Harold Hassall

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Harold Hassall

Post by Nicko58 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:32 pm

A veteran of 1953 cup final, the club have announced that he has died at the age of 85.

Bolton born, he made over a hundred appearances for the Wanderers and also played for England five times, scoring four goals. His career was sadly cut short at the age of 26 as a result of a serious knee injury sustained on New Year's Day in 1955.

R.I.P.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Harold Hassall

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:50 pm

Another one gone. Quiet sort of bloke, played inside left to Bob Langton's wing in the 1953 F.A.Cup Final. Sad to hear. R.I.P.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:20 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Another one gone. Quiet sort of bloke, played inside left to Bob Langton's wing in the 1953 F.A.Cup Final. Sad to hear. R.I.P.
I can't remember seeing him play though I saw the '53 Cup final on tv. Thinking back I can only remember Nat, Willie Moir, Eric Bell, Ralph Banks and Doug Holden from that game. :oops: Anyway, RIP.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:58 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Another one gone. Quiet sort of bloke, played inside left to Bob Langton's wing in the 1953 F.A.Cup Final. Sad to hear. R.I.P.
I can't remember seeing him play though I saw the '53 Cup final on tv. Thinking back I can only remember Nat, Willie Moir, Eric Bell, Ralph Banks and Doug Holden from that game. :oops: Anyway, RIP.
The line up was: Hanson, Ball, Banks, Wheeler, Barrass, Bell, Holden, Moir, Lofthouse, Hassall and Langton. I can quote it in my sleep. Can't remember Saturday's team mind.. :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:53 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:The line up was: Hanson, Ball, Banks, Wheeler, Barrass, Bell, Holden, Moir, Lofthouse, Hassall and Langton. I can quote it in my sleep. Can't remember Saturday's team mind.. :lol:
And I doubt anyone will remember it in 62 years' time.

RIP HH.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:33 am

RIP.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:27 pm

Somewhat belatedly

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 11032.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting life after retiring from football
What goes around may still come around