Stadium names

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DrDom
Hopeful
Hopeful

Stadium names

Post by DrDom » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:09 am

Hello all, we are a research team at Manchester University looking at fans’ views on the naming of football grounds. We’re really interested in getting any Bolton fans’ views on the naming and renaming of club’s ground over the years. Would love to know how anyone feels about all those name changes (Burnden Park, The Reebok, The Macron etc.), and what those names mean (or don’t mean) to you. We have the moderator’s permission to start this thread, so look forward to reading some posts on this…

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Stadium names

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:11 am

I was hoping that when Reebok ended their relationship with s, we'd name the ground as something proper - The amount we got just about covered Craig Davies's contract - Given the choice of having our 'own' name, or having a shit player that needed paying for, I'd have taken the former option any feckin' day of the week
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:49 am

^^ what he said.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:53 am

boltonboris wrote:I was hoping that when Reebok ended their relationship with s, we'd name the ground as something proper - The amount we got just about covered Craig Davies's contract - Given the choice of having our 'own' name, or having a shit player that needed paying for, I'd have taken the former option any feckin' day of the week
Blimey, when you find out we only get peanuts for handing out name over to a sports company, it makes you wonder what BWFC are playing at.

I'd prefer our own name, please.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:17 am

I still called our place 'The Reebok' or 'The Bok' and will probably continue so to do.

I challenge anyone, without Googling them, to give me the current names of the grounds of the following clubs;

Bradford City
Leicester City
Bournemouth
Bury
Colchester
York (Truly horrific)
Brighton
Derby
Huddersfield
Peterborough
Walsall
Chesterfield
Mansfield
Orient
Crawley

And a bonus point if you can name St Helens RFL ground. ;)

And I never know which is The Emirates and which is The Etihad?! :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:19 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:I still called our place 'The Reebok' or 'The Bok' and will probably continue so to do.

I challenge anyone, without Googling them, to give me the current names of the grounds of the following clubs;

Bradford City
Leicester City
Bournemouth
Bury
Colchester
York (Truly horrific)
Brighton
Derby
Huddersfield
Peterborough
Walsall
Chesterfield
Mansfield
Orient
Crawley

York City's was the horrific Kit-Kat Stadium, but they've now reverted it back to Bootham Crescent.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:23 am

I still think the Reebok/Macron is architecturally amongst the most impressive of the stadia.

On balance, last season, you'd have been better off admiring the architecture from the outside than going in to watch what was pretending to be football.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:24 am

Jugs wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:I still called our place 'The Reebok' or 'The Bok' and will probably continue so to do.

York (Truly horrific)

York City's was the horrific Kit-Kat Stadium, but they've now reverted it back to Bootham Crescent.
Aaaah. The old Kit-Kat shuffle.

Just to please the ladies. It's good that they have some influence on football at last. Thy should have their own competition if you ask me.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:29 am

Jugs wrote: York City's was the horrific Kit-Kat Stadium, but they've now reverted it back to Bootham Crescent.
Have they given it a break?

Sorry :oops:

DrDom
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by DrDom » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:21 pm

boltonboris wrote:I was hoping that when Reebok ended their relationship with s, we'd name the ground as something proper - The amount we got just about covered Craig Davies's contract - Given the choice of having our 'own' name, or having a shit player that needed paying for, I'd have taken the former option any feckin' day of the week
So what do fans think 'something proper' would be in terms of a name for the stadium?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:33 pm

DrDom wrote:
So what do fans think 'something proper' would be in terms of a name for the stadium?
Well, I for one think that one of the ends should be named after Graham Bell. :)

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:35 pm

DrDom wrote:
'proper' stadium names would be either the location of the stadium (what road they're on or the district) or named after famous players or members of the club.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:38 pm

DrDom wrote:
Anything that isn't an advertisement for a brand!

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:40 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
DrDom wrote:
'proper' stadium names would be either the location of the stadium (what road they're on or the district) or named after famous players or members of the club.
So ours would be something like Middlebrook Park/Stadium, Horwich Park/Stadium?
To be honest I prefer The Macron Stadium and get a bit of much needed money.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:45 pm

The Kevin Davies Arena has a ring to it.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:10 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
DrDom wrote:
Well, I for one think that one of the ends should be named after Graham Bell. :)

Like City did for Colin?

bettyrasta
Promising
Promising

Post by bettyrasta » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:07 pm

The (Warwick) Rimmer end has a nice ring to it! Sorry

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:00 pm

ITK it paid for zach clough's .

DrDom
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by DrDom » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:54 pm

Enjoying hearing your name suggestions - thanks!

Anyone else call it The Bok? How did this name come about?

What do you think about when you hear it called "The Bok"? The stadium? Reebok the company?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:30 pm

DrDom wrote:
Enjoying hearing your name suggestions - thanks!

Anyone else call it The Bok? How did this name come about?

What do you think about when you hear it called "The Bok"? The stadium? Reebok the company?
You know, & I've not studied this much, but I suspect "the 'Bok" comes from a foreshortening of the word "Reebok". Now I could be wrong and I'm not a sophisticated academic, but I just feel that's the case.

&, you know, I've only just clicked that there was a Company called 'Reebok' as well as that being the stadium's (previous/original) name. Wow. Coincidence or what !?!?!?

How do I feel when I here that ? Personally all warm and cuddly but tinged with a slight sense of psychotic paranoia. Though, to be fair, I do about most things. It also makes me feel unreasonably pessimistic .... but ditto, and a little nostalgic too. Plus orange. I do feel rather orange when I hear it called that.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".