World Cup 2018

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35820
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:07 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:14 pm
Really enjoyed that. In Dublin, hipster craft ale bar watching the hipster team best the Argies. Final whistle, cut straight to Evita, even the Irish hate then. Diego crying again. Mwah.
A determined team game beating the individual superstars. Unexpected 3-0, but well done Croatia, especially Luca Modric. What a Messi.... :wink:
Socceroos did well to get a draw with Denmark and a few plans are not going as they might. France won 1-0, but that could have gone the other way. All entertaining stuff, none more so than the corned beef tango boys. More fouls then a turkey farm at Christmas (sorry). On with the motley
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23520
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:23 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:07 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:14 pm
Really enjoyed that. In Dublin, hipster craft ale bar watching the hipster team best the Argies. Final whistle, cut straight to Evita, even the Irish hate then. Diego crying again. Mwah.
A determined team game beating the individual superstars. Unexpected 3-0, but well done Croatia, especially Luca Modric. What a Messi.... :wink:
Socceroos did well to get a draw with Denmark and a few plans are not going as they might. France won 1-0, but that could have gone the other way. All entertaining stuff, none more so than the corned beef tango boys. More fouls then a turkey farm at Christmas (sorry). On with the motley
Individual superstars? Messi, Aguero....after that Argentina are really not stacked with superstars.

I said before the game that on paper Croatia have the better players. And that is what happened.

Sure Messi. But Croatia have a better defence, Rakitic, Perisic and Modric who'd all get into Argentina's side. I fancied Croatia to beat them.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12908
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:27 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:38 am

Yeah, I fancied Croatia to edge it, but not to smash them.

Gutted that Rakitic didn't celebrate his goal right in Otamendi's face
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23520
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:53 am

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:38 am
Yeah, I fancied Croatia to edge it, but not to smash them.

Gutted that Rakitic didn't celebrate his goal right in Otamendi's face
Yeah, expected a 1-0/2-1 not 3-0!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19005
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:06 am

Wonderful last ten when Argentina had goooone. Aguero taken off well before or he'd have been after David Luizing someone.

Lots of cuts to Maradona. Bar I was in cut straight to Evita.

Absolutely cracking stuff.

Imagine how good that City team is to make Otamendi look like a professional footballer.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 14999
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:53 pm

Nigeria v Iceland.
Not a single black person playing for Iceland!!!
Not a single white person playing for Nigeria!!!
#racistbastards. They all need diversity training.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35820
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:57 pm

Brazil finally woke up and won 2-0 against Costa Rica and Nigeria beat Iceland 2-0 and were impressive, particularly Moses, Mikel and Musa. Now it's Serbia and Switzerland. On with it....
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35820
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:12 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:53 pm
Nigeria v Iceland.
Not a single black person playing for Iceland!!!
Not a single white person playing for Nigeria!!!
#racistbastards. They all need diversity training.
With a population of 186 million I think Nigeria might have a few more options than Iceland with just a third of One million Spots. :wink:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35820
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:42 pm

And the Yodellers staged a great comeback and beat Serbia 2-1. Interesting....
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19005
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:51 pm

Belting game that.

Shaqiri and Xhaka will get tediously predictable peters for their eagle business.

Mitrovic snatched Kane's crown for "how the feck did he not get a pen for that?!_ Picture the first Kane shout but with two of them.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35820
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:17 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:51 pm
Belting game that.

Shaqiri and Xhaka will get tediously predictable peters for their eagle business.

Mitrovic snatched Kane's crown for "how the feck did he not get a pen for that?!_ Picture the first Kane shout but with two of them.
Aye, the refs for both should hang their heads in shame. So blatant the whole world saw them....except the refs. The age of techn ology eh, bring back Pierluigi Collina to give lessons.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19005
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:57 am

I have sympathy for the refs, there's that much going on the box on set pieces you have to assume they didn't see them. Feck knows what the full kit w*nkers with the TV's are for if not those, though.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12079
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Hoboh » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:09 am

Germans do the usual I see, mind the Swiss Roll ed over in the second 45.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35820
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:24 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:09 am
Germans do the usual I see, mind the Swiss Roll ed over in the second 45.
Germany were playing the Swedes Hoboh? They were always going to win one way or another, it's a German thing (they were actually by miles the better side)

Anyway, the Belgians made Tunisia look like a Sunday pub league team and the worry of that is it makes our injury time win not quite as dazzling as we made it. Today is now a must win if only for pride's sake and to make beating Belgium not critical.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3276
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 5:33 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by malcd1 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:25 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:24 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:09 am
Germans do the usual I see, mind the Swiss Roll ed over in the second 45.
Germany were playing the Swedes Hoboh? They were always going to win one way or another, it's a German thing (they were actually by miles the better side)

Anyway, the Belgians made Tunisia look like a Sunday pub league team and the worry of that is it makes our injury time win not quite as dazzling as we made it. Today is now a must win if only for pride's sake and to make beating Belgium not critical.
The positives are that Tunisia had 16 shots against Belgium (6 against England) and 5 on target (1 on target against us) and had 50% possession (39% against England). Belgium are great going forward but a bit rubbish at the back and will be susceptible to pace.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35820
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:14 pm

Well, we managed to scape through 6-1 against the Hats. In actual fact, before giving us two manic penalties and that Achiles from Harry, it could have been 3-1. Mind you we played blow football second half and a bit of the lacadasicals set in, but we scored three absolutly cracking goals and that great set piece goal in the first. How good was Stones header and Lingard's curling shot? Still not delighted with Ashley Young, and Sterling didn't exactly set the game alight, but we're a young side and it's a decent start. Come on England.... :oyea:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35820
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:39 pm

75 mins gone and Colombia have just stuck number three past Poland. Ref's los the plot on this, it's like a cage fight with no cage. Poland look like lost sheep.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12079
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Hoboh » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:04 pm

Sweden too much pop oh dear, well it would have ruined the joke :D

Not too impressed with our second half tbh thought the three subs would have wanted to push their way into the starting eleven and my pal Stirling did his usual, fair play about three nice tou'ches but bugger all else!
We should have had 9 or 10 in reality.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35820
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:39 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:04 pm
Sweden too much pop oh dear, well it would have ruined the joke :D

Not too impressed with our second half tbh thought the three subs would have wanted to push their way into the starting eleven and my pal Stirling did his usual, fair play about three nice tou'ches but bugger all else!
We should have had 9 or 10 in reality.
I'm thinking that at 5-0 at half time and having done the job of going through, unless we ever looked in any danger, why run yourseves ragged and risk injury? Six goals in the bag in style, and a case of mission accomplished. Panama will have a national holiday for having scored one against England. :wink:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23520
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:24 am

Hoboh wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:04 pm
Sweden too much pop oh dear, well it would have ruined the joke :D

Not too impressed with our second half tbh thought the three subs would have wanted to push their way into the starting eleven and my pal Stirling did his usual, fair play about three nice tou'ches but bugger all else!
We should have had 9 or 10 in reality.
It was 30 degrees. There was absolutely no point at all in pushing on second half. Job was done.

If you want a concern out of a super performance it was the first 10 minutes when they opened us up twice. Better teams will exploit our weak midfield and back 3.

However, job fecking done.

We wait for other results now to see whether we want to finish 1st/2nd.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests