Bolton vs Rotherham 72/73

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Laraque27
Hopeful
Hopeful

Bolton vs Rotherham 72/73

Post by Laraque27 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:37 pm

Hi guys.

I have a question for a Bolton fan with a good memory. In the game Bolton vs Rotherham in the 3rd division in the 72/73 season, there was something strange and/or controversial about the goal scored by Bolton in the 86th minute in a 2-1 win. Can anyone help me out? I'm stumped.

And yes, it's for a nerdy sports quiz. :)

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Bolton vs Rotherham 72/73

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:50 pm

Before my time fella but the older ones should confirm it was a goal kick issue. Ref had indicated play on, keeper thought it was a goal kick and put ball down. As he began his run up, the striker (Gary Jones?) ran over and kicked it in the net. The goal stood. Keeper was Jim McDonagh I think
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Laraque27
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Laraque27 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:53 pm

Massive thanks. Rotherham went down on goal difference that year, so they must have been slightly miffed.

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:54 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Before my time fella but the older ones should confirm it was a goal kick issue. Ref had indicated play on, keeper thought it was a goal kick and put ball down. As he began his run up, the striker (Gary Jones?) ran over and kicked it in the net. The goal stood. Keeper was Jim McDonagh I think
Just about spot on, McDonagh was stood holding the goalpost ready to run up and take the goalkick, all the crowd at I think at the Lever End, including me, shouted to Garry Jones that the ball wan't out, Jones ran up and sidefooted the ball into the net!! John Byrom got the other goal.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:59 pm

So not really controversial then, other than in the mind of Jimmy possibly?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:03 pm

An amazing "did that really happen ?" moment. As said above, the Lever End picked up on the fact that the ref (I assume via a signal from the linesman) was quite animatedly waving play-on. Jim Mac was apoplectic after. Still, he became our very own a few seasons later.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:06 pm

All above quite correct. I was there on the Lever End and said to my mate "that never went out."

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:11 pm

So nowt like our good goal against Everton in 1997/8 which should have sent them down and kept us up then?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:26 pm

Worthy4England wrote:So nowt like our good goal against Everton in 1997/8 which should have sent them down and kept us up then?
That's a banned topic. Still too painful to contemplate, as is anything to do with Everton, Alan Stubbs, Duncan Fergusson etc. :evil:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:39 pm

Worthy4England wrote:So nowt like our good goal against Everton in 1997/8 which should have sent them down and kept us up then?
The events at Chelsea - Per's miss!!! Had something to do with it.

And - despite the fact i detest Everton, i do have two v gd mates who support them.

I have to say they have no memory of the incident at all...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:48 pm

... and us having a late winner at home v Leeds in the April scratched out as offside despite it been pulled back from the by-line.

The referee later said "sorry, I got that wrong !". Really, sorry. That's OK then.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:27 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
... and us having a late winner at home v Leeds in the April scratched out as offside despite it been pulled back from the by-line.

The referee later said "sorry, I got that wrong !". Really, sorry. That's OK then.
Oh. I forgot that one!

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:35 pm

Late winner? It was an equaliser, weren't it? Would have been 3-3 but instead we lost 2-3.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:37 pm

Jugs wrote:Late winner? It was an equaliser, weren't it? Would have been 3-3 but instead we lost 2-3.
Fair enough. Same impact. Any additional point would have kept us up overall.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:31 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Jugs wrote:Late winner? It was an equaliser, weren't it? Would have been 3-3 but instead we lost 2-3.
Fair enough. Same impact. Any additional point would have kept us up overall.
It was that Italian who barely got a game. Grazioli or something.

EDIT: This lad! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaetano_Giallanza" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:07 am

William the White wrote:

And - despite the fact i detest Everton, i do have two v gd mates who support them.

I went to Chelsea that day completely and utterly convinced we'd get a result. Everton failed to win, Chelsea didn't even care if they won, in fact their fans were urging us to score and send Everton down. And we bottled it, while Todd sat with his chin in his hands. That's when I fell out with him, good manager when things are going for you, hopeless when not.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:23 am

LeverEnd wrote:I went to Chelsea that day completely and utterly convinced we'd get a result. Everton failed to win, Chelsea didn't even care if they won, in fact their fans were urging us to score and send Everton down. And we bottled it, while Todd sat with his chin in his hands. That's when I fell out with him, good manager when things are going for you, hopeless when not.
Yeah, I was there that day too but I don't recall Todd being particularly passive. He was never the rant-and-rave type, but he certainly didn't do nothing that day. In fact, the record shows he made three substitutions during the second half, bringing on a striker and two wingers between the 65th and 73rd minute, including sacrificing a defender.

That said, of course, it could be said that Todd's Bolton failed in the big games - notably that one and the "tracksuits" Play-Off Final the following year.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:27 am

LeverEnd wrote:
William the White wrote:

I went to Chelsea that day completely and utterly convinced we'd get a result. Everton failed to win, Chelsea didn't even care if they won, in fact their fans were urging us to score and send Everton down. And we bottled it, while Todd sat with his chin in his hands. That's when I fell out with him, good manager when things are going for you, hopeless when not.
Well, players need to take more responsibility....you couldn't have timed this better!

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... olin_Todd/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:33 am

I liked Todd's time in charge. We played good football. There were a few disappointments (playoff final), but there were lots of ups too, and he brought in some great players.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:41 am

Jugs wrote:I liked Todd's time in charge. We played good football. There were a few disappointments (playoff final), but there were lots of ups too, and he brought in some great players.
Oh for sure, I'm a Todd fan in general. Much as I loved the Rioch era, that 96/97 season was my personal annus mirabilis. Not just the wins, but the manner of them, and lots went right for me personally away from the football. Happy, happy days.