Trotters away to the Tigers (Fri night 25/08/17)

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 37223
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: Trotters away to the Tigers (Fri night 25/08/17)

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:54 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:14 am

We have no strengths. And I think the players have now realised it. And while dodgy Ken plays poker for personal gain we're going to get relegated by a fcuking mile.
Like all football/sport in general, we aren't in the hands of sportsmen, but greedy businessmen battling for power, status and wealth. It's all a joke and sooner or later the Hunger Games and all the rest of the fantasy ideas from film and book may become reality. The Superwhites Rollerballers Nil...... :|
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2076
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:54 pm

Re: Trotters away to the Tigers (Fri night 25/08/17)

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:14 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:14 am
irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:07 am

What is our strength? It used to be our defense. Now, it appears we have none. We need better players in before next Thursday or its going to be a long heartbreaking season for us.
We have no strengths. And I think the players have now realised it. And while dodgy Ken plays poker for personal gain we're going to get relegated by a fcuking mile.
This 100%....we could well be relegated earlier and with less points than under Lennon....

I said at the time Parkinson completely wasted pre season, instead of getting them mentally tough and ready - we played against mainly lower league & non league teams (apart from 1 game against Stoke) and which the players just strolled through half hearted (so called just getting match fit), he wasted games playing teams full of trialists (of which we signed none) - he should have been working on shape & organisation, different tactics and playing against better teams getting the players used to playing against teams of better quality.

For me he either ditches 5-3-2 / 3-5-2 and plays 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 or he brings the Everton kid in & Little as proper wing backs with pace in the 3-5-2, because currently teams are just exploiting the gaps behind the wing backs and our current 3 CB's are incapable of playing this system as they are supposed to cover the space behind the wing backs but they just don't. Last night looking at all of the 1st half goals Morais was just caught in no man's land neither forward or back because he's not a wing back. This is what really worries me about Parkinson tactically - why he can't see that A Taylor & Morais are not wing backs, yet he still plays them in that position....when we have proper wing backs on the bench or in the squad.

We are missing a proper leader / organiser on the pitch - we are desperate for a Joey Barton type 'hardman' central midfielder who hates losing and is a bit nasty when required. Pratley is shocking both as a player & a captain / leader and as a priority he should be the player (along with C Taylor) that we look to get out on loan next week - the way Pratley plays sums up the team, he just runs around fouling people, he can't create anything, he's slow & cumbersome and is basically a headless chicken.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16923
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Trotters away to the Tigers (Fri night 25/08/17)

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:36 pm

Careful. Nobody should ever wish for a Joey Barton type, no matter how desperate.
:shock:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 37223
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: Trotters away to the Tigers (Fri night 25/08/17)

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:46 pm

One thing that worries me is the way teams talk quite openly about exploiting the spaces behind Bolton's defence. Surely a point to keep in mind when assesing the opposition? If they can see it so clearly, why can't we?
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2076
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:54 pm

Re: Trotters away to the Tigers (Fri night 25/08/17)

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:49 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:36 pm
Careful. Nobody should ever wish for a Joey Barton type, no matter how desperate.
:shock:
Sorry but IMO we do - we need a competitor, a winner - a player in central midfield who can put a foot in, who can organise and lead by example - our midfield is just too weak in all aspects of the game....we get bullied far too easily in games - obviously not Joey Barton himself !!, but a similar type of aggressive central midfielder player (on the field not off).

BWFCI will come on and say we'd never get a decent player of that type for £4.5k a week, and he's probably not wrong - but its a good, hard, ball winning central midfielder that we need more than anything next week - and somehow the owners have to try & find someone of that type within the constraints that we have to work to - isn't that why we have scouts.

Again what worries somewhat about Parkinson, is that allegedly in an interview with the BN last night he says that he's looking to bring in a wide player next week - surely that's the least of our worries, everyone & I mean everyone who watches us knows that its central midfield that is our weakness and is the area that we need to concentrate on if we can bring another player in next week.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2076
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:54 pm

Re: Trotters away to the Tigers (Fri night 25/08/17)

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:51 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:46 pm
One thing that worries me is the way teams talk quite openly about exploiting the spaces behind Bolton's defence. Surely a point to keep in mind when assesing the opposition? If they can see it so clearly, why can't we?
Exactly TD - Derby did it easily, Hull last night also, this is why I have serious reservations about Parkinson tactically.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16923
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Trotters away to the Tigers (Fri night 25/08/17)

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:48 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:49 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:36 pm
Careful. Nobody should ever wish for a Joey Barton type, no matter how desperate.
:shock:
Sorry but IMO we do - we need a competitor, a winner - a player in central midfield who can put a foot in, who can organise and lead by example - our midfield is just too weak in all aspects of the game....we get bullied far too easily in games - obviously not Joey Barton himself !!, but a similar type of aggressive central midfielder player (on the field not off).

BWFCI will come on and say we'd never get a decent player of that type for £4.5k a week, and he's probably not wrong - but its a good, hard, ball winning central midfielder that we need more than anything next week - and somehow the owners have to try & find someone of that type within the constraints that we have to work to - isn't that why we have scouts.

Again what worries somewhat about Parkinson, is that allegedly in an interview with the BN last night he says that he's looking to bring in a wide player next week - surely that's the least of our worries, everyone & I mean everyone who watches us knows that its central midfield that is our weakness and is the area that we need to concentrate on if we can bring another player in next week.
I'm not against your assertion. It might even work. It was the dirty filthy JB swear words themselves that shocked me... :wink:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19315
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Trotters away to the Tigers (Fri night 25/08/17)

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:32 pm

I think we need a wide player more. Current midfielders are being asked to do too much, playing 3v4 sometimes 3v5. Winger allows us to go four at the back. Central midfielder would be nice too mind, what with Vela injured and Pratley breathing.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7856
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Trotters away to the Tigers (Fri night 25/08/17)

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:10 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:14 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:14 am
irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:07 am

What is our strength? It used to be our defense. Now, it appears we have none. We need better players in before next Thursday or its going to be a long heartbreaking season for us.
We have no strengths. And I think the players have now realised it. And while dodgy Ken plays poker for personal gain we're going to get relegated by a fcuking mile.
This 100%....we could well be relegated earlier and with less points than under Lennon....

I said at the time Parkinson completely wasted pre season, instead of getting them mentally tough and ready - we played against mainly lower league & non league teams (apart from 1 game against Stoke) and which the players just strolled through half hearted (so called just getting match fit), he wasted games playing teams full of trialists (of which we signed none) - he should have been working on shape & organisation, different tactics and playing against better teams getting the players used to playing against teams of better quality.

For me he either ditches 5-3-2 / 3-5-2 and plays 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 or he brings the Everton kid in & Little as proper wing backs with pace in the 3-5-2, because currently teams are just exploiting the gaps behind the wing backs and our current 3 CB's are incapable of playing this system as they are supposed to cover the space behind the wing backs but they just don't. Last night looking at all of the 1st half goals Morais was just caught in no man's land neither forward or back because he's not a wing back. This is what really worries me about Parkinson tactically - why he can't see that A Taylor & Morais are not wing backs, yet he still plays them in that position....when we have proper wing backs on the bench or in the squad.

We are missing a proper leader / organiser on the pitch - we are desperate for a Joey Barton type 'hardman' central midfielder who hates losing and is a bit nasty when required. Pratley is shocking both as a player & a captain / leader and as a priority he should be the player (along with C Taylor) that we look to get out on loan next week - the way Pratley plays sums up the team, he just runs around fouling people, he can't create anything, he's slow & cumbersome and is basically a headless chicken.
Agreed with most of this...and also bemused at the wide player target. He has narrowed the pitch ffs. Cullen is too lightweight. Pratley not good enough. Centre fecking mid.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 24585
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Trotters away to the Tigers (Fri night 25/08/17)

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:22 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:32 pm
I think we need a wide player more. Current midfielders are being asked to do too much, playing 3v4 sometimes 3v5. Winger allows us to go four at the back. Central midfielder would be nice too mind, what with Vela injured and Pratley breathing.
No. The idea that going four at the back fixes midfield is just pie in the sky. I mean the defenders look lost so absolutely go 4.

But we've no central midfield. We will not do anything till we fix that. I'm surprised that Parky hasn't recruited some physical monsters in midfield. I'm confused how Cullen fits in. He looks tidy but he's not a Mark Davies type and not nearly physical enough to do what Spearing did.

Karacan is good enough up and down. I like his energy. He's the only one who I think is good enough for this level. Pratley might do a limited job on the left hand side in absence of a left winger. But we need someone in front of the back four and someone who can do the box to box job. Minimum we need two. Otherwise teams will keep outclassing us and outmuscling us in there. As we've seen in past seasons that is the quickest way to go down. Midfield is critical. It is where games are won and lost. I think we've seen that even with our limited forwards we can score goals. But we can't control games. And at this level teams are too good to never be in control. If the opposition gets on top for 15 minutes, chances are you concede at least one during that time.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19315
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Trotters away to the Tigers (Fri night 25/08/17)

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:59 pm

You've clearly never played in a midfield getting overrun. The best players in the world look like they've never played before. No out and no help.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Sweet
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: Trotters away to the Tigers (Fri night 25/08/17)

Post by Sweet » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:32 pm

Table looks great tonight.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 37223
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: Trotters away to the Tigers (Fri night 25/08/17)

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:24 pm

Just re-watched the Hull lowlights. Very apparent that the difference between them and us was desire, speed and urgency. They had all three, we approached their box like it was a scene from Guns of Navarone with enemy troops behind every blade of grass. We played like a defence set up side (and they stil scored four) and hardly troubled them at all. Shortest distance between two points has always been a straight line and it points forward in football not sideways or back. Folk moaned about England's win over Malta. We won 4-0 regardless of how. Italy, supposedly a top European side, bored the shxt out of everybody for 75 mins and only came to life when they were three goals down; pass,pass,pass sideways, back etc etc. Spain passed and attacked constantly. In this league Festina Lente is just so much Chinese...
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest