The middle East

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The middle East

Post by thebish » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:56 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
thebish wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:So five volumes then?! 8)
Five physical pieces called by the author Parts 1, 2 3 and 4 - Part 2 was in two physical pieces. In the cataloguing trade we call this "4 vols in 5". However, the author did not use the term volume at all - just Part.
you did though - you said it was in five physical volumes - and four parts.
Yes, I did. The distinction may be subtle but it means, in a library catalogue, four intellectual volumes in five physical volumes. It so happens Howorth did not use the term volume but said parts and divisions, but that is irrelevant to library cataloguing jargon. But it is not too subtle for you because you knew what was mean and are just doing the usual.

no - merely pointing out the obvious - which seems to evade you - that you are describing the set in essentially the same way that LLS was - five volumes - both of you describe the set as a set with five volumes. you added the word "physical" - but none of us (I suspect) imagined that LLS was referring to anything other than physical volumes.

LLS: - I have all five volumes on my shelf
you: - I think you mean you have all five physical volumes on your shelf

and you accuse me of knit picking???

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:00 am

Hoboh wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... -every-law

Interesting

And

It seems like Putin is a very shrewd political mover, he may just come out of this with a lot of 'face' and credability.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/s ... al-weapons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

seems Kerry let his tongue run away with him again and now the 'Muricans are scrabbling desperately to catch up...

all of which makes me more convinced that the UK house of commons made a good decision to block Cameron from rushing to action...

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:52 pm

I'm not sure what to make of this (assuming it is true). Probably not a good precedent to set.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:09 am

Wasn't there a movie years ago, Monty, that used the same premise?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:09 am

Dujon wrote:Wasn't there a movie years ago, Monty, that used the same premise?
The Dirty Dozen?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:20 am

Aye, tha'd be right lad.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:20 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/s ... ns-rouhani" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And hoboh will never vote UKIP!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:41 am

It was July that this (not a) military coup happened in Egypt... I thought they were supposed to be having elections in the Spring of 2014...

hmmmm.... instead - they have just sentenced 528 people to death en-masse....

Spotty assured me it was all fine! where's he gone???

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:16 pm

thebish wrote:.... - they have just sentenced 528 people to death en-masse.
683 !!

Though, to be fair "Of the 683 sentenced on Monday, only about 50 are in detention but the others have a right to a retrial if they hand themselves in".

Can't see many turning up for an appeal, can you ??
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:10 pm

thebish wrote:It was July that this (not a) military coup happened in Egypt... I thought they were supposed to be having elections in the Spring of 2014...

hmmmm.... instead - they have just sentenced 528 people to death en-masse....

Spotty assured me it was all fine! where's he gone???
I wasn't in Egypt. I also said (I think) that I was reserving judgement on whether it was a coup or not, dependent on whether the elections go ahead or not. They 'te still on schedule I believe, but it's looking increasingly like it was a coup after all.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:08 pm

And to chuck something else into the melting pot. Britain is to reverse it's policy of leaving "East of Suez". Also a new HQ is to be built in Bahrain. Things could warm up rather quickly.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/News-and-Ev ... in-Bahrain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:26 am

Ah well, the melting pot called Iraq had to happen sooner or later.
I just hope to hell we keep out of it short of stopping any of our own loonies coming back over here.
Send in the EU peace envoy he might be able to sort it out, good people these EU types :mrgreen:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:48 am

Mohammed Emwazi

I am very pleased to say you are a dead man walking!

Can't wait for the inevitable "He is nothing to do with Islam" articles in the next few days

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:24 pm

he needs taking out, wiping off the face of the earth.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:44 pm

Gravedigger wrote:And to chuck something else into the melting pot. Britain is to reverse it's policy of leaving "East of Suez". Also a new HQ is to be built in Bahrain. Things could warm up rather quickly.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/News-and-Ev ... in-Bahrain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 8)
A head quarters costing six million? What are the using, breeze-blocks and plywood?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:56 pm

Hoboh wrote:Mohammed Emwazi

Can't wait for the inevitable "He is nothing to do with Islam" articles in the next few days
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:04 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Gravedigger wrote:And to chuck something else into the melting pot. Britain is to reverse it's policy of leaving "East of Suez". Also a new HQ is to be built in Bahrain. Things could warm up rather quickly.

A head quarters costing six million? What are the using, breeze-blocks and plywood?
Sounds about right for this part of the world. There'll be a veneer of marble to make it look nice though :D

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:44 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Hoboh wrote:Mohammed Emwazi

Emwazi arrived in Britain as a young boy, aged six, after being born in Kuwait. He grew up in west London and was known as a polite, mild-mannered young man.

Those who knew him say he had a penchant for wearing stylish clothes but remained an observant Muslim. The Post describes him as bearded and as careful not to make eye contact with women.
According to people who have moved in jihadi circles in west London, Emwazi began to be noticed about five or six years ago. “That’s when he emerged, so to speak,” said one. Among his associates at that time was Bilal el-Berjawi, a Londoner of Lebanese origin who was killed by a drone strike in Somalia three years ago.
Cage said that it spent two years in communications with Emwazi, in which he highlighted interference by the UK security agencies as he sought to find redress within the system.
He told the organisation: “I have been trying to find out the reason for my refused Visa issue from my home country Kuwait, and a way to solve the issue. So through my friends in Kuwait, it has been said to me that Kuwait has no problem with me entering, and the reason for my refusal is simply because the UK agents have told them to not let me in!!”
Asim Qureshi, research director of Cage, said there were parallels with the killer of Lee Rigby, Michael Adebolajo.
“Suffocating domestic policies aimed at turning a person into an informant but which prevent a person from fulfilling their basic life needs would have left a lasting impression on Emwazi. He desperately wanted to use the system to change his situation, but the system ultimately rejected him.”
Close friends of Emwazi told the Post that his situation in London had made him desperate to leave the country. It’s unclear exactly when he reached Syria or how.
One friend said he believed Emwazi wanted to travel to Saudi Arabia to teach English in 2012 but was unsuccessful. He left soon afterwards, the friend said.
He was upset and wanted to start a life elsewhere,” one of the friends said. “He at some stage reached the point where he was really just trying to find another way to get out.”
By 2010 he told friends he wanted to go to Syria. Almost all advised him against it
Emwazi and Berjawi were members of a loose-knit group of young Muslims from the North Kensington area of west London who attended the same mosques and played five-a-side football together.
Another member of the group, Mohamed Sakr, was killed in a drone strike in Somalia a few weeks after Berjawi. Although born in the UK, he was a dual UK-Egyptian national: the UK government had stripped him of his British citizenship shortly before he was killed.
Some members of this group were investigated by MI5 because of their links with the men who attempted to carry out a wave of bombings on London’s underground train network on 21 July 2005.
Others came to the attention of the authorities in other ways. Mohammed Ezzouek, for example, who attended North Westminster Community school with Berjawi, was interrogated by British intelligence officers after a trip to Somalia in 2006; another schoolmate, Tariq al-Daour, has been released from jail after serving a sentence for inciting terrorism.
So despite the company he kept according to cage it's our fault! So cage is a terrorist supporting group then so why is it not banned?
Last edited by Hoboh on Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:23 pm

I just hope nobody anywhere is trying to offer any sort of justification for this man being anything else than a deranged murderer.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:55 pm

they should kill him like charles s dutton and pals killed that dog thing in that david fincher film