Question about a fan takeover

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Question about a fan takeover

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:20 am

After reading about Leeds fans agreeing a deal to buy Cellino's share at Leeds, it got me thinking about our financial issues and whether there's been any interest in Bolton fans coming together to buy the club from Davies. I very much doubt something like this will happen, as nice as it'd be, but I'm just curious as to whether it's ever been considered and if so, how serious the intent was.

It's a shame that football fans resort to this step after their club gets ruined by a terrible owner. Our fans lack the desperation to do something like this because we still have a very generous owner rather than a Tan, Venky, Oyston or Cellino so we haven't seen the effects of a truly awful owner yet, thankfully. I'd be in full support of a movement from the fans to buy Bolton though. As much as I'd like a rich foreigner to come in and try and get us promoted, it'd be nice if the club was kept in more loyal and passionate hands than that.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: Question about a fan takeover

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:53 am

SmokinFrazier wrote:After reading about Leeds fans agreeing a deal to buy Cellino's share at Leeds, it got me thinking about our financial issues and whether there's been any interest in Bolton fans coming together to buy the club from Davies. I very much doubt something like this will happen, as nice as it'd be, but I'm just curious as to whether it's ever been considered and if so, how serious the intent was.

It's a shame that football fans resort to this step after their club gets ruined by a terrible owner. Our fans lack the desperation to do something like this because we still have a very generous owner rather than a Tan, Venky, Oyston or Cellino so we haven't seen the effects of a truly awful owner yet, thankfully. I'd be in full support of a movement from the fans to buy Bolton though. As much as I'd like a rich foreigner to come in and try and get us promoted, it'd be nice if the club was kept in more loyal and passionate hands than that.
Eddie Davies is a fan. Phil Gartside is too.

After the fans buy them out, what then? Would they be happy to (collectively and individually) amass debt to buy players and management structure to get us back into the Premiership?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:37 am

When someone began an on-line campaign to help buy Le Fondre I think it amassed £17.34 and some nectar points. I can't see us getting £30m plus operating costs any time soon.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:40 am

bobo the clown wrote:When someone began an on-line campaign to help buy Le Fondre I think it amassed £17.34 and some nectar points.
:lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:20 am

To run the club at current budget there is a £10m a year bill that needs picking up. Eddie was doing this but won't now, hence director loans from Warburtons and sale of land.

If a fan consortium owned the club they would need to find this money annually or reduce the budget as is happening now. And that is without any money to spend or increase the wage bill with.

It is a pie in the sky notion. The only way the club moves forwards is if someone with the financial means to not only maintain our current position but to allow the club to add to it invests.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:34 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:It is a pie in the sky notion.
Seems to work ok for Barcelona! :twisted:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:45 am

Aren't German clubs majority fan-owned too? Where does the cash come from? I'm
Guessing it's more complex than online whip rounds or the odd bucket outside the turnstiles.
Usually seems to be lower league clubs that do it here, so give it a couple of seasons SF!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:58 am

They generally have a number of fans that happen to be wadded....and quite a few are backed by businesses as "fans". Wolfsburg are worried, coz they're backed by VW...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:04 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Aye, I'm wondering which British bank is likely to let us rack up hundreds of millions of pounds of debt then wipe it off though....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:08 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Aye, I'm wondering which British bank is likely to let us rack up hundreds of millions of pounds of debt then wipe it off though....
This should be straight forward enough. We just tell them BWFC are a financial derivative. We're not sure what's in the derivative as it's held in a trust, but it could be worth billions...they've previously shown good form wt just that particular gamble...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:29 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:After reading about Leeds fans agreeing a deal to buy Cellino's share at Leeds, it got me thinking about our financial issues and whether there's been any interest in Bolton fans coming together to buy the club from Davies.
Most can't be arsed even turning up to watch the games!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:08 pm

I've got £7.50 spare. As long as I've got first dibs on manager selection...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:26 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:I've got £7.50 spare. As long as I've got first dibs on manager selection...
Works for me. For my £7.50, I get to pick the team.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:39 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:I've got £7.50 spare. As long as I've got first dibs on manager selection...
Works for me. For my £7.50, I get to pick the team.
I've got you marked down as Chairman.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:42 pm

I think it should be the dream-team Smokin Frazier and BWFC_Insane double act...

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:55 pm

thebish wrote:

I think it should be the dream-team Smokin Frazier and BWFC_Insane double act...
I'd back that selection... I'm even prepared to up my shareholding to £8.75 on that basis.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:04 pm

But, as an absolute minimum we'll need a good corporate name. When those rags named their club FC United of Manchester, I couldn't stop smirking, and Leeds Fans United... Fxck off you uninspired tosspots.
We need to be Syndicate del Del Boy or someat similar. I propose giving Enoch the naming rights, with Bruce as Name Ombudsman.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:14 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:But, as an absolute minimum we'll need a good corporate name. When those rags named their club FC United of Manchester, I couldn't stop smirking, and Leeds Fans United... Fxck off you uninspired tosspots.
We need to be Syndicate del Del Boy or someat similar. I propose giving Enoch the naming rights, with Bruce as Name Ombudsman.
Where do I fit in? :mrgreen:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:15 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:But, as an absolute minimum we'll need a good corporate name. When those rags named their club FC United of Manchester, I couldn't stop smirking, and Leeds Fans United... Fxck off you uninspired tosspots.
Where do I fit in? :mrgreen:
Clearly, you'll be in charge of our European campaigns...

Norpig
Promising
Promising

Post by Norpig » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:19 am

We would end up having 10 managers a season as nobody is happy with the manager for more than a few months at a time! I know it worked for Watford last season but they had buckets and buckets of money!