The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
11
41%
Conservatives
10
37%
Liberal Democrats
2
7%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
0
No votes
Green Party
2
7%
Plaid Cymru
0
No votes
Other
1
4%
Planet Hobo
1
4%
 
Total votes: 27

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12060
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Hoboh » Wed May 16, 2018 11:00 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:13 am

You can park for free on a Saturday. Have been able to for a while.
Saturdays are no longer the trading day they once were due to life changes, more so through the summer, the free parking covers 3 car parks and is due to end Sept 2018
And when did we have any council operated car parks? You're going back a while for that.
The council were fully aware of the pricing structure of NCP when they signed the agreement, if not it was another example of negligence. Labour PFI in action?
I don't doubt our council are useless. Most are. I don't think they are useless because they are Labour run (Bury have a Labour run council for example), they're useless because they don't have the right experience in managerial roles in the town hall. Why? Because successive governments haven't placed emphasis on local service delivery and therefore have in effect cut the role and scope of councils and their budgets. This has happened from Thatcher onwards. It has been worst since 2010 however.

However retail in town centres is dying generally. It isn't a Bolton phenomenon. We have one good thing a year and that is the food festival that brings huge footfall through the town. Apart from that why would anyone go in?
Retail in town centres isn't dying it's more the product range change that takes time, the young for example will buy clothes on line most older ones want to see/feel/try the product before buying and are not led by a bunch of fashion luvvies and why on earth would you want to cart large screen TV's, fridges, freezers etc in your car? Those thinking Amazon will storm the food market are not living in reality some of the large players have started to reduce or freeze the home delivery side, again folk like to see what they purchase not a glossy photo shopped picture.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23405
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 16, 2018 11:03 am

Hoboh wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:00 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:13 am

You can park for free on a Saturday. Have been able to for a while.
Saturdays are no longer the trading day they once were due to life changes, more so through the summer, the free parking covers 3 car parks and is due to end Sept 2018
And when did we have any council operated car parks? You're going back a while for that.
The council were fully aware of the pricing structure of NCP when they signed the agreement, if not it was another example of negligence. Labour PFI in action?
I don't doubt our council are useless. Most are. I don't think they are useless because they are Labour run (Bury have a Labour run council for example), they're useless because they don't have the right experience in managerial roles in the town hall. Why? Because successive governments haven't placed emphasis on local service delivery and therefore have in effect cut the role and scope of councils and their budgets. This has happened from Thatcher onwards. It has been worst since 2010 however.

However retail in town centres is dying generally. It isn't a Bolton phenomenon. We have one good thing a year and that is the food festival that brings huge footfall through the town. Apart from that why would anyone go in?
Retail in town centres isn't dying it's more the product range change that takes time, the young for example will buy clothes on line most older ones want to see/feel/try the product before buying and are not led by a bunch of fashion luvvies and why on earth would you want to cart large screen TV's, fridges, freezers etc in your car? Those thinking Amazon will storm the food market are not living in reality some of the large players have started to reduce or freeze the home delivery side, again folk like to see what they purchase not a glossy photo shopped picture.
Retail in town centres isn't dying? I'm sorry but that is absolutely wrong. Absolutely loads of evidence suggests otherwise.

It isn't just online. It is out of town shopping, things like the Trafford centre and of course ever increasing ranges in supermarkets.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12060
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Hoboh » Wed May 16, 2018 11:22 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:03 am
Hoboh wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:00 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:13 am

You can park for free on a Saturday. Have been able to for a while.
Saturdays are no longer the trading day they once were due to life changes, more so through the summer, the free parking covers 3 car parks and is due to end Sept 2018
And when did we have any council operated car parks? You're going back a while for that.
The council were fully aware of the pricing structure of NCP when they signed the agreement, if not it was another example of negligence. Labour PFI in action?
I don't doubt our council are useless. Most are. I don't think they are useless because they are Labour run (Bury have a Labour run council for example), they're useless because they don't have the right experience in managerial roles in the town hall. Why? Because successive governments haven't placed emphasis on local service delivery and therefore have in effect cut the role and scope of councils and their budgets. This has happened from Thatcher onwards. It has been worst since 2010 however.

However retail in town centres is dying generally. It isn't a Bolton phenomenon. We have one good thing a year and that is the food festival that brings huge footfall through the town. Apart from that why would anyone go in?
Retail in town centres isn't dying it's more the product range change that takes time, the young for example will buy clothes on line most older ones want to see/feel/try the product before buying and are not led by a bunch of fashion luvvies and why on earth would you want to cart large screen TV's, fridges, freezers etc in your car? Those thinking Amazon will storm the food market are not living in reality some of the large players have started to reduce or freeze the home delivery side, again folk like to see what they purchase not a glossy photo shopped picture.
Retail in town centres isn't dying? I'm sorry but that is absolutely wrong. Absolutely loads of evidence suggests otherwise.

It isn't just online. It is out of town shopping, things like the Trafford centre and of course ever increasing ranges in supermarkets.
The problem is access you elude to that in your own post! Town centres spent years keeping traffic out which was plain daft, centres that are holding their own (Bury) were not so short sighted, business rates didn't help either.
Retail isn't dying at all, the problem is the size of the range of products on offer spreads a not infinite amount of cash to thinly, the best will do ok and pound shop Bolton ain't that by any stretch.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35671
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 16, 2018 1:31 pm

I can't see any of it getting better till we have a government that actually governs. In that, we're no different than most of England outside of Harry and Megan-ville. The "Seat of Government" probably aptly describe what most politicians do best.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 6210
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed May 16, 2018 1:38 pm

Bury had the advantage of being a small town with a thriving market. In effect all they've done is built a retail park on the edge of the town centre. All the shops at the other side of town, Bolton Street, the parade near the interchange are struggling like any other town centre.

I went in Bolton on Monday for the 2nd time in the last 12 months. I've never been to the Trafford centre. There's just no need to
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12060
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Hoboh » Thu May 17, 2018 7:26 am

I'd fall about laughing but the Marxist party's latest idea spouted by that brain of Britain, Diane (I once was the leaders bit of rough) Abbott is far from funny.
Basically they are waving the white flag over illegal immigration and offering legal aid to them to stop any deportation, planning to change all the rules as well.
This country is going rapidly down hill brought on by the actions of folk like this and it's getting too late to change.
Never thought I'd say it but we need a Putin type to sort out all this PC crap, sack some Judge's, lock up lawyers and exterminate criminals.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23405
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 17, 2018 8:40 am

Hoboh wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:26 am
I'd fall about laughing but the Marxist party's latest idea spouted by that brain of Britain, Diane (I once was the leaders bit of rough) Abbott is far from funny.
Basically they are waving the white flag over illegal immigration and offering legal aid to them to stop any deportation, planning to change all the rules as well.
This country is going rapidly down hill brought on by the actions of folk like this and it's getting too late to change.
Never thought I'd say it but we need a Putin type to sort out all this PC crap, sack some Judge's, lock up lawyers and exterminate criminals.
Everything she has outlined is eminently sensible unless you are some frothing at the mouth, slack-jawed extreme nut job.

Ending indefinite detention is without a shadow of a doubt the right thing to do.

Having spent an extensive amount of time a couple of years back dealing with the appalling conditions people were kept in, in detention centres and the absolutely disgusting way they were treated closing them isn't just a good step it is absolutely imperative.

Why don't you just do the rest of society a favour and move to Russia or Saudi Arabia? They don't care much for human rights in either country and as you don't, you'll enjoy it.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 853
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:16 am

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by bedwetter2 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:43 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:40 am
Hoboh wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:26 am
I'd fall about laughing but the Marxist party's latest idea spouted by that brain of Britain, Diane (I once was the leaders bit of rough) Abbott is far from funny.
Basically they are waving the white flag over illegal immigration and offering legal aid to them to stop any deportation, planning to change all the rules as well.
This country is going rapidly down hill brought on by the actions of folk like this and it's getting too late to change.
Never thought I'd say it but we need a Putin type to sort out all this PC crap, sack some Judge's, lock up lawyers and exterminate criminals.
Everything she has outlined is eminently sensible unless you are some frothing at the mouth, slack-jawed extreme nut job.

Ending indefinite detention is without a shadow of a doubt the right thing to do.

Having spent an extensive amount of time a couple of years back dealing with the appalling conditions people were kept in, in detention centres and the absolutely disgusting way they were treated closing them isn't just a good step it is absolutely imperative.

Why don't you just do the rest of society a favour and move to Russia or Saudi Arabia? They don't care much for human rights in either country and as you don't, you'll enjoy it.

Who gave permission for illegal immigrants to come here? No one. They have illegally entered the country and Corbyn's fat slug, by making such statements, is actually encouraging more to try their luck.

It's a good thing that Britain has an elastic coastline, isn't it? Otherwise we may get a bit more pushed for space than we already are.
Of course the nature of Britain has changed very significantly even during the last twenty years. One thing is certain, the insatiable appetite of socialists to spend other people's money is unchanged.

When you go shopping in your local souk just ponder on the logical end to your views. You should p*ss off to Venezuela. Maduro has found a unique way to reduce their excessive population by encouraging the less gullible to leave for pastures new. It's called emigrating.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23405
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 17, 2018 9:51 am

bedwetter2 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:43 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:40 am
Hoboh wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:26 am
I'd fall about laughing but the Marxist party's latest idea spouted by that brain of Britain, Diane (I once was the leaders bit of rough) Abbott is far from funny.
Basically they are waving the white flag over illegal immigration and offering legal aid to them to stop any deportation, planning to change all the rules as well.
This country is going rapidly down hill brought on by the actions of folk like this and it's getting too late to change.
Never thought I'd say it but we need a Putin type to sort out all this PC crap, sack some Judge's, lock up lawyers and exterminate criminals.
Everything she has outlined is eminently sensible unless you are some frothing at the mouth, slack-jawed extreme nut job.

Ending indefinite detention is without a shadow of a doubt the right thing to do.

Having spent an extensive amount of time a couple of years back dealing with the appalling conditions people were kept in, in detention centres and the absolutely disgusting way they were treated closing them isn't just a good step it is absolutely imperative.

Why don't you just do the rest of society a favour and move to Russia or Saudi Arabia? They don't care much for human rights in either country and as you don't, you'll enjoy it.

Who gave permission for illegal immigrants to come here? No one. They have illegally entered the country and Corbyn's fat slug, by making such statements, is actually encouraging more to try their luck.

It's a good thing that Britain has an elastic coastline, isn't it? Otherwise we may get a bit more pushed for space than we already are.
Of course the nature of Britain has changed very significantly even during the last twenty years. One thing is certain, the insatiable appetite of socialists to spend other people's money is unchanged.

When you go shopping in your local souk just ponder on the logical end to your views. You should p*ss off to Venezuela. Maduro has found a unique way to reduce their excessive population by encouraging the less gullible to leave for pastures new. It's called emigrating.
Oh piss off. The logical end to indefinite detention and treating human beings like vermin is holocaust and Nazi Germany. The appetite of people like you for that very scenario is astounding.

There is a gulf of difference between just letting anyone in and granting indefinite stay and not splitting up families and detaining people indefinitely in inhumane and appalling conditions and treating the exercise as a targets driven numbers game.

I suggest, before you spout more absolute nonsense you go and speak to the families who were arbitrarily split up for years because one parent wasn't allowed entry, or young women who've been detained in places like yarl's wood. If you had any empathy for fellow human beings you would entirely change your tune. This isn't about allowing unfettered immigration. Its about acting with decency towards other human beings. There literally is no excuses.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 853
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:16 am

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by bedwetter2 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:04 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:51 am
bedwetter2 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:43 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:40 am
Hoboh wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:26 am
I'd fall about laughing but the Marxist party's latest idea spouted by that brain of Britain, Diane (I once was the leaders bit of rough) Abbott is far from funny.
Basically they are waving the white flag over illegal immigration and offering legal aid to them to stop any deportation, planning to change all the rules as well.
This country is going rapidly down hill brought on by the actions of folk like this and it's getting too late to change.
Never thought I'd say it but we need a Putin type to sort out all this PC crap, sack some Judge's, lock up lawyers and exterminate criminals.
Everything she has outlined is eminently sensible unless you are some frothing at the mouth, slack-jawed extreme nut job.

Ending indefinite detention is without a shadow of a doubt the right thing to do.

Having spent an extensive amount of time a couple of years back dealing with the appalling conditions people were kept in, in detention centres and the absolutely disgusting way they were treated closing them isn't just a good step it is absolutely imperative.

Why don't you just do the rest of society a favour and move to Russia or Saudi Arabia? They don't care much for human rights in either country and as you don't, you'll enjoy it.

Who gave permission for illegal immigrants to come here? No one. They have illegally entered the country and Corbyn's fat slug, by making such statements, is actually encouraging more to try their luck.

It's a good thing that Britain has an elastic coastline, isn't it? Otherwise we may get a bit more pushed for space than we already are.
Of course the nature of Britain has changed very significantly even during the last twenty years. One thing is certain, the insatiable appetite of socialists to spend other people's money is unchanged.

When you go shopping in your local souk just ponder on the logical end to your views. You should p*ss off to Venezuela. Maduro has found a unique way to reduce their excessive population by encouraging the less gullible to leave for pastures new. It's called emigrating.
Oh piss off. The logical end to indefinite detention and treating human beings like vermin is holocaust and Nazi Germany. The appetite of people like you for that very scenario is astounding.

There is a gulf of difference between just letting anyone in and granting indefinite stay and not splitting up families and detaining people indefinitely in inhumane and appalling conditions and treating the exercise as a targets driven numbers game.

I suggest, before you spout more absolute nonsense you go and speak to the families who were arbitrarily split up for years because one parent wasn't allowed entry, or young women who've been detained in places like yarl's wood. If you had any empathy for fellow human beings you would entirely change your tune. This isn't about allowing unfettered immigration. Its about acting with decency towards other human beings. There literally is no excuses.

Did I state that illegal immigrants should be mistreated or abused? Don't think so.
Most of this issue arises from the length of time the process takes. At any port of entry the people unable or unwilling to show documents permitting entry should be turned around immediately. That implies that our overseas embassies or consulates must be far more efficient in getting the message across and and issuing valid documents for those with a right to be here.

You mentioned the Nazis and therefore lost the argument at that point. D*ckh*ad.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18947
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Prufrock » Thu May 17, 2018 10:32 am

Hoboh wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:26 am
I'd fall about laughing but the Marxist party's latest idea spouted by that brain of Britain, Diane (I once was the leaders bit of rough) Abbott is far from funny.
Basically they are waving the white flag over illegal immigration and offering legal aid to them to stop any deportation, planning to change all the rules as well.
This country is going rapidly down hill brought on by the actions of folk like this and it's getting too late to change.
Never thought I'd say it but we need a Putin type to sort out all this PC crap, sack some Judge's, lock up lawyers and exterminate criminals.
Never thought I'd say this but I like football and think Bolton are the team for me.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 6210
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu May 17, 2018 11:28 am

I love the idea of someone in the Central African Republic knowing what Diane Abbot has said and thinking "right we're off there. Cmon love pack the bags. They're making it easier for the likes of us"
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35671
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu May 17, 2018 1:53 pm

You can't put a quart of ale in a pint pot; it's physically impossible, but it doesn't stop people from trying.

Everything in every country is ruled by money and always will be. Sooner or later and despite my deepest beliefs in Charity, Christianity and humanitariasm, somebody will have to decide on a solution that's acceptable; inevitable if you like. ( The ideal one would be for all the countries of origin to sort themselves out and look after their own, but hey, that won't ever happen) . Quoting Scotland, Wales and the Lake District having loads of space isn't quite a solution unless anybody living there is supposed to build a mud hut, light a wood fire and kill rabbits and fish for food, ( that bit's a joke) but the same question would still apply; what's the solution and who pays for it all? Are we as a country not already paying billions to foreign aid ?

Will the supermarket moguls step up and donate chunks of their massive profits to the cause? Will Roman Abramovich and his merry band of millionaire footballers? Will Sam help out? Simple answer is no and even that would be a temporary and not a pemanent solution. The numbers already don't add up in grand style. All a bit like the War of the World's song adapted: "The chances of anyone coming from their African/Asian Ma's is a million to one, he said......but still they come.

I have no ides of any sort what the solution is. Make Insaney P.M perhaps? :wink:

Here's a situation closer to home where we can't afford to mend potholes in the road:

https://www.nomisweb.co.uk/reports/lmp/ ... table.aspx
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23405
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 17, 2018 2:42 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 1:53 pm
You can't put a quart of ale in a pint pot; it's physically impossible, but it doesn't stop people from trying.

Everything in every country is ruled by money and always will be. Sooner or later and despite my deepest beliefs in Charity, Christianity and humanitariasm, somebody will have to decide on a solution that's acceptable; inevitable if you like. ( The ideal one would be for all the countries of origin to sort themselves out and look after their own, but hey, that won't ever happen) . Quoting Scotland, Wales and the Lake District having loads of space isn't quite a solution unless anybody living there is supposed to build a mud hut, light a wood fire and kill rabbits and fish for food, ( that bit's a joke) but the same question would still apply; what's the solution and who pays for it all? Are we as a country not already paying billions to foreign aid ?

Will the supermarket moguls step up and donate chunks of their massive profits to the cause? Will Roman Abramovich and his merry band of millionaire footballers? Will Sam help out? Simple answer is no and even that would be a temporary and not a pemanent solution. The numbers already don't add up in grand style. All a bit like the War of the World's song adapted: "The chances of anyone coming from their African/Asian Ma's is a million to one, he said......but still they come.

I have no ides of any sort what the solution is. Make Insaney P.M perhaps? :wink:

Here's a situation closer to home where we can't afford to mend potholes in the road:

https://www.nomisweb.co.uk/reports/lmp/ ... table.aspx
I'll tell you where the solution lies. International cooperation on a large scale.

If only there was some sort of club we could be a member of where these issues could be handled cooperatively and shared across member states...hmmmm....

In all seriousness though yes, we cannot afford to keep net migration in the hundreds of thousands. Of course we can't. But there are 3 major factors.
1) Unskilled migrant labourers - easiest tap to shut off post EU, BUT economically the impact is huge.
2) Skilled migrant workers - our health service for example cannot survive without them.
3) Asylum seekers - we need to take our share and work in harmony with the international community to ensure people fleeing persecution, war and terror are dealt with as human beings rather than targets and numbers.

The daily mail etc rhetoric isn't helpful on any of these issues. Making Britain a "hostile place" is and never will be the British answer, and its a massive stain that we've allowed right wing politics to dominate for so long that it has come to this.

In short we need an immigration system that balances economic need, social pressures and our duty to the rest of the world. But it cannot be designed in isolation and we should be tackling this on a far wider platform. The problem after all, is a shared worldwide one.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23405
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Just caught up on the gammon debate.

So let me get this straight. The angry middle-aged men who bang on about PC gone mad and having their ability to speak their minds squashed are complaining about being referred to as "gammons" because they think its racist? What a bunch of snowf.....oh....

You couldn't make this up.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35671
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu May 17, 2018 6:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:22 pm
Just caught up on the gammon debate. So let me get this straight. The angry middle-aged men who bang on about PC gone mad and having their ability to speak their minds squashed are complaining about being referred to as "gammons" because they think its racist? What a bunch of snowf.....oh....You couldn't make this up.
Well, er if you really have to call them names at all, why not say angry middle-aged men ( why even stipulate middle-aged unless you or your family won't ever be that) who bang on about PC gone mad and having their ability to speak their minds squashed? That's what you claim they are (if name calling is your thing, that is) isn't it? Best to not get involved at all in things dafter than daft I'd say.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 6210
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu May 17, 2018 8:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:22 pm
Just caught up on the gammon debate.

So let me get this straight. The angry middle-aged men who bang on about PC gone mad and having their ability to speak their minds squashed are complaining about being referred to as "gammons" because they think its racist? What a bunch of snowf.....oh....

You couldn't make this up.
I'm not angry but I am middle aged and I did vote for brexit. Perhaps that makes me a gammon. Like I give a *hit!

Turning the argument around. It's not acceptable to use pejorative terms around people's skin colour so why is gammon OK?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35671
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 18, 2018 12:11 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 2:42 pm


I'll tell you where the solution lies. International cooperation on a large scale. If only there was some sort of club we could be a member of where these issues could be handled cooperatively and shared across member states...hmmmm....
In all seriousness though yes, we cannot afford to keep net migration in the hundreds of thousands. Of course we can't. But there are 3 major factors.
1) Unskilled migrant labourers - easiest tap to shut off post EU, BUT economically the impact is huge.
2) Skilled migrant workers - our health service for example cannot survive without them.
3) Asylum seekers - we need to take our share and work in harmony with the international community to ensure people fleeing persecution, war and terror are dealt with as human beings rather than targets and numbers.
Aye, all very Sunday come to meeting and so easy to say on here. International cooperation, oh yes, definitely. Let's have a sort-the-world-out day and invite everybody over. Trouble is, we haven't been at war or caused any of the problems that makes the UK an Eldorado to all points of the compass, (excluding the Falklands and Gibralta scuffles, for a while now) Meanwhile, despite us being in constant turmoil with immigration, legal or otherwise, still they come. Now if you can put your Johnny Appleseed outfit away and face reality, the chances of said, International cooperation are as likely as Bolton winning the European Cup, ie,pipe dreams. Who (which country) cares about the U.K's problems? Destination U.K still seems the one-way ticket favourite for any country from the East. (That isn't racist by the way, bacause once you pass Ireland to the west, you have about 3,000 miles of ocean to Canada and America's eastern seaboard, with only Bermuda (600 miles from anywhere) as a coffee break, whereas northwards, eastwards, south and and south eastwards we have a lot of neighbours and "friends" many of them wanting to come and say hello. None of all this is even hinting at any sort of solution, because until the neighbours sort their problems out, all the fine words and good intentions in the world don't mean shxt. Some unfriendly folk in the south east are still calling us Crusaders, something we havent been for about 900 years . Next?
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12060
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Hoboh » Fri May 18, 2018 6:32 am

I believe there is an ostrich in Bolton goes by the moniker Bwfci, this daft bird when it's head is not in the sand thinks all criminals are just misunderstood humans who lack love and compassion, anyone has the right to wander into any country and expect cash and support from those natives who have paid hand over fist taxes to pay for certain rights and services.
In this cuckoo's head people have no right to work hard accumulate wealth to support then pass on to their families and most certainly should not be allowed to vote on anything because that would erode the powers of the other ostriches.
Money wealth and property should only be available as a means for the lords of the universe to maintain their power base and engineer society to their way and for their gain and satisfaction.
This ostrich is easy to spot it wears a red tie with a picture of a gnarled old man stuck to it's back.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35671
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 18, 2018 8:33 am

Theoretically, and if we lived in an ideal world, I agree with what Insaney says. Unfortunately....we don't. Any solutions must be feasible and not ideaological ones. Proceed....
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests