The middle East

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

The middle East

Post by Hoboh » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:06 pm

Thought it might be better to post in here about Syria, Egypt etc than hijack the angry thread.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: The middle East

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:42 am

Not as hot this summer in the Middle East. Still too hot mind :|

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:36 am

I think it's heading towards a few degrees hotter shortly.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:52 am

I hope they behave. There is an airbase not far from my house. There are supposed to be some RAF Typhoons there. I don't fancy having some scuds flung this way :shock:

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:25 am

http://www.theonion.com/articles/so-wha ... -be,33662/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I never make the effort to follow foreign conflicts in the detail that is required to have even a half-informed view, but this does seem to sum the problem up perfectly.
Last edited by mummywhycantieatcrayons on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:32 am

there are many who believe that the US has used chemical weapons on more than one occasion in Iraq...

and surely there are none of us who don't believe that the US has stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons not open for inspection by UN inspection teams...

it's clearly a red line over which a nation must not be allowed to step unpunished...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/200 ... 5/usa.iraq

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:37 am

thebish wrote:there are many who believe that the US has used chemical weapons on more than one occasion in Iraq...

and surely there are none of us who don't believe that the US has stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons not open for inspection by UN inspection teams...

it's clearly a red line over which a nation must not be allowed to step unpunished...

Depleted uranium was the weapon of choice in Iraq if I remember correctly.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:43 am

Hoboh wrote:
thebish wrote:there are many who believe that the US has used chemical weapons on more than one occasion in Iraq...

and - if these claims are to be believed - napalm and white phosphorus

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:49 am

thebish wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

and - if these claims are to be believed - napalm and white phosphorus
I know where your coming from bish it's the whole two faced aspect that really is chilling or put another way;

When is a chemical weapon not a chemical weapon?

When it's used by the West!

I have no doubt that Russia used plenty of murky weapons in Chechnya but we never nor are likely to find out about them.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:37 am

David Crausby has replied to my email saying:

My instincts are to oppose any military intervention in Syria, and I absolutely believe the world should take no action without a United Nations resolution.

I'm glad he's taken this position - perhaps constituents of our other MPs could check out their position?

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:16 pm

William the White wrote:David Crausby has replied to my email saying:

My instincts are to oppose any military intervention in Syria, and I absolutely believe the world should take no action without a United Nations resolution.

I'm glad he's taken this position - perhaps constituents of our other MPs could check out their position?
Will - I am significantly less clued-up here than you - the fantasy of international law has never been my thing.

But is a UN resolution possible if Russia and China are allied to the bad guys?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:25 pm

Question is, will he vote that way. Parliament is full of MPs that say one thing and do another.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:28 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:

Will - I am significantly less clued-up here than you - the fantasy of international law has never been my thing.

Unlikely. Russia have a veto, meaning they can stop a resolution even if everyone else agrees to it. For Libya they abstained from the vote, which would be the best we could hope for in this case. Given their alliance with Syria it is unlikely they'll agree to anything, which may or may not be a good thing depending what Obama and his pals try to get through.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:28 pm

This might be of interest to you then, William.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/106 ... an_crisis/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:37 pm

but clued-up enough to make a judgement as to who the "bad guys" are?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:53 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/106 ... an_crisis/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He's away on a family holiday but still replying to work (assumption here) emails? I'm quite impressed by that.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

He's away on a family holiday but still replying to work (assumption here) emails? I'm quite impressed by that.
No doubt on his iPhone/Blackberry. Fairly normal in the business world these days. Good on him, but I wouldn't say it was impressive.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:57 pm

thebish wrote:

No, but a UN resolution would presume the existence of some bad guys, wouldn't it - I'm just talking hypothetically.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:59 pm

thebish wrote:

No, but a UN resolution would presume the existence of some bad guys, wouldn't it - I'm just talking hypothetically.
yes - there are bad guys - both sides... Russia and China are no more allied to the bad guys than the UK or the US are...

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:03 pm

thebish wrote:
thebish wrote:

yes - there are bad guys - both sides... Russia and China are no more allied to the bad guys than the UK or the US are...
I don't have a clue!

I'm just saying, a resolution would presumably be aimed at someone.

I meant to write 'the bad guys as identified by a particular resolution'.

If Russia and China were allied to the bad guys as identified by a particular resolution, the likelihood would appear to be that a resolution would be impossible... so it seems difficult to insist on one under those circumstances.