I come in Peace

My name is ..... and I'm a Boltonoholic....It won't make you better but at least you're not alone.....New to the site? Then introduce yourself here............

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Shy Talk
Hopeful
Hopeful

I come in Peace

Post by Shy Talk » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:34 pm

Hello there. As you may have guessed from the Subject heading I am not a Bolton supporter. I am a season ticket holder for Aston Villa, but as a football fan I also like to see what is happening with other clubs. As such I have joined this site. Not here on a wind up (We get enough of those sort of fans on the site I use - especially Liverplop fans) just here for a bit of banter and to see what is happening in the Trotters world.

ST

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:38 pm

just some bitching and in fighting

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:45 pm

good name
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:30 pm

Welcome, Fella. Good to have you along. Feel free to dive in and get your views across.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:55 pm

Hello mate, glad to have you here.

I've actually been following Villa since they gave us a clout, and they looked to have taken the bull by the horns. Must certainly the inform team during the run in, and came out of the traps this season, as they went in at the end of last.

Villa seam to have a really good settle team, with some incredibly prosperous and exciting youthful players in Young and Agbonlahor, and Barry has the same effect on you that Gerrard has for Liverpool. Not to mention adding Friedel to your ranks.

I had Villa down for winning the F.A cup, as it's hard to see them coming out of the season with nothing, the form they are in (I wouldn't look to deeply into yesterday's result. Sometimes it's good to get your arse spanked to give the team a wait up call)

For me, your season depends on keeping Barry and the fitness and continued partnership of Carew and Agbonlahor which has been on fire for some time now.

Welcome and feel free to post where you like. :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:03 pm

The fact that they can score for fun but can't defend for shit having completely passed you by then, Soldier?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:06 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:The fact that they can score for fun but can't defend for shit having completely passed you by then, Soldier?
the new newcastle then?

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:12 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:The fact that they can score for fun but can't defend for shit having completely passed you by then, Soldier?
the new newcastle then?
I tell you, they should've paid Olaf Melberg as much as he wanted (well, within reason).

Shy Talk
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Shy Talk » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:21 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:Villa seam to have a really good settle team, with some incredibly prosperous and exciting youthful players in Young and Agbonlahor, and Barry has the same effect on you that Gerrard has for Liverpool. Not to mention adding Friedel to your ranks.
To be honest with you, the Barry/Gerrard comparison is a bit wide of the mark. A criticism of Barry by most Villa fans is his lack of ability to take the game by the scruff of the neck and influence it in a way Steeeeeevie Geeeeeeeee does for Liverplop. Barry may well be our best Central Midfielder, but he is far from the most important player in our team (Behind Ashley Young and Martin Laursen) For all Barry's good press at the moment, he still goes missing too often when the going gets tough.
Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:I had Villa down for winning the F.A cup
It will never happen - we always draw Manyoo in the 3rd Round!
Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:(I wouldn't look to deeply into yesterday's result. Sometimes it's good to get your arse spanked to give the team a wait up call)
The problem with Saturdays game (I was there) and has been for Villa for a number of years now, is our inability to deal with "rough" teams. Teams that don't mind getting stuck in. No disrespect to Stoke, because they were by far the better side on Saturday and fully deserved their win. And if continue to play like that will stay up. But that is a game we should've won easily. Hopefully you are right about the wake up call. We have FC Howmuchisthatdoggyinthewindow at home on Thursday in the UEFA Qualifying Round 2nd Leg (Leading 4-1) so that should give us a chance to boost our confidence before a small matter of Liverplop at home on Sunday. (This season's Birmingham derby in terms of hatred/atmosphere for Villa!)
Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:For me, your season depends on keeping Barry and the fitness and continued partnership of Carew and Agbonlahor which has been on fire for some time now.

Welcome and feel free to post where you like. :D
Keeping Barry will be of more help than selling him. But our season depends upon Ashley Young, and the 2nd Season syndrome, and the team learning to keep a clean sheet. Gabby is overrated - he has his good games (Man City at home) about once every 4/5 games. Rest of the time he is very infruriating. He needs to learn to be more consistant. Carew can be the same, but his presence alone causes problems.

If we can bring in a quality right winger (Milner please) and a 20 goal a season striker I think we could challenge the top 4. As it stands though I (And I guess the majority of Villa Fans) would settle for a 6th place finish and a decent cup run.

Thanks for the warm welcome

Shy Talk
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Shy Talk » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:24 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:
the new newcastle then?
I tell you, they should've paid Olaf Melberg as much as he wanted (well, within reason).
For Mellberg it was not about money. He had the opportunity for one last big move to a league he has always wanted to play in, and also Champions League football. He will be sadly missed by Villa - and goes with the best wishes of all Villa fans. The man is an absolute legend, and I would love to see him back at Villa Park playing for Juve in the Champions League.

Not sure if it was publicised when it happened - but for the last away game of the season at West Ham (Olof's last game) he purchased 3500 Villa Replica Shirts and gave them to the Villa fans at the game as a thank you for our support.

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:25 pm

yeah, the meeja never shut up about it

so what

diouf bought me a pint once, so there

Shy Talk
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Shy Talk » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:27 pm

So what?

Just that in this day and age of players being criticised for being greedy bastards, it is nice when some of them do some good with the fans.

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:27 pm

sure he could afford it anyway

i'd be grateful if one came out and admitted they were in it for the cash

Shy Talk
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Shy Talk » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:29 pm

Think there is more chance of Ashley Cole coming out and admitting he is gay than that happening!

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:45 pm

The back end of last season:

Aston Villa 4 - 0 Bolton Wanderers Premier League
Derby County 0 - 6 Aston Villa Premier League
Aston Villa 5 - 1 Birmingham City Premier League
Everton 2 - 2 Aston Villa Premier League
Aston Villa 0 - 2 Wigan Athletic Premier League
West Ham 2 - 2 Aston Villa Premier League

2008/2009 season:

Stoke 3 - 2 Aston Villa
Aston Villa 4 - 2 Man City

25 for 10 against. most mid-table teams would wet themselves for them stats. Not to mention the fact that out of their last eight matches, Villa have scored at least four goals in four of them.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:13 pm

not sure why you've jumped to that conclusion, look at the opposition, they've managed keep clean sheets against relegation fodder and shipped goals for fun against mid-table teams and some relegation fodder. I'd say that Bruce's comments stack up better than your goals for and against rationalisation. You can score 25 in one game and concede 1 in each of the next 10 and take just 3 points from 33.