Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:38 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
BL3 wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote:From the armchair things seemed to have improved
In what way? Coyle was criticised for continually changing the team, leaving out players like Petrov and Sordell and picking players out of position. Yesterday we had yet another midfield line-up, N'gog playing on the wing and no sign of Petrov or Sordell. None of which would matter if we were picking up 3 points, but we're not.
Just so I can locate your viewpoint BL3, is it that you are saying Coyle was unfairly treated or that Freedman is a poor alternative ?

Or are you just being disagreeable for fun ?

I don't mind whichever, just so I known the basis for your antagonistic positions at the moment.
Maybe you missed my question BL3. So bumping it.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:42 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
BL3 wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote:From the armchair things seemed to have improved
In what way? Coyle was criticised for continually changing the team, leaving out players like Petrov and Sordell and picking players out of position. Yesterday we had yet another midfield line-up, N'gog playing on the wing and no sign of Petrov or Sordell. None of which would matter if we were picking up 3 points, but we're not.
Just so I can locate your viewpoint BL3, is it that you are saying Coyle was unfairly treated or that Freedman is a poor alternative ?

Or are you just being disagreeable for fun ?

I don't mind whichever, just so I known the basis for your antagonistic positions at the moment.
Maybe you missed my question BL3. So bumping it.
The criticism is aimed at the halfwits who are praising the current manager for the exact same things they criticised the previous manager for. I would have thought that much was obvious, even to someone who thinks Tom Eaves was on the bench yesterday.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:48 pm

BL3 wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:He said thhat yesterday Petrov wasn't on the bench as a late decision due to Warnock having been ill in the week and wanting Eaves available in case he didn't manage it.

Warnock felt able to play but on 20m had to give in, which was why he went off.

Now, I personally, would want to see Petrov & Lee both start. With Spearing & Butterfield adding the sort of strength in the middle we've been lacking since Moo & Holden were at their best there is more possibility of that ... but there's a way to go yet.
This is our bench yesterday:

34 Lynch
02 Mears
05 Ream
08 Andrews
21 Pratley
27 Lee
17 Afobe

Seven subs and only two attacking options. At home. To Barnsley...
+ the supposedly attacking Pratley and Andrews that apparently scored lots of goals at this level with Ipswich recently.

Poor result. Give the bloke some time to work out what players will do the job he wants and then judge him. Coyle got the best part of 3 years, we should at least give this guy more than 5 minutes.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:04 pm

BL3 wrote:The criticism is aimed at the halfwits who are praising the current manager for the exact same things they criticised the previous manager for. I would have thought that much was obvious, even to someone who thinks Tom Eaves was on the bench yesterday.
I'm sorry, did I think Tom Eaves was on the bench yesterday ? I may have made a typo, clearly I was meaning Mears.

However, what remains less plain is your view of the Coyle years, or of Freedman. Just that you are very angry annd lashing out at people. Which is a shame as you are quite capable of being extremely lucid ........ on occasions.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Sorry bobo but it sounded like you said Eaves when you meant Mears earlier. We knew what you meant though.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
However, Coyle was paid a lot of money to do a job which he failed to do. Dougie is now being paid a lot of money to try and sort it out.

There are only two possibilities.

Either Coyle was causing the squad we have to underperform massively OR he assembled a squad he thought was ace but actually isn't.
Excellent post but since BL3 usually likes to avoid the questions he cant answer, perhaps he could find the time to answer the one BWFCI included when he's next Coyle trolling?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:56 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Poor result. Give the bloke some time to work out what players will do the job he wants and then judge him. Coyle got the best part of 3 years, we should at least give this guy more than 5 minutes.
Predictably poor result given the formation and tactics. Freedman may well turn out to be a great manager but he's got a lot to learn on the evidence of the last few games, as have those claiming to see non-existant green shoots of recovery.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:07 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BL3 wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:He said thhat yesterday Petrov wasn't on the bench as a late decision due to Warnock having been ill in the week and wanting Eaves available in case he didn't manage it.

Warnock felt able to play but on 20m had to give in, which was why he went off.

Now, I personally, would want to see Petrov & Lee both start. With Spearing & Butterfield adding the sort of strength in the middle we've been lacking since Moo & Holden were at their best there is more possibility of that ... but there's a way to go yet.
This is our bench yesterday:

34 Lynch
02 Mears
05 Ream
08 Andrews
21 Pratley
27 Lee
17 Afobe

Seven subs and only two attacking options. At home. To Barnsley...
+ the supposedly attacking Pratley and Andrews that apparently scored lots of goals at this level with Ipswich recently.

Poor result. Give the bloke some time to work out what players will do the job he wants and then judge him. Coyle got the best part of 3 years, we should at least give this guy more than 5 minutes.

Agreed At
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:15 pm

BL3 wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Poor result. Give the bloke some time to work out what players will do the job he wants and then judge him. Coyle got the best part of 3 years, we should at least give this guy more than 5 minutes.
Predictably poor result given the formation and tactics. Freedman may well turn out to be a great manager but he's got a lot to learn on the evidence of the last few games, as have those claiming to see non-existant green shoots of recovery.
4 games unbeaten, 1 defeat in 7? Significantly better than owt that went before.

So I think on balance that is a potential sign that things could get better.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:19 pm

BL3 wrote:

Just what the fvck are you expecting pal

Freedmans had 3 weeks your lover had 3 years

At least freedman is actually working on our weaknesses which is gonna take a while to sink in because your mate fvcked everything up

If you were at the game I bet you were one of the fvckers that booed
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:23 pm

BL3 wrote:
I think it's too early to judge one way or another. I think some things have tightened up - but still have a way to go.

Until he can unload some of the utter shite Coyle signed and replace it with his own players, we're judging him on someone else's poor signings.

10 points from 7 games (what we've got since Coyle left) isn't going to get us out of this division, but then again neither was the 11 points from 10 games we had under Cpt. Clueless.

You want some improvements? We've conceded less goals per game since Coyle left (1.42 per game) than we were leaking whilst he was here (1.7) - small step improvement, but improvement all the same - still with Coyle's players pretty much.

We're scoring 1.57 goals per game - whereas we were scoring 1.3 per game with Coyle. Another small improvement.

It will take time and certainly a transfer window or two to see what stamp Freedman puts on the Club. Just as it did with Coyle, until then, I'll reserve judgement.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:33 pm

Coyles assembled a squad he thought wete ace and he's hoodwinked me in part as well.

What yesterday showed me was we arr desperate for Wheats to be fit; there is no-one in midfield who will grab the game by the scruff its neck; we lack quality out wide and we haven't got enough up front.

Big ask to sort that mess out.

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:53 pm

Spearing was grabbing the game by its neck yesterday. Problem was that we stood off too much and then struggled to get forward quickly enough most of the time. The other main problem was that when we had chances we hit them too close to the keeper. Plus the ref cost us two points in my opinion.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:36 pm

Are we really saying that the players that we have aren't good enough? Really? I'd say that that's absolute shite. I was glad to see the back of Coyle for quite a few reasons, a main one being his backroom staff recruitment of inadequate mates policy. Another one being his abject stubbornness. But point me in the direction of a better squad than ours if you can. For me, Mr Freedman has everything he needs at his disposal to be successful here, it's why he's here in the first place. The rest is down to him and has precious little to do with the next transfer window.
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:06 pm

I'd of agreed at 5 to 3 yesterday Bruce...maybe I'm still pissed but I'm not having that we've the best squad in this division. I think we have some of its better players but are lacking in key areas. Stu Holdz could be the key mind.

Re spearing. I like him. Aggressive player who wants to win the ball. When he's won it is when his problems begin...

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:40 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:Freedmans had 3 weeks

At least freedman is actually working on our weaknesses which is gonna take a while to sink in
Working on our weaknesses? I thought that one of the 'weaknesses' of the previous regime was putting square pegs in round holes? Or is 3 weeks not long enough to work out that N'gog isn't a winger?

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:48 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Until he can unload some of the utter shite Coyle signed and replace it with his own players, we're judging him on someone else's poor signings.
Poor signings? The squad he's inherited is more than good enough.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:47 pm

BL3 wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Until he can unload some of the utter shite Coyle signed and replace it with his own players, we're judging him on someone else's poor signings.
Poor signings? The squad he's inherited is more than good enough.
The squad inherited might be reasonable enough to mount a top 6, but it certainly isn't because of most of the fookers Coyle added into it. Surprising that we got relegated with it, and were in 18th when he left, if it's that good.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:03 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Are we really saying that the players that we have aren't good enough? Really? I'd say that that's absolute shite. I was glad to see the back of Coyle for quite a few reasons, a main one being his backroom staff recruitment of inadequate mates policy. Another one being his abject stubbornness. But point me in the direction of a better squad than ours if you can. For me, Mr Freedman has everything he needs at his disposal to be successful here, it's why he's here in the first place. The rest is down to him and has precious little to do with the next transfer window.
Trouble is Bruce as much as I thought we were more than good enough to go back up at the start of the season, the way it's looking it doesn't seem like what we have is good enough.

I guess there comes a point where you can't keep saying players are under performing, but perhaps that they are not good enough as they are.

I personally think we are not far away. We miss one or two key ingredients to make us tick but it's easy to think that, I guess harder to put them in place.

One thing that strikes me is we have an alarming lack of pace throughout. We seem to very rarely be able to up the pace and switch gears. Basically if Eagles doesn't do it, nobody else does. And that includes Petrov, LCY, Ngog etc.

Personally I'd say we have quite a few who flatter to deceive but when it comes down to it, aren't making big enough contributions consistently. Certainly not as big as you'd expect.

I can't honestly put my finger on why that is. But i am increasingly coming round to the view that some are not half as good as we think.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:06 pm

When Freedman took over at Crystal Palace on New Years Day 2011, they were rooted to the bottom of the Championship. Under Burley they were a rabble, Freedman, working with much the same group of players, dragged them out of the mire to comfortable survival.

Without making a fuss and with some astute work churning the squad, he left them 20 months later a well drilled, effective unit. I won't trouble mentioning their current league position.

As much as we all have an opinion, sometimes seeing things so obvious only a fool would miss them. In truth none of us armchair experts have a clue what's happening within the confines of the first team squad. Expecting things to change in the blink of an eye is pretty naive I fancy. I also believe Freedman brings a regime that will not suffer those that refuse to accept his standards and will weed out the luggage as early as is prudent.

Will it be playoffs this season? Entirely possible, but certainly not a given. Will the playing side of the club be better at the end of the season than it was at the beginning? Without a shadow of a doubt!

Anyone that isn't behind the Manager and his endeavor at this early stage will only make his task a little more demanding.