Site For Sale

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

keveh
Icon
Icon

Site For Sale

Post by keveh » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi All,

Unfortunately it's come a time where I'm not able to run the site any more.

To put it simply I've lost all interest in the club and football in general, I barely visit this site never mind any other BWFC related site. Sad really.

That means I have no interest in chasing sponsorship or donations to fund the site, which means I've been funding the site myself.

If anybody is interested in taking over feel free to PM me, I'm willing to simply hand over the reigns to somebody else to handle the billing, I don't want any money for it.

There are a few options for those interested:

1. Take over the current account, I'd simply transfer the details to you (£25 a month)
2. Use your current hosting and I'll transfer files and database
3. Transfer the domain over to you and you do what you want with it

I would obviously prefer option 1 or 2 as I think it would be a real shame for the site to disappear, a lot of people have put a lot of work in over the years. That's one reason I'm willing to simply let it go, I could easily make a profit if I felt like it, but I'd rather it just go to somebody else to keep it running.

Any questions let me know.

Cheers,

Kev

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Site For Sale

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:44 pm

I don't particularly want to run the site, but if someone wants to help out I can probably manage the hosting. If anyone wants to help let me know and we can see what we can do to help keep the site alive.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:21 pm

It would be a tremendous shame if this site were to disappear. The other forums aren't worth the bother.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:30 pm

It may be no help, and its just an idea, but surely between us there's 20 people willing to part with £1.25 a month, or even 40 of us willing to part with 65p/pcm on a DD if anyone is wiling to pick up the gauntlet of doing the techy stuff?

I am.

I'd be no use with the computer bits though. Utterly hopeless.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

IggyTheDawgster
Reliable
Reliable

Post by IggyTheDawgster » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:30 pm

This is sad news indeed :(

Please someone save us!!
It ain't easy, Sleazy even, Deceiving those we, Believe in.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:34 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:It may be no help, and its just an idea, but surely between us there's 20 people willing to part with £1.25 a month, or even 40 of us willing to part with 65p/pcm on a DD if anyone is wiling to pick up the gauntlet of doing the techy stuff?

I am.

The hosting I can probably handle, just need to know what resources the site currently uses. Ideally I'd have someone to help with some of the tech side so it doesn't all fall on me, and for the current mod team to continue their great work. In terms of finances, we'd need to explore some advertising (not intrusive) as relying on donations long term is a real pain.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:40 pm

Thanks, keveh, for the last nine years.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:43 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:It may be no help, and its just an idea, but surely between us there's 20 people willing to part with £1.25 a month, or even 40 of us willing to part with 65p/pcm on a DD if anyone is wiling to pick up the gauntlet of doing the techy stuff?

I am.

Was wondering exactly the same thing, m'Lord. If money is an issue I'd happily subscribe. If we're now in an ice-bucket age where people want to broadcast their support, perhaps subscribers could have a little gold badge or something - I'm not arsed personally, but I suppose we need to display some benefit to the cash layout.

As with any hobby (youth coaching, fanzine editing, portrait painting, whatever) it's not just about the money but the time. I can afford the money more than the time - hell, if it came to it I'd probably pay a tenner a month, let alone 65p - but what's not buyable is the time.

Let's presume (for now) that the mods are happy to continue; what we'd need is someone to do the Keveh job of making sure the site's running, picking it up when it falls over, paying the bills (as opposed to raising the cash to do so, which can be separated into the "time-poor cash-rich" pile) and probably a few other things that he'd need to explain.

And for the record, while we're at it, a thousand thanks to all those who have made this site possible.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:49 pm

Count me in for a subscription.
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:53 pm

I'm happy to subscribe also. No idea about the tech stuff though.
I would also echo the thanks, I've enjoyed using this site the last couple of years and not come across Keveh at all but thanks for the behind the scenes work. (no Dougie piss-take intended!)

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:57 pm

As I said in my original post, I've just lost all interest so I don't even have the drive to collect the money from people who would be willing to help out with the bills.

If somebody wants to do that and take over the hosting/billing then that is the perfect solution in my eyes.

Ever since we moved to our own server the site has been rock solid, so I've not had to do anything on it in months.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:03 pm

Thanks for all the work Keveh!

I will be happy to contribute £ to keep the site up and running. Not got a clue on the tech side but happy to help in any way I can if the mods decide to step aside.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:05 pm

keveh wrote:As I said in my original post, I've just lost all interest so I don't even have the drive to collect the money from people who would be willing to help out with the bills. If somebody wants to do that and take over the hosting/billing then that is the perfect solution in my eyes. Ever since we moved to our own server the site has been rock solid, so I've not had to do anything on it in months.
Oh indeed - I don't think anybody's trying to persuade you to stay, Kev; much as it'd be lovely you've understandably had enough and you've certainly done enough.

As I say, assuming mods stay in place it seems to me the jobs are:

* Making money – poss via subscribers but all ideas welcome
* Paying bills/hosting - poss AT?
* Tech help if needed (glad to hear it's steady recently) - ??

Anything else to mention, Kev? I don't wish to make it sound easy, just to simplify the roles requiring filling so that people might step forward.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:11 pm

Haha, that is as simple as it gets really.

Obviously if anything was to seriously go wrong I'd always be around and contactable.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:14 pm

Would happily help with the finances.

Agree on those points DSB. Would be useful to have someone on hand to fix bugs should they arise, but steadiness is good.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:36 pm

I'd volunteer to do the techie stuff, but I can barely access the site let alone run the fecking thing!

I will pay towards but have neither the time nor technical ability to go further. Hopefully this site will continue in its current form, without erroneous advertising.

Keveh, it's really all been said. Thanks for giving a bunch of idiots a place to call home.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:49 pm

Same as the above really. I could offer little on the techie side of things but happy to help on admin matters if alongside others. ... & a fee now & again is fine by me.

... & Keveh, the reason I came onto this site was that it was such a cut above the others, and it remain vastly so. My thanks for all you've done and have continued to do. No negatives whatsoever on your feeling that you've had enough.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:52 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:I'd volunteer to do the techie stuff
For the love of God, man, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :shock:

;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:04 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:I'd volunteer to do the techie stuff
For the love of God, man, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :shock:

;)

Well, precisely. :mrgreen:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:09 pm

If I may, I'd like to make a proposal...

I've checked with Kev and it looks like my own server is capable of handling the site. This leaves us with 2 options as I see it, subject to how Kev would want to proceed:

1. Leave the forum where it is and between us manage the payments and run the site at the current costs (£25pm).
2. Transfer the forum to my server, where it would have it's own standalone account and therefore easily transferable in the future. The cost of this option would definitely be less based on the current forum needs. If the forum suddenly became the Facebook of football, we might have to invest more!

I have experience of administering a forum in the past, though using a different platform (not massively dissimilar). I would prefer to have some help/back-up on the technical side (throwaway?).

If all were agreed on option 2 I would propose to form a small committee to decide on how the site should be run. Things like advertising v subscription v donation etc. Also for someone on that committee to take responsibility for the raising of funds. I would further propose that any surplus funds either be put into development of the site, or used for a TW event or charity purposes - again, all agreed by a committee.

How do people want to proceed?