Technology Thread.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Technology Thread.

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:28 am

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insi ... 3cec62338b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:21 am

Just a minor point, but my enjoyment is being curtailed.

For years I've rejected Facebook adverts and when, inevitably, asked why I've always ticked the button saying they were "sexually explicit and offensive". This is my reply whatever the nature of the advert ... the more innocent the topic the better.

They've now changed that option to it merely being "offensive".

I feel let down.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:18 pm

^

just use an adblocker, facebook's teh worst with adverts.

well it's not , its probably google.

"you searched for 'anti virus program'

<ad content>

we-wont-ransomcrypt-your-computer-honest-antivirus.ru

</adcontent>

results

1. we-wont-ransomcrypt-your-computer-honest-antivirus,ru

2. microsoft defender

3. etc

.. terrible

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:53 am

a1 is not allowed to laugh - or even chuckle to himself:

I've been using Windows 7 Home Premium (32 bit) software for years. It worked well. Windows 10 will eventually be installed (after things settle down a bit) but the 'lower' versions seem to have some restrictions that will not suit me. In particular it is said that updates will be downloaded and installed automatically. Given that my computer chuckles away all day and all night keeping my weather site updated at eight second intervals this could be a problem.

So I pondered over this conundrum and decided to purchase and install Windows 7 Professional (64 bit). Preparations then began for the changeover. Everything backed up to an external drive but in full knowledge that many programmes are dependent on the existing Register, which means re-installing them. The launch date was close but before taking that perilous step I installed extra memory in order to take advantage of the 64 bit system. A deep, deep breath was taken and the newly burned ISO disc put to use.

Easy peasey.

The disaster it created though is not at all easy to sort out. I've spent two or three days trying to get things back to normal with minimal success. It's a fight I will eventually win even though I know only too well that it's only round one.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:40 am

The joys of trying to start again with a Windows 8 install. 4 hours and only 16% done :shock: Going to be a long day :(

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:47 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:The joys of trying to start again with a Windows 8 install. 4 hours and only 16% done :shock: Going to be a long day :(
I've just been offered Windows 10 (for free). Should I bother? I've never really got to grips with Windows 8. :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:51 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:The joys of trying to start again with a Windows 8 install. 4 hours and only 16% done :shock: Going to be a long day :(
I've just been offered Windows 10 (for free). Should I bother? I've never really got to grips with Windows 8. :?
Long term yes (it's available from 29 July), but you might want to wait a few months until it's been out in the wild for a bit. It's supposed to be free as an upgrade for 12 months from launch.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:30 am

So, the last 80% went in about 30 minutes :crazy:

I've not even gotten a desktop or metro screen yet and I've got 2 blue screens of death. This is a completely fresh install after wiping everything. Either I've got a hardware problem or someone up there really hates me :(

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:43 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
I've not even gotten............. (
Did you pour yourself a cup o' cwaaaarfee and toast up some o' that there cornbread whilst you you were at it?

"And that one's for John Lennon, you Yankee fecking c*nt" :D

May the bridges I burn light your way

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:54 am

I do apologise, but Windows 8 has driven me to it :oops:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:52 pm

This looks cool as fcuk: http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/16/89765 ... smartphone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; !
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:06 pm

Hard drive from an old PC now installed, but Windows 8 is not liking it one bit. Back to the percentage count up taking years to pass by :evil:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:09 am

Upgraded one of my computers to Windows 10 from Windows 7 yesterday. I'll be going back to windows 7!

Windows 10 is a bit less shit than Windows 8, but I'm yet to think of a single thing that feels like an improvement over Windows 7. There probably are some, but I'll be buggered if I can think of one.

Pros -

The upgrade itself was easy. I backed everything up, but all my files and software were brought over to Windows 10 without having to do anything. All my software seems to be working ok so far. If you do upgrade make sure you back everything up first, just in case.

Classic Shell (free) and Start10 ($5) are available to make it a little better.

Cons -

Drivers are a mess. My touchpad has lost functionality and I cannot find a way to get it back. Some other drivers are a messed up and so far I've been unable to fix it.

I cannot turn Windows Defender off, which means I'm running 2 anti virus programs - not a good thing. Looks like there are some hack to fix this, but the first didn't work.

The Start button is back. But it is shit compared to the one in Windows 7.

They've hidden shit in different places like they did in Windows 8. You will spend shit loads of time Googling how to find/do stuff.

When you install Windows 10 DO NOT USE the express settings they make out is the way to go. You will end up sharing most of your data with Microsoft. I'm sure the EU will have something to say about this when they catch up in 5 years time.

After you've installed you need to go to the updates section (you'll need to Google it!) as by default you will be giving away your bandwith to help Microsoft save money on servers. This is important as if you have a data cap, as many broadband providers do, you might find yourself breaching it very early in the month. Not to mention that your provider might start to throttle your connection because of it.

Updates are automatic. This means if you use certain older drivers for a reason, you're going to have fun. Like much of it, you can probably find hacks to get around it, but who can be bothered.

It still looks and feels like Windows 8. It's horrible. My advice is to stick with Windows 7 if you're still on it. Windows 7 is supported to 2020 and unless you think your PC will still be surviving after that, then why go through the hassle and pain? If you're on Windows 8 then upgrade. It's a little better, but don't get your hopes up.

Windows 10 was supposed to be the best of Windows 7 and 8. It's not. It's Windows 8.2 dressed up as some massive improvement.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:25 am

^ Seems apposite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKe3PZ_4pvE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:26 am

Windows 10 is great in my view. Takes a short adjustment but very intuitive once that has happened.

Agree about the data privacy shenanigans but doesn't take long to turn that crap off. Overall a very decent improvement.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:03 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Windows 10 is great in my view. Takes a short adjustment but very intuitive once that has happened.

Agree about the data privacy shenanigans but doesn't take long to turn that crap off. Overall a very decent improvement.

See!! AT is right! I've heard that when you install Windows 10 it writes all of your Forum posts for you...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:36 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Windows 10 is great in my view. Takes a short adjustment but very intuitive once that has happened.

An improvement over Windows 7? :shock:

Are you mad? <------- best not answer that :wink:

PS - welcome back

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:36 am

thebish wrote:

See!! AT is right! I've heard that when you install Windows 10 it writes all of your Forum posts for you...
:lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:25 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

An improvement over Windows 7? :shock:

Are you mad? <------- best not answer that :wink:

PS - welcome back
Depends where you're coming from I suppose. I had 8.1 and liked it. But I use my PC for work stuff office, video editing and email. Had few problems with 8.1 and 10 is working well for me so far.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:44 pm

I gave 8.1 on my main laptop. It's OK.

OK, in the sense that I gave it default to a front screen that looks exactly like 7 and I make absolutely no use whatsoever of those shite App tiles on the proper front page.

So I guess I'm getting about half the functionality the designers intended ... if that.

Not since Ford got rid of the class leading Grandad and replaced it with the upgrade they called Scorpio which sank without trace in about 3 years can I recall such fckg arrogance by a supplier.

10 HAS to be an improvement.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".