Today I'm happy about......

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: Today I'm happy about......

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:54 pm

What was the production Bish?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:50 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Yes - proud dad is good. Poster size nearly stopped my table working.
stopped your table working?? :D

I hope the chairs survived!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:51 pm

LeverEnd wrote:What was the production Bish?

it was "Meet Tony and Oliver: The Busom Winter Concert." :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:33 pm

thebish wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Yes - proud dad is good. Poster size nearly stopped my table working.
stopped your table working?? :D

I hope the chairs survived!
Told you it'd stopped working...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:48 pm

This

About. Fecking. Time.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:34 pm

Prufrock wrote:This

About. Fecking. Time.
Good news but a minor first step.

The end of state funded faith schools has to be the aim.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:40 pm

No disagreements from me. Today is still a good day, however, minor step or not!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:04 pm

William the White wrote:

About. Fecking. Time.

Okay, I'll bite at an obvious hook. Replaced by what? The said state funded faith schools don't teach anything else except religion, do they? If I remember ( as a Catholic) we had about half-an-hour per day on Catechism/religious instruction, in Junior school. The rest was learned going to church and what your parents taught you. If the non-religeous drum-thumpers get their own way it will be but a role reversal by a new set of bullies, just like the no smoking laws and overdone political correctness. All replaced by a please-yourself world with no religious guidance as children and relying on parental advice, oh goody. Farnworth's already made a start. Thankfully throwing Christians to lions hasn't come around again...yet. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:25 pm

The judgement only considers schools with a non-religious character..seems like they missed this rather important bit out. As a parent, I have no qualms about some syllabus time being devoted to humanism, to help my children understand differing views. They'll ultimately make their own minds up.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:01 pm

Worthy4England wrote:The judgement only considers schools with a non-religious character..seems like they missed this rather important bit out. As a parent, I have no qualms about some syllabus time being devoted to humanism, to help my children understand differing views. They'll ultimately make their own minds up.
me neither..

anyone care to outline the main things that children should be taught about humanism? Pru?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:32 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
William the White wrote:

About. Fecking. Time.

Okay, I'll bite at an obvious hook. Replaced by what? The said state funded faith schools don't teach anything else except religion, do they? If I remember ( as a Catholic) we had about half-an-hour per day on Catechism/religious instruction, in Junior school. The rest was learned going to church and what your parents taught you. If the non-religeous drum-thumpers get their own way it will be but a role reversal by a new set of bullies, just like the no smoking laws and overdone political correctness. All replaced by a please-yourself world with no religious guidance as children and relying on parental advice, oh goody. Farnworth's already made a start. Thankfully throwing Christians to lions hasn't come around again...yet. :wink:
To be replaced by secular schools in which religion is taught as an important subject - because of its important place in human society. Faith is different - this should be no business of the state and the state should not contribute to its teaching. The state should certainly uphold religious freedom, and parents should, if they wish, share their faith with their children and voluntary organisations, unfunded by the state, including churches, mosques and witches covens should have the right to practise and evangelise.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:36 pm

I, for one, am glad that the state now recognises that all children - even very poor ones - are worth educating and the church no longer has to step in to do it. I'm happy for the state to get on with it.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:56 pm

thebish wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:The judgement only considers schools with a non-religious character..seems like they missed this rather important bit out. As a parent, I have no qualms about some syllabus time being devoted to humanism, to help my children understand differing views. They'll ultimately make their own minds up.
me neither..

anyone care to outline the main things that children should be taught about humanism? Pru?
I think this might offer a start in our thinking. https://humanism.org.uk/humanism/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this: http://iheu.org/humanism/the-amsterdam-declaration/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:11 pm

William the White wrote:
To be replaced by secular schools in which religion is taught as an important subject - because of its important place in human society. Faith is different - this should be no business of the state and the state should not contribute to its teaching. The state should certainly uphold religious freedom, and parents should, if they wish, share their faith with their children and voluntary organisations, unfunded by the state, including churches, mosques and witches covens should have the right to practise and evangelise.
Fortunatley, or unfortunately, Will, as the case may be, the state is monarch ruled with the C of E the guiding star. Granted, it was different in my lifetime to now. We always had the choice, Catholics went to Catholic schools, Protestants to Protestant schools. It worked fine, St Joseph's, my school and church was surrounded by three protestant schools, St Thomas's, St Mathews and Brownlow Fold. Apart from snowball fights and a few lightweight championship of Halliwell and district bouts (once a blue moon) it all worked fine. I was frowned upon by the church for attending Bolton Technical College and we had to avoid assembly and prayers (which personally I found ridiculous as we worshipped the same God.) My own three children and three step childen were all Christened C of E and apart from Sunday School and what they were taught at school they were left to make up their minds. My eldest daughter went to Cannon Slade and Liverpol Uni where she got an English degree. She professes to be an Atheist. None of them ( to my regret) are church attenders, although my grandchildren have been Christened, but it's their choice. Like all else in life, people will find their own path, but without state funding, where would any of them be? If we now need to learn to be human, what have we been doing for the last couple of thousand years and why are we still having wars?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:19 pm

William the White wrote:
thebish wrote:
me neither..

I think this might offer a start in our thinking. https://humanism.org.uk/humanism/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this: http://iheu.org/humanism/the-amsterdam-declaration/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The dilemma I have here, is that if folks want to follow a religion, so be it (for me, it's up to the individual) - I certainly haven't bought my children up to be any particular faith, they've never been to church n stuff or made to say their prayers - they'll get to make their own minds up. That said, I have no problem whatsoever with denominational schools - so I think that choice should be there, where there's sufficient demand.

I do find it rather at odds that people who seem to want freedom of choice for their choice (i.e. to follow their choice to be humanist), they often in the next breath try to stifle another choice (i.e. the option for people to send their children to a state funded denominational school). Clearly this should be on the basis of sufficient demand rather than there are two of us, lets open a school to Offler the Crocodile God...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:41 pm

If the world was comprised of intelligent, reasonable, sensible, peace-loving people, religion might really be a thing of choice that hurt no one. Unfortunately, as shown in Paris, Syria and Turkey this last couple of weeks, it isn't.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:07 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
William the White wrote:
Fortunatley, or unfortunately, Will, as the case may be, the state is monarch ruled with the C of E the guiding star. Granted, it was different in my lifetime to now. We always had the choice, Catholics went to Catholic schools, Protestants to Protestant schools. It worked fine, St Joseph's, my school and church was surrounded by three protestant schools, St Thomas's, St Mathews and Brownlow Fold. Apart from snowball fights and a few lightweight championship of Halliwell and district bouts (once a blue moon) it all worked fine. I was frowned upon by the church for attending Bolton Technical College and we had to avoid assembly and prayers (which personally I found ridiculous as we worshipped the same God.) My own three children and three step childen were all Christened C of E and apart from Sunday School and what they were taught at school they were left to make up their minds. My eldest daughter went to Cannon Slade and Liverpol Uni where she got an English degree. She professes to be an Atheist. None of them ( to my regret) are church attenders, although my grandchildren have been Christened, but it's their choice. Like all else in life, people will find their own path, but without state funding, where would any of them be? If we now need to learn to be human, what have we been doing for the last couple of thousand years and why are we still having wars?
Y'know, Tango, that really doesn't look like a choice...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:29 pm

William the White wrote:
thebish wrote:
me neither..

cool - it would only need 2 or 3 mins of curriculum time then! :-)

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:37 pm

thebish wrote:
William the White wrote:
thebish wrote:
me neither..

cool - it would only need 2 or 3 mins of curriculum time then! :-)
Well, you know, there are years of classes on religious education - so there'll be time to squeeze it in...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:41 pm

clause two of the amsterdam declaration is interesting... "2. Humanism is rational. It seeks to use science creatively, not destructively."

are humanists therefore all pacifists? if not - what on earth does that mean?

I think it is a fabulous statement - honestly - that is a great description of how we should live our lives. It's a shame that most humanists I hear as the spokespersons all seem to use up most of their time being very much more concerned with MUCH more trivial things than the very noble ideals set out here...

if we all lived out that - the world would be an ace place to live... I'd be surprised if most/many who describe themselves as humanists actually do...

which is probably what qualifies it as a religion - all fine words and no actual buttered parsnips to show for them...

also - most of that is already taught in most schools I have ever been involved with...