General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 17464
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:31 pm

On another subject, it's tragic that Isobel Bytautas was struck by lightning and killed on a Munro over the weekend.
However, I take exception to the idea it was a freak, one in a million accident. The one photo of her published in the Times shows her all geared-up sitting on a summit cairn somewhere in Scotland. Not even the non eagle-eyed can fail to notice that sticking up and out from her rucksack behind her back is a furled umbrella, metal point upwards.
Striding around on exposed ridges with makeshift lightning rods in inclement weather doesn't constitute either 'freak' nor one in a million odds - you've significantly increased the odds of being hit.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12435
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:33 am

I suspect whoever our new PM is might have their hands full with more than just leaving the EU

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... an-us-navy

We are creeping towards a far bigger threat of war than Burger King in North Korea ever was.

Enoch
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3699
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Enoch » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:20 pm

Found myself this afternoon driving behind a motorcyclist with a camera planted on top of their helmet.

The thought occurred to me; in the event of litigation, can the defendant demand access to all the footage recorded, so as to illustrate what a reckless arse the plaintiff is?

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 17464
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:11 pm

Enoch wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:20 pm
Found myself this afternoon driving behind a motorcyclist with a camera planted on top of their helmet.

The thought occurred to me; in the event of litigation, can the defendant demand access to all the footage recorded, so as to illustrate what a reckless arse the plaintiff is?
No.

My neighbour has CCTV.
Some years ago another neighbour's van was set fire to. The van contained gas cylinders which went up like a bomb. The first neighbour told the second neighbour and me (whose garage was damaged in the conflagration) that the perpetrator was readily recognisable on his CCTV hard disc. Only by then the police had it, and refused to allow us to view on 'human rights' grounds.
No further investigation took place and no one was charged. And why, because 'third parties' were also readily identifiable on the footage. My first neighbour couldn't even get his hard disc back.

Qualified by Yes. If the owner of the footage is the dick in question, and has also published that footage himself prior to a request to use it in evidence.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3699
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Enoch » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:51 pm

Not sure that answers the question.

I'm not familiar with the rules of evidence but in a courtroom situation, where footage was entered, who has editorial control?

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 17464
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:20 pm

Enoch wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:51 pm
Not sure that answers the question.

I'm not familiar with the rules of evidence but in a courtroom situation, where footage was entered, who has editorial control?
Nobody. The entire footage is available to both prosecution and defence. The footage itself is evidence. There is no editorial control.
But... It has to be admitted as evidence in the first place.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 17464
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:23 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:20 pm
Enoch wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:51 pm
Not sure that answers the question.

I'm not familiar with the rules of evidence but in a courtroom situation, where footage was entered, who has editorial control?
Nobody. The entire footage is available to both prosecution and defence. The footage itself is evidence. There is no editorial control.
But... It has to be admitted as evidence in the first place.
The prosecution may well, for example just show five seconds of an hour's worth.
But the defence can show a different minute of that hour.
And the judge can overrule them both and determine the jury must watch the entirety of the footage.
Does that give you your answer?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3699
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Enoch » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:31 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:23 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:20 pm
Enoch wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:51 pm
Not sure that answers the question.

I'm not familiar with the rules of evidence but in a courtroom situation, where footage was entered, who has editorial control?
Nobody. The entire footage is available to both prosecution and defence. The footage itself is evidence. There is no editorial control.
But... It has to be admitted as evidence in the first place.
The prosecution may well, for example just show five seconds of an hour's worth.
But the defence can show a different minute of that hour.
And the judge can overrule them both and determine the jury must watch the entirety of the footage.
Does that give you your answer?
Not really as the knob will have recorded endless hours of his weaving in and out of traffic, accelerating at ridiculous rates and generally ignoring the highway code.

Just feel if you choose to wear a camera all it's capture should be available and admissible.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12435
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Hoboh » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:52 am

Enoch wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:20 pm
Found myself this afternoon driving behind a motorcyclist with a camera planted on top of their helmet.

The thought occurred to me; in the event of litigation, can the defendant demand access to all the footage recorded, so as to illustrate what a reckless arse the plaintiff is?
Bikers tend to wear cameras to counter the usual I didn't see him when they pull out. Being a biker I can tell you this happens a hell of a lot round towns and I have to say men are the worst culprits.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 37464
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:56 am

Hoboh wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:52 am
Enoch wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:20 pm
Found myself this afternoon driving behind a motorcyclist with a camera planted on top of their helmet.

The thought occurred to me; in the event of litigation, can the defendant demand access to all the footage recorded, so as to illustrate what a reckless arse the plaintiff is?
Bikers tend to wear cameras to counter the usual I didn't see him when they pull out. Being a biker I can tell you this happens a hell of a lot round towns and I have to say men are the worst culprits.
You mean there are "women" motorcyclists Hobes? :shock: Good grief, they'll be wanting to vote and join the golf club next. Outrageous.... :lol:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Enoch
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3699
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Enoch » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:00 am

I found this a worthwhile read.

An insight into the Boeing 737 Max disasters.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 37464
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:14 pm

Enoch wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:00 am
I found this a worthwhile read.
An insight into the Boeing 737 Max disasters.
I read the whole of that through Enoch and, whilst obviously unable to add any useful comment, the arguments for pilot error based on available facts do appear very strong. Once again, the need for "newer and better" (as in this case of equipment) seems to always kick in against tried and provable systems; I suppose it always will. These investigations only ever take place after a disaster has occurred. Finding victims to blame always seems to be of prime importance over solutions in all walks of life. Only the pilots and God know the truth, and even that is little consolation to the families of those who died, except praying for the souls of their departed. The Etheopian guy's comment about Boeing grounding all similar models worldwide as a telling relevant factor is surely amiss? Till some solution is reached, what else could Boeing do? A massively high proportion of percentage still show aircraft fly safely daily.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 17464
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:52 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:14 pm
Enoch wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:00 am
I found this a worthwhile read.
An insight into the Boeing 737 Max disasters.
I read the whole of that through Enoch and, whilst obviously unable to add any useful comment, the arguments for pilot error based on available facts do appear very strong. Once again, the need for "newer and better" (as in this case of equipment) seems to always kick in against tried and provable systems; I suppose it always will. These investigations only ever take place after a disaster has occurred. Finding victims to blame always seems to be of prime importance over solutions in all walks of life. Only the pilots and God know the truth, and even that is little consolation to the families of those who died, except praying for the souls of their departed. The Etheopian guy's comment about Boeing grounding all similar models worldwide as a telling relevant factor is surely amiss? Till some solution is reached, what else could Boeing do? A massively high proportion of percentage still show aircraft fly safely daily.
65 people a day, every day, die on average due to lightning strikes. So when people say you have more chance of dying by being struck by lightning than dying by being in a plane crash, the odds aren't as massive as most people conceive.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 17464
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:33 pm

If Royal Derby Hospital was more concerned with food hygiene and less concerned with how many halal meals it can serve, it might actually not have killed anybody recently.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3699
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Enoch » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:10 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:14 pm
Enoch wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:00 am
I found this a worthwhile read.
An insight into the Boeing 737 Max disasters.
I read the whole of that through Enoch and, whilst obviously unable to add any useful comment, the arguments for pilot error based on available facts do appear very strong. Once again, the need for "newer and better" (as in this case of equipment) seems to always kick in against tried and provable systems; I suppose it always will. These investigations only ever take place after a disaster has occurred. Finding victims to blame always seems to be of prime importance over solutions in all walks of life. Only the pilots and God know the truth, and even that is little consolation to the families of those who died, except praying for the souls of their departed. The Etheopian guy's comment about Boeing grounding all similar models worldwide as a telling relevant factor is surely amiss? Till some solution is reached, what else could Boeing do? A massively high proportion of percentage still show aircraft fly safely daily.
I've read that a few times and I don't see how it points to pilot error.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35082
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:17 am

Enoch wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:10 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:14 pm
Enoch wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:00 am
I found this a worthwhile read.
An insight into the Boeing 737 Max disasters.
I read the whole of that through Enoch and, whilst obviously unable to add any useful comment, the arguments for pilot error based on available facts do appear very strong. Once again, the need for "newer and better" (as in this case of equipment) seems to always kick in against tried and provable systems; I suppose it always will. These investigations only ever take place after a disaster has occurred. Finding victims to blame always seems to be of prime importance over solutions in all walks of life. Only the pilots and God know the truth, and even that is little consolation to the families of those who died, except praying for the souls of their departed. The Etheopian guy's comment about Boeing grounding all similar models worldwide as a telling relevant factor is surely amiss? Till some solution is reached, what else could Boeing do? A massively high proportion of percentage still show aircraft fly safely daily.
I've read that a few times and I don't see how it points to pilot error.
All the reports I've heard and read point to the pilots basically losing fights with the aircraft's auto correcting system. I haven't heard pilot error being mentioned anywhere.
I don't need fun to have alcohol

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 17464
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:41 pm

PC gone mad, or me being a whinge-smith?
The Times, in a series of still images from a train CCTV, distinguishes Lee Pomeroy from Darren Pencille by pointing out Pomeroy is in a purple shirt: fer fxcking fxcks sake - Lee Pomeroy is the white bloke, whilst Darren Pencille is the black bloke!
In the first image you can't even see the fxcking purple shirt!!!!
Is it overtly racist to point out the race of the protagonists these days?
Maybe I've overstepped the mark by calling them both blokes.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 17464
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:59 pm

^
One specific thing about those images though: they show a completely empty carriage. As in devoid of anyfxcker other than Lee Pomeroy and Darren Pencille.
And yet, according to reports, the murder occurred as the result "of a blocked aisle".
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35082
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:17 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:59 pm
^
One specific thing about those images though: they show a completely empty carriage. As in devoid of anyfxcker other than Lee Pomeroy and Darren Pencille.
And yet, according to reports, the murder occurred as the result "of a blocked aisle".
Had this exact same conversation last night. I'd allowed myself to think that the train must've been rammers.

Also, when Pencille buggered off into a different carriage, Pomeroy chased after him to continue the row. As such, I've little doubt that Pencille will play the self-defence card. However, stabbing someone 18 times in self-defence? Really?

I've a feeling that this one's going to run.
I don't need fun to have alcohol

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 6697
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:28 pm

It's an odd scenario. The younger, presumably fitter, guy going out of his way to avoid confrontation with the bulky older chap aggressively pursuing him. Pomeroys own son saying his dad could never let go and shrug off such incidents.

On the face of it, self defence sounds reasonable. Carrying a knife however, clearly is not. Either way, he's looking at a sizeable chunk of his future life being spent in prison.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests