Site For Sale

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

Re: Site For Sale

Post by William the White » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:02 pm

i would be dismayed if what is easily the most interesting BW site disappeared (and want to thank Keveh hugely for hat he has done).

Techie stuff is beyond me. A standing order isn't.

Monthly or annually i'm fine to contribute.

Just let's not lose this!

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:12 pm

Hi all,

More than happy to help if needs be. Got 8 years+ worth of web development experience (see renaultretail.co.uk, daciaretail.co.uk to name but two). I'm currently building educational software for the Premier League so i'm at least partly in the region of working on footballing sites.

I don't come on the site as much as I used to, so moderating the site would be largely left to others who would be willing but as it stands i've been here even before it became what it is today and can lend a hand. I've recently setup an internal version of the PHPBB forums and know how much of a pain they are to work with but I would imagine it would be a case of moving over the DNS record to the new server and just simply copying over the database.

I'm running a dedicated server over in Germany and a VPS so that would be an option (it's already setup and ready to go).

Site payments aren't necessary (although they would be very welcome).

If you want to go down a different route then i'd be happy to help toward.

Thanks Keveh for the hard work.

Regards,

Martin

(just to add another option anyway, i'm sure if AT's more than willing and capable then he'll probably be more active on the forums than I would be)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:26 pm

Thanks Mar. All offers welcome. As I say, it requires a combination (between us) of expertise, enthusiasm and a tiny wee bit of cash* so let's see what's the best way of divvying those up. On the server/techy site-running side, I've very little idea - one to discuss between you/AT/AW/whoever else (sorry if I've missed you out).

*TKIZ - it wouldn't have to be PayPal, could be a regular standing order set up from your bank - but let's wait and see on that.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:50 pm

Thank you Keveh for all the hard work you have put in giving Bolton fans near and far somewhere to vent their frustrations, celebrate our victories and most importantly make new friends. I have made several new friends being on this forum, young and old and would be very disappointed to see it close. Thankfully it sounds like we have an army of contributors willing to step in and offer some financial help, I would certainly be more than willing to pay a couple of quid a month to help keep it going, we also seem to have a few contributors who are willing to use their I.T skills and time to sort the techie side of it, sadly this isn't something I will be much help for. I suggest that the moderators and those who are looking to get involved in the technical side discuss with Kev how to make this transition and which off the several options discussed would be most viable. The rest of us although lacking in I.T skills would clearly like to help in a financial way and how to best go about raising the funds to keep the forum going.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:54 pm

Thanks for everything, Keveh. Didn't you do the tshirts too?
More than happy to contribute to the fighting fund. Worth it for the quality banter (ahem).
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:37 pm

I'll help out with a regular financial contribution but sadly my technical knowledge is pityfully poor.
Thanks Keveh for keeping it going for so long
Last edited by Salford Trotter on Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Voice Of Reason

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:38 pm

Yeah i did the t-shirts as well, all of that profit went to paying for the site also, none of us took any profit out of it. Our "for the fans, by the fans" mantra has always been a big part of what I think makes this site and it's great to see it still exists in the responses and pm's I've got relating to this thread.

Mar, you're right in that I could simply transfer the files and database over to somebody to set up on their own site (AT has also been in touch) and we'd change the DNS. However, the site is nearly 2GB in size with all the historic data. I can easily zip it all up for somebody to download though. If somebody like yourself or AT already have a VPS/Dedicated server then there would be a very minimal cost, just a few people need to chip in.

As mentioned before, there is very little maintenance that I have had to do in the past 6 months, in fact I'm unable to think of anything at all. The front end isn't used any more, I'd personally get rid of the front end and make the whole site the forum but still offer access to the front end for historical reasons. I'd also offer my help in any way that would be needed.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:40 pm

Can't offer anything technically, but happy to contribute financially. Made some good friends via TW, so it would be a shame to see the site go.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:56 pm

I'd like to be involved too with a donation, shall keep watching for news this is one of the best forums going.
You'll be back one day Kev its like riding a bike you never forget :mrgreen:

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:09 am

I know how you feel about Football Kev. I enjoy the site, but I rarely even go into 'The Trotters' board any more, maybe have a quick read through the transfer rumours but that's about it. im still keen enough that i want to keep abreast of the clubs affairs but have no desire to discuss them. Certainly never venture into 'Other Footy' tho, or the other three.

Banter pages are great though. Its a great resource for reccos from the Books/watching/cooking/restaurants/boozing pages, i like the jokes and asking random stuff in the chit chat. its the procrastinators dream. I like how there's a good north/south mix, or more specifically Bolton/London too. For someone who splits their time equally between both its pretty refreshing to openly discuss places/events in both areas.

so for this reason alone ill absolutely chuck in some silver.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:47 am

maybe it would be kindest to all of us to quietly axe the "trotters" section altogether - then we can all relax and talk about other stuff that doesn't ruin our weekend with such monotonous regularity?? :wink:

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:16 am

I'd happily contribute financially. I don't post that often but I visit the forum every day and I've been here forever. It's the only decent Bolton forum and I'd be lost without it.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:46 am

Damn, this is a shame.

I'm keen to help out but I'm not too experienced in the back-end/ database/ hosting side, though I've worked for a few years as a front-end dev so imagine I could be of some assistance!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:00 am

thebish wrote:maybe it would be kindest to all of us to quietly axe the "trotters" section altogether - then we can all relax and talk about other stuff that doesn't ruin our weekend with such monotonous regularity?? :wink:

What? And get rid of my fantastic transfer thread? Not bloody likely!

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:39 am

Happy to donate or pay monthly. More than happy to continue to execute the bad guys as and when they pop their heads above the parapet and act as jailer to those who need to be taken out of circulation for a while.

Kev, this is a great site and it stands as a tribute to your hard work and dedication. I hope that it continues to flourish. I think that it will.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:42 am

Zulus Thousand of em wrote: Kev, this is a great site and it stands as a tribute to your hard work and dedication. I hope that it continues to flourish. I think that it will.
That.

Cheers, Kev, and thanks for everything, mate.
May the bridges I burn light your way

onlywanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by onlywanderer » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:28 pm

I'd like to echo the 'happy to contribute financially, useless at I.T' mantra.

Visit the site every day without fail. Would be a terrible shame to lose it.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:40 pm

.... all his tweets are about football

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:09 pm

Mar wrote:Hi all,

More than happy to help if needs be. Got 8 years+ worth of web development experience (see renaultretail.co.uk, daciaretail.co.uk to name but two). I'm currently building educational software for the Premier League so i'm at least partly in the region of working on footballing sites.

I don't come on the site as much as I used to, so moderating the site would be largely left to others who would be willing but as it stands i've been here even before it became what it is today and can lend a hand. I've recently setup an internal version of the PHPBB forums and know how much of a pain they are to work with but I would imagine it would be a case of moving over the DNS record to the new server and just simply copying over the database.

I'm running a dedicated server over in Germany and a VPS so that would be an option (it's already setup and ready to go).

Site payments aren't necessary (although they would be very welcome).

If you want to go down a different route then i'd be happy to help toward.

Thanks Keveh for the hard work.

Regards,

Martin

(just to add another option anyway, i'm sure if AT's more than willing and capable then he'll probably be more active on the forums than I would be)
Sent you a PM Mar.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:31 pm

To those it may concern.

I suggest the following amendments to the way things are running:

Server hosting: Mine or Abdoulaye's Twin. I recommend the dedicated server approach whichever one we decide to take. We both have one so its neither here nor there.

Repository: I suggest we migrate to a GitHub repository for the website so that whoever wants to contribute can wherever they want to. I've created a base repository on GitHub for the time being https://github.com/trxndynamics/thewanderer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which will eventually become the basis for a working TW website. This will act as a repo for the website and the website only. I'll setup a few people as the main contributors to the github repo so that its not just one person that manages it. The invitation is open to a select few for managing the repo to begin with, e.g. Abdoulayes Twin, Myself, Keveh (should he wish it, even if it is at arms length), and a few others.

Website: Coded in PHP to coincide with phpBB. I'm open to suggestions but i'm keen on setting it up in Laravel with Bootstrap. I'll more than likely use Vagrant and Puphpet for the dependencies. I'll setup a basic template for the layout so that we've got a platform to build upon (although feel free to modify the layout and push that via the git repo). If you are not familiar with the Laravel, Vagrant, Composer, Bootstrap combo then don't worry i'll write a startup guide for getting the ball rolling in the readme.md file.

Funding: I recommend for those that are willing and interesting in contributing towards the TW fund that we allocate a significant chunk to go to Keveh for his hard work and efforts over the past 10 years.

Regards,

Martin