paint a picture quite so bleak, Tango. What I was trying to say was that Sordell has the know-how to score at this level; and that's not something we can be certain about with the other three strikers we have on the books at the moment.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:56 am

Nicko58 wrote:Didn't mean to paint a picture quite so bleak, Tango. What I was trying to say was that Sordell has the know-how to score at this level; and that's not something we can be certain about with the other three strikers we have on the books at the moment.
I'm really not sure what that even means....

what does he "know" that KD and Ngog don't?

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:05 am

He sums us up entirely.

Some good goals, the occasional good performance but when push comes to shove he's not up to it.

I think he's a good 'instinctive' finisher but when he has time to think about what he's going to do next he flaps.

That's when he's not avoiding the action completely.

This is his level.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:17 am

There once was a winger called Eagles,
Who said he liked listening to Seagulls.
When they're squawking and shreeking,
I pretend they are speaking,
To me, or perhaps to some beagles.

When asked about thoughts on Chris Eagles,
My first thought was please keep this legal,
It just drives me crazy,
Cos the guy is so lazy,
That's about it it's all just simples.

Well you try and find something to rhyme with Eagles!

No YOU eff off.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

IggyTheDawgster
Reliable
Reliable

Post by IggyTheDawgster » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:26 pm

coffeymagic wrote:There once was a winger called Eagles,
Who said he liked listening to Seagulls.
When they're squawking and shreeking,
I pretend they are speaking,
To me, or perhaps to some beagles.

When asked about thoughts on Chris Eagles,
My first thought was please keep this legal,
It just drives me crazy,
Cos the guy is so lazy,
That's about it it's all just simples.

Well you try and find something to rhyme with Eagles!

No YOU eff off.

Does he smoke Regals?
It ain't easy, Sleazy even, Deceiving those we, Believe in.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:55 pm

Chris Eagles once played for United,
But he never got Fergie excited,
He said 'You're just far too girly'
'Get tae feck off to Burnley'
And that's how the wanker got knighted.

Can you think of a player with a birds name?
It's a pointless and futile silly kids game,
There's Eagles and Woodcock,
Frank Swift and young Peacock,
But Robin Van Persie now that's just lame!

The favourite show of Chris Eagles,
Is the Cbeebies one called The Fimbles,
He likes Roly-Mo,
But Bessie can go,
And Fimbo once gave him the shingles.

That's enough.

twitter @thetonycoffey

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:57 pm

brilliant. i am pleased my topic has become a poem battle coffeymagics is the bes so far
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:04 pm

coffeymagic wrote: Well you try and find something to rhyme with Eagles!.
Simple rule of poetry: If it's hard to rhyme with, don't put it at the end of a line.
Make, "There once was a winger called Eagles" into "A winger, Chris Eagles by name" then you only have to rhyme with "name", much easier to do. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:07 pm

TANGODANCER wrote: Make, "There once was a winger called Eagles" into "A winger, Chris Eagles by name" then you only have to rhyme with "name", much easier to do. :wink:
OK then.

A winger, Chris Eagles by name
The girly-haired c*nt...

No. Sorry. :oops:
May the bridges I burn light your way

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:31 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
coffeymagic wrote: Well you try and find something to rhyme with Eagles!.
Simple rule of poetry: If it's hard to rhyme with, don't put it at the end of a line.
Make, "There once was a winger called Eagles" into "A winger, Chris Eagles by name" then you only have to rhyme with "name", much easier to do. :wink:
Oh here we go. Suddenly everyone's Pam Sodding Ayres!

I'm trying to show some flair here and you're going for the big hoof upfront to the big man!

While bypassing Eagles is simple,
The result is wholly predictable, ,
Like a big hoof up front,
To an imobile ****
That couplet was just unacceptable.

twitter @thetonycoffey