The Painting Thread... (as opposed to art debate)

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

The Painting Thread... (as opposed to art debate)

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:06 pm

As suggested by Bish (and seconded by WtW)... although at the moment I've nothing to add to it.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Passionate
Passionate

Re: The Painting Thread... (as opposed to art debate)

Post by 2399 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:33 pm

https://www.facebook.com/pages/THE-RABB ... 4801645559" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He does Paintings!!!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:35 pm

Has anybody ever mentioned to you that you are weird 2399? Just in case they haven't... "You are one weird Aussie, 2399" :wink:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Passionate
Passionate

Post by 2399 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:09 pm

Shameless plug that, It's not me by the way 8) But I manage the page!

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:15 pm

2399 wrote:Shameless plug that, It's not me by the way 8) But I manage the page!
Tha's not managing it very much - five words in 28 months :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:25 pm

In the spirit of LLS visiting the Rugby thread, I bloody hate doing the hall. :-)

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:47 am

Worthy4England wrote:In the spirit of LLS visiting the Rugby thread, I bloody hate doing the hall. :-)
I knew somebody would... :lol: . I just didn't have it down as you.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:07 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Depending on your age group its, Ritzy's, Icon or whatever. To me it'll always be "The Palais". :wink:

TANGODANCER wrote:All comments are welcome. I blew the pic up to copy and in doing so knocked it out of perspective a little, ie made it a little taller than it should be. (I did it by saving the pic as background then clicked on stretch. ) Pics of the Palais exterior are few and far between unfortunately.
I've noticed you've worked from photos before. I must admit I'm not too sure what technique to use. When I did the Mow I knocked up a basic sketch when I was out and about and took a quick snap on my phone so I could look up 'details' I hadn't captured on the sketch when doing the painting.
The dog one I'm doing from 'life' as it were - only she's a shit model and keeps moving.

What techniques do you adopt with a photo. For example do you trace the outlines and fill in?
And what did you mean by "by saving the pic as background then clicked on stretch." - that bit baffled me.
And why did you use the colours you did, even though it's a black and white photo?
(So many questions!)
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:19 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote: And what did you mean by "by saving the pic as background then clicked on stretch." - that bit baffled me.

i think he probably means that he saved a pic off the internet and used his browser to set it as his wallpaper... the browser recognised that the pic was not the same dimensions as his screen resolution - so offered to stretch it to fit... tango then painted from the stretched version...

it has been stretched vertically (or squeezed horizontally) - you can see this best by looking at tango's windows which are thinner than the photo....

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:23 am

thebish wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote: And what did you mean by "by saving the pic as background then clicked on stretch." - that bit baffled me.

i think he probably means that he saved a pic off the internet and used his browser to set it as his wallpaper... the browser recognised that the pic was not the same dimensions as his screen resolution - so offered to stretch it to fit... tango then painted from the stretched version...

it has been stretched vertically (or squeezed horizontally) - you can see this best by looking at tango's windows which are thinner than the photo....
Ahhh... I see.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:25 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote: I've noticed you've worked from photos before. I must admit I'm not too sure what technique to use. When I did the Mow I knocked up a basic sketch when I was out and about and took a quick snap on my phone so I could look up 'details' I hadn't captured on the sketch when doing the painting.
The dog one I'm doing from 'life' as it were - only she's a shit model and keeps moving.

What techniques do you adopt with a photo. For example do you trace the outlines and fill in?
And what did you mean by "by saving the pic as background then clicked on stretch." - that bit baffled me. And why did you use the colours you did, even though it's a black and white photo? (So many questions!)
Right. Keeping in mind I'm just an amateur bloke doing this as a part time hobby/pastime, I'll answer anything i can. .....

Firstly, what the bish suggested is correct. I used the "save as background" and worked from my screen to pencil sketch the basic picture onto my paper. Working from a photo isn't really any different than working from life; you still paint what you see. Light changes so very quickly that photos catch and retain a particular time and place better. I always look at whatever I'm working from, be it pic or whatever, through half-closed eyes to see where light and shade are prominent.

Painting isn't photography and it's your own interpretation rather than just a total copy. I never trace anything from something else, that would be a bit pointless. If you want to do that it isn't forbidden, but I've never done that. I use basic rule of thumb, ie how one thing measures against another to get a basic view of perspective. Lots of well known watercolour artists use cameras to capture images that they then paint. The pics are only used for detail when representing known things. You can use a few dots to position things like centre lines and points of interest and set things out roughly. You can also physically measure how items compare to each other size-wise, height, width etc. Do whatever works for you.

As for colours, a black and white painting (monochrome, ie using just one colour in various shades,) wasn't what I wanted here. The Palais had a sort of pale whitish, yellow/cream and dark blue tiling fascade originally, plus a few years of weathering from the elements, Bolton buses were red back then, there was always mist about in winter etc, etc. I just suggested these things with basic colour. The colours in my efforts shown on here are actually not much like the reality, photography, in my case is basic with flash usually.

Like I've said before (it's what most books will tell you) there are no real rules for drawing and painting, it's just you, the pencil and paper and your paints. Don't get phased by "technique" or you'll never paint anything. Practise is your best friend.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:55 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote: I've noticed you've worked from photos before. I must admit I'm not too sure what technique to use. When I did the Mow I knocked up a basic sketch when I was out and about and took a quick snap on my phone so I could look up 'details' I hadn't captured on the sketch when doing the painting.

And what did you mean by "by saving the pic as background then clicked on stretch." - that bit baffled me. And why did you use the colours you did, even though it's a black and white photo? (So many questions!)
Right. Keeping in mind I'm just an amateur bloke doing this as a part time hobby/pastime, I'll answer anything i can. .....

Firstly, what the bish suggested is correct. I used the "save as background" and worked from my screen to pencil sketch the basic picture onto my paper. Working from a photo isn't really any different than working from life; you still paint what you see. Light changes so very quickly that photos catch and retain a particular time and place better. I always look at whatever I'm working from, be it pic or whatever, through half-closed eyes to see where light and shade are prominent.

Painting isn't photography and it's your own interpretation rather than just a total copy. I never trace anything from something else, that would be a bit pointless. If you want to do that it isn't forbidden, but I've never done that. I use basic rule of thumb, ie how one thing measures against another to get a basic view of perspective. Lots of well known watercolour artists use cameras to capture images that they then paint. The pics are only used for detail when representing known things. You can use a few dots to position things like centre lines and points of interest and set things out roughly. You can also physically measure how items compare to each other size-wise, height, width etc. Do whatever works for you.

As for colours, a black and white painting (monochrome, ie using just one colour in various shades,) wasn't what I wanted here. The Palais had a sort of pale whitish, yellow/cream and dark blue tiling fascade originally, plus a few years of weathering from the elements, Bolton buses were red back then, there was always mist about in winter etc, etc. I just suggested these things with basic colour. The colours in my efforts shown on here are actually not much like the reality, photography, in my case is basic with flash usually.

Like I've said before (it's what most books will tell you) there are no real rules for drawing and painting, it's just you, the pencil and paper and your paints. Don't get phased by "technique" or you'll never paint anything. Practise is your best friend.
Cheers Tango.
I don't know if I'd call it practice as such but for the last five days or so I've been messing about with paint and brushes. Just seeing what different effects I get with different size and shaped brushes using different ways of slapping the paint on. I've not actually tried to paint anything - just a series of colour blocks. I've been using the left over paper from my f-i-l's collection of stuff.
Anyway, the paper I ordered has arrived in the post today, and it's much better quality than the stuff I've been messing about on, so painting numero two 'The Dog' shall recommence tonight. I've got it all planned out - which colours to mix for my blacks and underwashes, which colours for the background furniture, and the pose she's going to adopt (it's one she does naturally almost every night after her walk - she lies down at the end of the tatty sofa with her head on the cushions and gives us that half lidded sleepy look while we watch tv or read. So it'll be a life class I suppose!)
I keep looking at the first painting I did, and the brazen naivety of the way I tackled it. I think you might be correct insofar as I'm overthinking/planning this next one - but I'm afraid that's the way I am.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:57 pm

^ i did warn you it'd all end in tears!! ;-)

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:03 pm

thebish wrote:^ i did warn you it'd all end in tears!! ;-)
I can't afford tears. They stain the paper and make the paint run. :|
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:13 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
thebish wrote:^ i did warn you it'd all end in tears!! ;-)
I can't afford tears. They stain the paper and make the paint run. :|
it's a good technique for a rainy picture - spatter it with your tears of despair... Turner used to do this for his stormy sea-kayak scenes... FACT

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:46 pm

Just been looking at the pics of your house Spots. Some magnificent topics to paint on your own doorstep . Wish I'd had the painting bug back when I lived in Walsden.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:49 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Just been looking at the pics of your house Spots. Some magnificent topics to paint on your own doorstep . Wish I'd had the painting bug back when I lived in Walsden.

i wouldn't do that, spotty - looks slippy enough as it is! :wink: stick with the paper for now!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:33 pm

Spots. Does this help? I found a pic I really like, for obvious reasons, called The Halliwell Snowplough. The pub just behind the horse is the old Crofters (Cornbrook Ales I think) at the top of Halliwell. I reckon it's between 1940-50. I borowed the pic from the Halliwell Historical Society site, but I'm sure they won't mind. I just had to paint this. :wink:

I may just use black and white to paint it because it's a snow scene, not sure yet, but first I sketched it out as shown. I made it more or less twice the size of the original and taped the sheet up at that (where the arrows are). My finished size will be more or less 12"x9". I'll post the results when it's finished. The sketch isn't supposed to be detailed, just a guide.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:06 pm

There were a lot of Crofters around. To me "The Crofters" referred to the junction of St. George Road and Chorley New Road (I think there was a hotel of that name there though I don't remember it). I used to have a pint in the Jolly Crofters when walking back from the Pike to Lostock (I was a lot younger then). The Crofters Arms was on Halliwell Road. Perhaps it and the Jolly chaps are still around.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:55 pm

Steps 2 and 3.

2.Start to add detail in various shades of black wash or fill in.

3. Add in impressions of buildings and snow. I let the white paper be the snow. And there you go, tht Halliwell Snow Plow back in the day. Hope this helps. :wink: