Summer Holidays

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Summer Holidays

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:28 am

Beefheart wrote:
thebish wrote:i've always wanted to do the canal boat thing - but always fought shy of it with small kids... but - hey - now i don't have any small kids!!
How small? They're mostly only about 4ft deep. I went on a canal boat last year and it was pretty good fun. We didn't come across any locks which I was a bit disappointed about. You can only go about 4mph but it's not like you're in a rush to go anywhere, and whether it's technically legal or not I reckon it makes it pretty safe to drink and drive (or drink and tiller?).
Many years ago we did a stag weekend on a couple of canal boats down to Bath. We of course stopped off at pretty much every pub on the way. I had a go on the tiller and wasn't far off bouncing off the sides like those 10 pin bowling side bars for kids :oops: We ended up moored up outside Bath Rugby Club and ended up crawling under the gates for a game of footy in the early hours. Managed to set fire to the stag (technically it was the barman) and got into much trouble with the bride afterwards :lol:

All in all a fine weekend, though the locks in the pissing wet wind with a hangover wasn't a highlight.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:37 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Beefheart wrote:I'm planning on visiting a few European cities later this year, and see which one has the best Christmas Market whilst I'm there. I guess the week you've got booked off is too early to do something similar.
Oh I don't know. I'd be surprised if the one in Manny isn't on already.

Some great ideas there, chaps. Cheers. Plenty to think about.

Is anyone on here a member of The National Trust? Is it worth it?

And Will - yes, let's do that. Do you know anywhere good en route / nearby for lunch?

General - Me and a mate have been saying for as long as I can remember that we'll do the canal boat thing. Many thanks for the link.
If you're treating it as a purchase rather than a charitable donation then I don't think so unless you use it lots. Not sure how much stuff there is up in the NW, but I had the cheaper young person's membership for a few years. Using it a few times a summer in Cornwall for free parking and reduced entry probably saved money, but not enough for full membership I don't think.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:41 am

Beefheart wrote:
thebish wrote:i've always wanted to do the canal boat thing - but always fought shy of it with small kids... but - hey - now i don't have any small kids!!
How small? They're mostly only about 4ft deep. I went on a canal boat last year and it was pretty good fun. We didn't come across any locks which I was a bit disappointed about. You can only go about 4mph but it's not like you're in a rush to go anywhere, and whether it's technically legal or not I reckon it makes it pretty safe to drink and drive (or drink and tiller?).

i wasn't worried about drowning them - but about them getting bored and not having much space to run about. The attraction (to me) is chugging slowly and lazily all day down a canal - stopping off fof a pub lunch or to explore a town/village stop... that wouldn't really have mixed well with having small children! not MY small children anyway! :D

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:53 am

thebish wrote:
Beefheart wrote:

i wasn't worried about drowning them - but about them getting bored and not having much space to run about. The attraction (to me) is chugging slowly and lazily all day down a canal - stopping off fof a pub lunch or to explore a town/village stop... that wouldn't really have mixed well with having small children! not MY small children anyway! :D
I see, I guess your kids weren't massive Rosie & Jim fans like I was when I was very young. I think going through a lock, on an actual canal boat, at that age would be too much excitement for my parents to handle.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:15 pm

id love to have a dab at it too. did the river cruisers on Norfolk Broads once. that was alright. but i can only go a few days before i crave some adrenaline.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:51 pm

my neighbour used to do it - and he reckoned it was the number one most relaxiong thing he ever did...
I've got a friend who's done it all over UK and in France. He absolutely loves it.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:05 pm

I did it once, for 2 days & one night. There are loads of canals & basins round here & it's beautiful countryside.

It was intolerably dull. After about 2 hours I couldn't wait for it to be over.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:06 pm

My Dad went last year to the Norfolk broads (he's 61). He was bored off his tits
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:14 pm

See, I'd absolutely love the chance to see bits of the country from a completely different angle.
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:20 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:See, I'd absolutely love the chance to see bits of the country from a completely different angle.
ahh - but you're not an all-action adrenalin junkie like our Bobo... 8)

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:52 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Cotswolds. Can't be beaten.

... or let me help Bish overcome his shyness and I invite you down to Torquay !! The restaurants in Dartmouth are cracking.

You're welcome.
Though, thinking about it .... advice on a week travelling in the UK. Dan's your man, Shirley.
Bruce and Dan's Shitholes in 7 days DVD out soon :shock:
Only a week, you would struggle to go to every sh*thole in a week, a month yes but a week no.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:53 am

bwfcdan94 wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Cotswolds. Can't be beaten.

... or let me help Bish overcome his shyness and I invite you down to Torquay !! The restaurants in Dartmouth are cracking.

You're welcome.
Though, thinking about it .... advice on a week travelling in the UK. Dan's your man, Shirley.
Bruce and Dan's Shitholes in 7 days DVD out soon :shock:
Only a week, you would struggle to go to every sh*thole in a week, a month yes but a week no.
You need to save some shitholes for the 2015 and 2016 editions. Assuming Bruce hasn't throttled you by then :wink:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:10 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:See, I'd absolutely love the chance to see bits of the country from a completely different angle.
Bruce, next time you're in Erbistock pop to Trevor Basin and rent one. You can take it over the Pont ... a canal bridge with no rail on the water side and a drop of about 120'. It's truly amazing. Then come back and follow it along the more typical route toward Llangollen and I assure you that after a period of relaxed tranquillity when you feel there is little better on God's green Earth you'll begin to lose interest.

A two, maybe even four hour hire is great & I recommend it. Then get off, drive up Panorama, into Llan', have a bite and plan a game of golf at Llangollen GC & forget this canal nonsense.

Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:24 am

Crikey. See, this is where I hate having a fear of heights. That looks fantastic........ from here. The reality is though that I'd be hiding away in the cabin, facing the floor, whilst someone else navigates.

The rest of it sounds cock-on, mind. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:04 pm

it just takes a fat man to jump in either end - and the wash would take you over....

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:13 pm

Near here is the Granite Way cycle path - it goes over the Meldon Viaduct - it looks spectacular!

I'll be doing that sometime in the near future...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:45 pm

^^^ Railings are for wimps !!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:48 pm

bobo the clown wrote:^^^ Railings are for wimps !!
there are plenty of anti-cyclist drivers around our Devon twisty roads who would be in favour of removing those railings!! :D

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:33 pm

Well, Fall holidays really. My boys went off to Munich for the weekend for Oktoberfest. I have just seen some pictures.

My ancestors would turn in their grave if they knew my older son, Rob, the scion of the family, was prancing round Europe in lederhosen ffs.

Fortunately his younger brother seems to be sticking to beer.

"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:35 pm

never had to worry about term times before but its half term week ending the 31st Oct. I was just looking at doing something for a few days, like maybe take Thurs & Fri off and stay till Sunday?

original thought was Centre Parcs but i could literally get a weeks all inclusive in the canaries for less cash! next thought was a caravan somewhere South Coast / South West? Cornwall, Devon, Dorset? all places ive never explored, which makes choosing tricky. also mostly only offer 4 nights mon-fri & 3 nights fri-mon neither of which really work. also wanna take the dog.

Please inspire me?