Shaking like a leaf, oh no have I got Parkinson's? Home to Forest 12:30 Sun 6th May 2018

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Shaking like a leaf, oh no have I got Parkinson's? Home to Forest 12:30 Sun 6th May 2018

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 08, 2018 9:31 am

truewhite15 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 8:38 pm
Alfie changed the game. Tremendous performance. He's earned the right to be our top striker next season, and deserves a proper partner to play off. Proving wrong all the people who called him lazy or not good enough. And he seems to really care about the club. Top man.
He's an impact sub. End of story. Great to come off the bench. Lead the line for 90 minutes? Not in a million years.

On an amazing day, Parky, inspite of all the "experts" pre game, got it right. Wilbraham led the line better than ALF can. He grafted and held it up and occupied defenders. We've badly missed that.

Then ALF came on with fresh legs for half an hour of running to support Wilbraham. It was the perfect tactical plan for the players we have available.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Shaking like a leaf, oh no have I got Parkinson's? Home to Forest 12:30 Sun 6th May 2018

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 08, 2018 10:59 am

That game was up there with Reading 95 for me. Right up there. Not sure any other single game in the time I've been watching has been as dramatic as those two. In fact I'd say Sunday pipped 95 for me, simply because in 95 we were a good team at Wembley going for promotion. Coming from 2-0 down was heroic, but in hindsight we had the players to do it.

Yesterday having scored 3 goals in the previous 7 games to be on 86 minutes and losing 2-1 I don't think a single person in the ground thought we could turn it around. Everyone was supportive because we'd put a hell of a shift in, and clearly given it our all. But for a team that struggled to score, to get 2 in the remaining few minutes in that scenario seemed outlandish. Especially as alongside that we needed Burton to not score again against a 10 man Preston.

Those few minutes were also probably more crucial to the future of the club than the Reading game, given in our financially perilous position relegation and the loss of income could have been terminal, if not terminal, certainly unlikely to see us compete in this league again for a while.

As much as we did to our credit, keep knocking on the door, at 85 minutes it looked as likely that Forest would get another goal on the break against clearly tired legs and minds, with spaces left vacant at the back.

It was at this point that an elderlyish man who sits just in front turned to me, shook my hand and said "well that's that but we'll all be here next season". I laughed and said "yeah hopefully the club will still be here too". As background this guy has been going to Bolton games since the late 60's and took his son and his friend for years. His son sadly passed away a few years back whilst we were still a premiership side. I don't know the details. We've always chatted briefly and talked about the Wanderers and such but I don't know his name nor he mine. On 85 minutes we enjoyed a quiet minute of consolation with each other, but knowing that we'd both be there to put ourselves through the torture again. He has told me last season that he only comes nowadays so he can "tell his lad what's going on". Anyway he usually leaves early and as he shook my hand and we shared consolations he was about to get up and get away. But then someone in front of him turns to wish him a good summer etc. He's up and leaving and halfway down the steps, then suddenly Wheater scores. He comes back to stand at the end of his row, clearly hedging his bets. A minute later he's in tears. And so am I.

That folks, is what football is all about. I've never cried about football before either in despair or elation. I did on Sunday and so did an awful lot of fully grown men. Not sure how many will admit it. But there we go.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:32 pm

Great post that BWFCI. The raw emotion once we had done it was incredible. I think our recent near death experiences as a club make days like this even more raw, and therefore more special It was great to share that moment of survival with those who sit near you at every game. A guy in front of me, approx fifty years old, big guy, sits there stoically each game, turned round at the end wiping dust from his eye. I was just embracing everyone around me at the end. It felt we had all climbed a mountain together this season, having had cramp and breathing difficulties from the very start, still trudging on when there was little hope of making the top, then having got a second wind, be almost forced off it by a storm, then suddenly when all seemed lost finding something inside to make a spurt to the top.

It was special.

I must confess that I am still re-watching the highlights over and over again, even now.

irie Cee Bee
Promising
Promising

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue May 08, 2018 2:35 pm

Well, I am half way around the world and watched it on my phone. It was incredible. After Forests 2nd goal, I accepted our fate and my misery for the next month until the World Cup. Then it happened, then the magic moment happened. I still watch that 3rd goal with commentary over and over again. I am still in tears each time I watch it. And I am NOT a crier!! Unbelievable even now.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 pm

I literally thought of this man and his cheering at Cardiff when the final whistle went.
lofty.png
lofty.png (308.35 KiB) Viewed 633 times

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 08, 2018 8:30 pm

Knowing what it was like in our game, in retrospect, how must fans of Burton and Barnsley have felt Sunday watching the scores evolve? To think you're safe with four minutes left and then see not an equaliser, but then a winner go on the airwaves for the one club that can send you down must be pretty awful (oh, aye, we know all about it don't we) . Football fans are fans the world over and Barnsley and Burton on Trent must have been pretty grim places for either. Chin up lads, you'll be back. Best of luck for next season.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Winter Hill White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Winter Hill White » Tue May 08, 2018 9:52 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 4:24 pm
Oli McBurnie, what's the score?

(and furthermore, would you mind coming on loan to us next season, upon which all would be forgiven?)
Oli McBurnie's dad sometimes works out of our office, and I had a quick chat with him the other day. I got the impression that he (Oli - not his dad) would be in no rush to play under Parky. Don't know if the departure from Bratfurt was on bad terms, but think much of the shenanigans McBurnie was involved in at the Barnsley game might have been aimed at winding Parky up.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 08, 2018 10:35 pm

Winter Hill White wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:52 pm
Sun May 06, 2018 4:24 pm
Oli McBurnie, what's the score?

(and furthermore, would you mind coming on loan to us next season, upon which all would be forgiven?)
Oli McBurnie's dad sometimes works out of our office, and I had a quick chat with him the other day. I got the impression that he (Oli - not his dad) would be in no rush to play under Parky. Don't know if the departure from Bratfurt was on bad terms, but think much of the shenanigans McBurnie was involved in at the Barnsley game might have been aimed at winding Parky up.
Ah, cheers. Interesting. Hadn't clocked that they'd worked together before.

At Barnsley, I didn't take his winding-up as being anti-Parky or even anti-Bolton, just doing his best for his (temporary) team. Here's Parky's quotes upon McBurnie's exit. Do they seem to hint at trouble? Seem OK to me. But I'm not the bloke's dad... :D
He is a player with great potential. Ollie burst onto the scene scoring a lot of goals for the youth team and we put him into the first team at the time because of injuries when physically he wasn't ready yet.

It was tough for him during this period because he came virtually straight from Saturday morning youth football into competitive first team action. He naturally found the going tough but he was still able to show flashes of quality. That period did probably knock him back a bit and with him being a local boy, there was also a lot of expectancy on him.

To his credit though, he went away on loan to Chester in the second half of last season and did really well. It certainly isn't easy for a player of his age to impress at conference level and score goals. Even though he is still physically developing, he was excellent for them.

As well as his time with Chester, he has performed to a good standard for Scotland at Under 19 level in recent months. In the company of players playing for teams at higher levels, he has acquitted himself well for his national side.

I am sure that has helped to alert Swansea to Ollie's potential. We certainly wish him all the very best.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 08, 2018 10:47 pm

Tue May 08, 2018 4:24 pm

Watched that with a biiiig smile on my face!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed May 09, 2018 12:10 am

Great result. I'd given up at 2-1. I'd lost belief five weeks out with the Birmingham resurgence and Barnsley and Burton's mid-table fixtures. Doomed we were.

Then a miracle. At 2-1, I was going to bed (1:30am in NZ) and saw the BBC score update to 3-2. Couldn't believe it.
Really couldn't...Had to check a bunch of other results... Still couldn't believe it.

Until BBC updated headline that said Bolton and Burton were going down. Literally watched "Bolton" get BACKSPACED to safety and "Barnsley" typed in like it was a typo the whole time. Cosmic moment. Sliding doors. Alternate universe...

3 minutes of nailbiting time then 5? WTF? minutes of EXTRA time spitting tacks and we'd done it.

Officially. BBC: "The greatest of great escapes!"

So important for the club in the precarious position its in. Confused but over the bloody moon! Hope is born...Brought me back here after years for the transfer market. I've only seen one Bolton game ever at the Macron Forrest 2-2 in 2012. Now in the last two weeks they've done us two huge favours. Ta Forest!
What could've happened; did.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:18 pm

Not sure if this has already been posted, as some of the links above seem to be broken, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rHgxacJ5-4