The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
11
41%
Conservatives
10
37%
Liberal Democrats
2
7%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
0
No votes
Green Party
2
7%
Plaid Cymru
0
No votes
Other
1
4%
Planet Hobo
1
4%
 
Total votes: 27

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23520
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:14 am

Beefheart wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:12 am
Winning the World Cup would give May the perfect opportunity to just quietly cancel Brexit. Nobody would notice, or care.
She's already done that in effect!

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 14999
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:03 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:56 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:43 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:26 am
Insano...^^

To remind. This was the post from Spots, word for word in full, without the benefit of any opinions, commenting on the topic of an M.P objecting to a vote/law being rushed through in a manner not as laid down by the government itself: That is a fact, not an opinion:
Quote:
"Yet more political hysterical nonsense from the metoo generation. This time upskirting fails to become law[/b] and fragile tosspots begin screaming about politicians "playing with people's lives". !!!"

He then added his view, quote:

"It's a photo up your skirt love. Unless your pudenda is instantly recognised by your community, it could be anybody's slot. Get a fxcking life. unquote

We obviously read it differently no matter how many times you screech "No, no, no!" . I am not defending the poster, just giving my view on his point, which wasn't, as you so blandly suggest, trivialising taking indecent photographs, stating his true attitude to women (a married man with a wife) or with the intent of inciting others. That's just your personal take and still missing the main point of it all which was political and governmental mis-practise. .
Ok, take the last line. What do you think that means? It isn't a personal take. Either you think that is appropriate or you think it isn't.

It isn't even an interpretation. That last line he's written directly says "its a photo up your skirt, its nothing". That is literally what he says. It literally states that is "no big deal" because the photo is "not identifiable".

That is what he's written. Do you think that is acceptable? Do you think telling victims of such practices to "get a life" is acceptable?

That is what he's written. There isn't an alternative interpretation for that sentence.
I bow to your superior opinion. I have nothing to prove here, and I didn't write the post. See is as you will.
Its not an opinion. I'm only quoting what he wrote. I'm asking you, whether you think that line in your opinion is appropriate or not? It only requires a yes or no answer - with some reasoning if you wish.
Wow!
Ok four things.
1. Tango and Monty, thank you for having an open mind and for reading a post without instantly categorising it but instead analysing it.
2. Dr Hotdog. Fxck you too. xxx.
3. As there is no football at the moment (and yes, I'm classifying the World Cup in that category), it's taken me a while to notice the above exchange.
and 4. [Deep breath] I used the language I did in the last section just to piss you Mr BWFC-i off, because you are a self-centred, opinionated, clique-minded wanker who dismisses every other opinion apart from your own as wrong-minded, moronic, evil nonsense.
Anybody with any analytical ability whatsoever (which excludes you [BWFC-i] and Dr Hotdog) would see that the critical critique behind the post was the reaction behind the result being PLAYING WITH PEOPLE'S LIVES. Is it fxck, you moronic metoo tossers.
4a. Do I personally go out taking photographs up women's skirts - No.
Do I know anybody who does - No.
Would it upset me if a photograph of my wife's vulva was posted on Snapchat ( for instance) - Yes.
But, I ask: How do I know it's my wife's vulva? - Probably I won't.
Am I in favour of a law that prohibits up-skirting - Yes.
But, if it ain't passed, IS IT DESTROYING PEOPLE'S LIVES - NO IT FXXXING IS NOT.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12079
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:01 am

WALLACE: You say nothing happened to you, but I need to ask you, domestically - not internationally, domestically, inside Russia - why is it that so many of the people that oppose Vladimir Putin end up dead or close to it?

Former Russian spy and double-agent Sergei Skripal, the victim of a nerve agent attack in England. Boris Nemtsov, a political opponent, gunned down near the Kremlin. Investigative reporter Anna Politkovskaya, murdered in an apartment building. Why is it that so many people who were political enemies of Vladimir Putin are attacked?

PUTIN: Well, first of all, all of us have plenty of political rivals. I'm pretty sure President Trump has plenty of political rivals.

WALLACE: But they don't end up dead.

PUTIN: Well, not always - well, haven't Presidents been killed in the United States?
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 14999
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:19 pm

Whether or not that Salih Khater was motivated by Islamic State or not, it is unacceptable that somebody who spent two years working in Libya before landing here and claiming asylum, was granted British citizenship and then his first fxcking act was to apply for a visa to go back to the fxcking country he had 'supposedly fled [Sudan]'.
Any fxcker claiming asylum from a specific country should be banned from going back to that specific country.

They're taking the fxcking piss!
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 14999
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:12 pm

Now that I've turned up to the wrong venue I've settled in for a coffee and Full English at one of my favourite cafes in the universe. Sat reading the 'paper I note on page 21 that the murder rate in London is set to be double (200%, 170v85, twice as many deaths) than in the ever so distant past of 2014. Indeed the murder rate has been elevated well above and beyond, every single year (i.e. 2015, 2016, 2017 and this year) since 2014.
I seem to recall somebody on here, with a name starting with P and ending with ock, claiming that things were better than Ever Before In The Entire History Of Crime.
I don't think so.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12079
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Hoboh » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:34 pm

Interestingly now a no deal break with the EU is very much on the cards, Mr gobby and his henchmen from the federalist wing are clearly receiving instructions from their German masters to cut a "unique deal'. It would appear the arrogant tiny French president is now talking about restructured relations within the EU.
Just shows you should never listen to the panic fannies bent over, trousers round ankles and vasline to hand, need their Nanny type remainers.

Enoch
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2977
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Enoch » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:01 pm

Inclined to concur.

Mind you, I'd want the Feds bent over taking a length before I'd sign anything.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 14999
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:29 pm

I'm sick to death of hearing this bullshit trope that the EU has secured peace in Europe.
The EU has been in existence for just twenty six years.
The Soviet Union was in existence for seventy three years.
Neither achieved peace in Europe.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12079
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Hoboh » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:52 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:29 pm
I'm sick to death of hearing this bullshit trope that the EU has secured peace in Europe.
The EU has been in existence for just twenty six years.
The Soviet Union was in existence for seventy three years.
Neither achieved peace in Europe.
You see Spots, it was the EU, by their account, that brought peace in the former Yugoslavia and that's what they keep banging on about, now't to do with the US and NATO like it was the EU what did it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23520
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:13 pm

Nice to see the Republicans lose control of the house. Lets see Trump's tax affairs now.....

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12079
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Hoboh » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:13 pm
Nice to see the Republicans lose control of the house. Lets see Trump's tax affairs now.....
Nice to see all those who said Trump would get a right drubbing with egg on their faces again.

Mid term, mass unrest, worst President ever or supposedly so according to lefty dipshits, democrats going to annihilate him, mmm something didn't quite go according to the liberal luvvies handbook did it?

Actually on reflection I wouldn't mind another EU referendum to shut the F*** up the remoaning idiots because no one I know who went out first time has changed their mind and the way the EU has been negotiating has peed off some of those who were in the remain camp :D

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 14999
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:44 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:36 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:13 pm
Nice to see the Republicans lose control of the house. Lets see Trump's tax affairs now.....
Nice to see all those who said Trump would get a right drubbing with egg on their faces again.

Mid term, mass unrest, worst President ever or supposedly so according to lefty dipshits, democrats going to annihilate him, mmm something didn't quite go according to the liberal luvvies handbook did it?

Actually on reflection I wouldn't mind another EU referendum to shut the F*** up the remoaning idiots because no one I know who went out first time has changed their mind and the way the EU has been negotiating has peed off some of those who were in the remain camp :D
About the only time I've written to my MP was over the recent Tory retrenchment towards a pseudo-exit. My MP, Patrick McLoughin, made it quite clear he doesn't believe that Brecit means Brexit and will be fighting to his last breath to reverse the decision.
So fxck them. Yes I'm up for another referendum: Stay with the EU v No Deal Brexit March 19th, end of. Trouble is it'd take the tosspots more than a year to organise said second referendum, during which time we'll be sold down the fxcking river with a bullshit deal on the backstop to the backstop and us shell in out extra billions on top of the 40 billion we shouldn't even be paying.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12532
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 12:45 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:04 am

Hoboh wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:36 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:13 pm
Nice to see the Republicans lose control of the house. Lets see Trump's tax affairs now.....
Nice to see all those who said Trump would get a right drubbing with egg on their faces again.

Mid term, mass unrest, worst President ever or supposedly so according to lefty dipshits, democrats going to annihilate him, mmm something didn't quite go according to the liberal luvvies handbook did it?

Actually on reflection I wouldn't mind another EU referendum to shut the F*** up the remoaning idiots because no one I know who went out first time has changed their mind and the way the EU has been negotiating has peed off some of those who were in the remain camp :D
Actually he did get a drubbing, Hobes. It's a complicated system but only one third of senators are up for election, while all member of the House are voted for. It so happened this year the majority of senators running for re-election were Democrats, many running in what we now call "red" states or "Trump" states since 2016. So the Senate election was limited and did not see any major shift of voting patterns compared with the 2016 election (don't forget all these Senators were elected in 2012 under Obama). Basically Republicans held on to the ground they held in 2016, which meant more Senate seats. The House election on the other hand was nation-wide and showed a major change in voting patterns over 2016 - a major reaction against Trump. This may be why Trump fired his Attorney-General today. It is now the major topic of conversation, so Trump has deflected attention from his mid-term House defeats. Clever man in some ways.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.
:pray:Image

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23520
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:22 am

Hoboh wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:36 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:13 pm
Nice to see the Republicans lose control of the house. Lets see Trump's tax affairs now.....
Nice to see all those who said Trump would get a right drubbing with egg on their faces again.

Mid term, mass unrest, worst President ever or supposedly so according to lefty dipshits, democrats going to annihilate him, mmm something didn't quite go according to the liberal luvvies handbook did it?

Actually on reflection I wouldn't mind another EU referendum to shut the F*** up the remoaning idiots because no one I know who went out first time has changed their mind and the way the EU has been negotiating has peed off some of those who were in the remain camp :D
Republicans took a bit of a hammering in the key rustbelt states. The ones Trump would need to win next time. It wasn't a good night for him inspite of his nonsensical ramblings - which show he was clearly a bit upset by it all.

It could have been worse but the senate was always a red herring as Monty has explained.

I certainly wouldn't rule out a second Trump term as disastrous as that would be. He appeals to the 6-toed racists of rural America enough that no matter how many lies he tells they'll still vote for him in droves. It has to be droves otherwise they get lost without their shared braincell.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 6241
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:30 am

Hoboh wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:36 pm

Actually on reflection I wouldn't mind another EU referendum to shut the F*** up the remoaning idiots because no one I know who went out first time has changed their mind and the way the EU has been negotiating has peed off some of those who were in the remain camp :D
I know you don't know me but I think I'd be inclined to change my vote from out to in, in a 2nd referendum.

I'm unhappy at the way the EU have negotiated and the recent situation re the budget in Italy has confirmed some of my original misgivings about the EU however;

I don't trust any of the current lot to negotiate a good exit. I had no idea how difficult it would be to extract ourselves from some of the legislative processes and personally, I'd never considered the question of the Irish border.

Let's face it, the whole thing has been a cluster feck and there's something very British about us apologising, saying we've made a mistake and asking if we can stay after all
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

dave the minion
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by dave the minion » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:43 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:30 am

I don't trust any of the current lot to negotiate a good exit. I had no idea how difficult it would be to extract ourselves from some of the legislative processes and personally, I'd never considered the question of the Irish border.
Hence why we're in the mess we're in now.

I mean - nothing personal - but the reason we are leaving the EU is exactly because of a substantial population of people in a similar position to you voting to leave without giving thought to exactly the problems we are seeing.

This is why the referendum was flawed from the off. Many people jumped on the bandwagon about immigration, laws, NHS funding etc etc and went out and screwed things up for the next generation by voting out, without having the slightest understanding or appreciation of the implications of an out vote when we got into the nitty-gritty of the detail.

I agree with you in that I don't trust the current lot to get us a good exit, but I don't trust any other lot either - its a fiendishly complex environment and one which the remaining EU is hardly likely to give us concessions on now we've spoiled the party. Its an absolutely thankless task and quite frankly, every conceivable outcome they manage to achieve is worse than it would have been if we'd stayed.

The fact that half the people who are now whingeing about the detail are the very ones who voted to get us into this mess without stopping to understand exactly what they were voting for in the first place absolutely beggars belief!!
Image

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 14999
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:20 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:43 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:30 am

I don't trust any of the current lot to negotiate a good exit. I had no idea how difficult it would be to extract ourselves from some of the legislative processes and personally, I'd never considered the question of the Irish border.
Hence why we're in the mess we're in now.

I mean - nothing personal - but the reason we are leaving the EU is exactly because of a substantial population of people in a similar position to you voting to leave without giving thought to exactly the problems we are seeing.

This is why the referendum was flawed from the off. Many people jumped on the bandwagon about immigration, laws, NHS funding etc etc and went out and screwed things up for the next generation by voting out, without having the slightest understanding or appreciation of the implications of an out vote when we got into the nitty-gritty of the detail.

I agree with you in that I don't trust the current lot to get us a good exit, but I don't trust any other lot either - its a fiendishly complex environment and one which the remaining EU is hardly likely to give us concessions on now we've spoiled the party. Its an absolutely thankless task and quite frankly, every conceivable outcome they manage to achieve is worse than it would have been if we'd stayed.

The fact that half the people who are now whingeing about the detail are the very ones who voted to get us into this mess without stopping to understand exactly what they were voting for in the first place absolutely beggars belief!!
And you, sir, are the very sort of idiot that you accuse others of being. Of course it's complex, and there are literally thousands of strands to each argument of whether staying or leaving is beneficial... but you, in your wisdom can balance all of these things out, consider the pros and cons of each of the strands, and arrive at a constructive, logical, and inevitable conclusion: i.e. you're correct and we should stay!
Me on the other hand, I'm (according to your logical, balanced brain) an aged drooling, right-wing fascist, racist imbecile who wouldn't know an argument if I was in one and who hasn't got a clue what nuanced means and who obviously never thought through the implications.

Tit.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 14999
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:43 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:04 am
Hoboh wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:36 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:13 pm
Nice to see the Republicans lose control of the house. Lets see Trump's tax affairs now.....
Nice to see all those who said Trump would get a right drubbing with egg on their faces again.

Mid term, mass unrest, worst President ever or supposedly so according to lefty dipshits, democrats going to annihilate him, mmm something didn't quite go according to the liberal luvvies handbook did it?

Actually on reflection I wouldn't mind another EU referendum to shut the F*** up the remoaning idiots because no one I know who went out first time has changed their mind and the way the EU has been negotiating has peed off some of those who were in the remain camp :D
Actually he did get a drubbing, Hobes. It's a complicated system but only one third of senators are up for election, while all member of the House are voted for. It so happened this year the majority of senators running for re-election were Democrats, many running in what we now call "red" states or "Trump" states since 2016. So the Senate election was limited and did not see any major shift of voting patterns compared with the 2016 election (don't forget all these Senators were elected in 2012 under Obama). Basically Republicans held on to the ground they held in 2016, which meant more Senate seats. The House election on the other hand was nation-wide and showed a major change in voting patterns over 2016 - a major reaction against Trump. This may be why Trump fired his Attorney-General today. It is now the major topic of conversation, so Trump has deflected attention from his mid-term House defeats. Clever man in some ways.
Sorry Monty. He did not get "a drubbing".
It was mid term when most governments (whichever flavour they are) tend to lose.
Trump actually gained 2% of the popular vote in the Senatorial contest (bolstered by men and rural voters above and beyond his original constituency). That, in nobody's terms can be described as a drubbing!. I accept that in the Representatives election he was down 6% of the popular vote (a swing precipitated by educated women and urban voters). But, the election for the House gave the Democrats a far larger potential impact than that given by the Senate election, and the 2 v 6 percentage gains in each merely shows how divided America is, it certainly does not indicate either side is capable of Drubbing the other.
What's more, turnout was a mere 49%, which hardly demonstrates an engaged electorate, and is yet another indicator of undrubbdness.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23520
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:10 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:43 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:04 am
Hoboh wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:36 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:13 pm
Nice to see the Republicans lose control of the house. Lets see Trump's tax affairs now.....
Nice to see all those who said Trump would get a right drubbing with egg on their faces again.

Mid term, mass unrest, worst President ever or supposedly so according to lefty dipshits, democrats going to annihilate him, mmm something didn't quite go according to the liberal luvvies handbook did it?

Actually on reflection I wouldn't mind another EU referendum to shut the F*** up the remoaning idiots because no one I know who went out first time has changed their mind and the way the EU has been negotiating has peed off some of those who were in the remain camp :D
Actually he did get a drubbing, Hobes. It's a complicated system but only one third of senators are up for election, while all member of the House are voted for. It so happened this year the majority of senators running for re-election were Democrats, many running in what we now call "red" states or "Trump" states since 2016. So the Senate election was limited and did not see any major shift of voting patterns compared with the 2016 election (don't forget all these Senators were elected in 2012 under Obama). Basically Republicans held on to the ground they held in 2016, which meant more Senate seats. The House election on the other hand was nation-wide and showed a major change in voting patterns over 2016 - a major reaction against Trump. This may be why Trump fired his Attorney-General today. It is now the major topic of conversation, so Trump has deflected attention from his mid-term House defeats. Clever man in some ways.
Sorry Monty. He did not get "a drubbing".
It was mid term when most governments (whichever flavour they are) tend to lose.
Trump actually gained 2% of the popular vote in the Senatorial contest (bolstered by men and rural voters above and beyond his original constituency). That, in nobody's terms can be described as a drubbing!. I accept that in the Representatives election he was down 6% of the popular vote (a swing precipitated by educated women and urban voters). But, the election for the House gave the Democrats a far larger potential impact than that given by the Senate election, and the 2 v 6 percentage gains in each merely shows how divided America is, it certainly does not indicate either side is capable of Drubbing the other.
What's more, turnout was a mere 49%, which hardly demonstrates an engaged electorate, and is yet another indicator of undrubbdness.
A couple of things with this analysis.

The voter turnout was a 50 year high for mid-terms.

And the swing of house representatives away from the presidential party is the 3rd largest in the last 10 mid-term elections.

It was a bad night for Trump who as usual came out with his spin and aggression to try and deflect. I mean it certainly wasn't as bad as it could have been. But the regions contested in the senate were always going to favour Trump this time - there was no big win for him there. He can point to governor elections which generally were better for him. But if something close to the house results were replicated in a presidential election it would be over for Trump. Not saying it will be - presidential elections are entirely different. Just that overall he avoided disaster but still suffered greatly.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 6241
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:11 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:43 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:30 am

I don't trust any of the current lot to negotiate a good exit. I had no idea how difficult it would be to extract ourselves from some of the legislative processes and personally, I'd never considered the question of the Irish border.
Hence why we're in the mess we're in now.

I mean - nothing personal - but the reason we are leaving the EU is exactly because of a substantial population of people in a similar position to you voting to leave without giving thought to exactly the problems we are seeing.

This is why the referendum was flawed from the off. Many people jumped on the bandwagon about immigration, laws, NHS funding etc etc and went out and screwed things up for the next generation by voting out, without having the slightest understanding or appreciation of the implications of an out vote when we got into the nitty-gritty of the detail.

I agree with you in that I don't trust the current lot to get us a good exit, but I don't trust any other lot either - its a fiendishly complex environment and one which the remaining EU is hardly likely to give us concessions on now we've spoiled the party. Its an absolutely thankless task and quite frankly, every conceivable outcome they manage to achieve is worse than it would have been if we'd stayed.

The fact that half the people who are now whingeing about the detail are the very ones who voted to get us into this mess without stopping to understand exactly what they were voting for in the first place absolutely beggars belief!!
No offence taken but that's largely patronising bollo*ks!

This whole narrative of those who voted leave didn't know what they were voting for but those who voted remain did, is just ridiculous.

There were politicians and economists of all political persuasions on both sides of the argument. Your ordinary man in the street couldn't be expected to know all the various pro's and cons and had to make a decision based on what they were hearing. Just like a general election.

Hardliners apart, I'm sure most voted on the basis of either - things are ok/things could be better.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests