NEW (well...old) MEMBER

My name is ..... and I'm a Boltonoholic....It won't make you better but at least you're not alone.....New to the site? Then introduce yourself here............

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Stan The Man
Hopeful
Hopeful

NEW (well...old) MEMBER

Post by Stan The Man » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:14 pm

Oreet boys 'n' girls?

I'm Stan. Stan Bowles. I was a member of this here site aaaaaages ago, but I lost my login details so thought it best to simply re-register.

The large majority of you will have no idea who I am or where I'm from so here goes.

Originally from Bolton, I now live in Wolverhampton and have done so for over four years. Back in the day I was fortunate enough to be a part of the wonderful team that used to produce and sell the most successful fanzine in the club's history: Tripe 'n' Trotters. It has been five years or so since that faded into the shadows after its landmark 50th issue, and three years since I reluctantly gave up my season ticket at t'Reebok and I have to say I haven't missed it one bit!

The season ticketless period of my life started ok; I managed to get to the majority of home games the first year. But even then, I knew it was all going stale under Big Sam and things needced freshening up. the season after I attended two games, and this most recent season has seen yours truly attend one solitary game. And that was a free ticket I only agreed to accept once I knew the evenings events that Saturday were starting late enough to allow me to get back from the game in plenty of time!

In an email convo with ome friends the other day (one of which - Dave Sutton's Barnet - I know is a member on this site and a regular forum poster) I gave my frank and honest views. It's difficult to describe, but I think the most fitting word to describe my feelings for BWFC at the moment is this: Acceptance.

Acceptance that we will never be a regular top eight side in the top flight. We do not have the resource, the pulling power or the fan base to do it on a regular basis.

Acceptance that we did indeed ahieve this feat for four consecutive seasons under BSA, however I also have an,

acceptance that we were 'punching above our weight' back then.

Acceptance that to get any real enjoyment from going to top flight games in the near future I need to do it on a social basis, with friends. Going alone to support mediocre football does not set the pulses racing.

Acceptance that although we do put lots and lots of effort in, this alone does not cut it in the top flight. Our previous club captain made this point for me when we sold him. He now plays second tier football.

Acceptance that although I would like to see a more swashbuckling and cavalier approach to our game, signing the quality of player to provide such a thrill is nigh on impossible for a club such as ours.

But most of all, an acceptance that I was beginning to sound like a City fan, and that I need to get off my lazy arse and throw some weight behind my club once again!

Speak soon

Stan the Man
"One step closer and I'll f***ing banjo ya!"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:23 pm

Velcome. Have fun.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:24 pm

Could you go into a bit more detail please, I don't feel like we know enough about you.

Welcome x
Was right all along

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:32 pm

Welcome back Stan. There was a member called Stanley78 from "Bloody Wolverhampton" but I don't think he posted much. Then there was crocker from the same locale who posted much more.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:43 pm

Come in Stan and join (re-join) the gang. Be glad to have your input on things so pull a chair up and dig in. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Stan The Man
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Stan The Man » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:46 pm

Yeahhhhh that was me - Stanley78! I remember now.

Cheers peeps.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:28 pm

Heeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, Stanley!!! :D

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:12 pm

Hello, Stan.

And welcome.

You were kind enough to publish some of my drivel in TnT many years ago.

Albeit only once or twice.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Stan The Man
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Stan The Man » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:53 pm

Haha - I'm guessing that's the original William the White??? You still in regular contact with Les ? :wink: hehe

And who are you Puskas?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:18 pm

Was yours the one that published my letter about us signing Mike Doyle?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:27 pm

Welcome (back) Stan.

Eloquent introduction, but errrr Megson in or Megson is the deevil incarnate? :-)

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:19 am

G'day, Mr.B., nice to see you back.

Your precis made interesting reading, by the way. :D

Don't be embarrassed about residing in Wolverhampton as I, having no experience of Brum and its surrounds, am an ignoramus when it comes to its geography, demography or any other -ography you might conjure up should you attempt a description of your adopted slice of England's countryside. :wink:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:41 pm

Hello there matey, not much happened since you were last here I guess :mrgreen:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:34 pm

Hello

Always good to see the old TnT gang back. An avid reader from days of yore that got me into all this whinging about Bolton nonsense.

I was too youn gto contribute but laughed at how excited my dad got when he had an article published. Now I get the same buzz when my posts are quoted and highly abused by some no nowt (thats anyone who disagrees with me by the way :wink:)

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:30 pm

STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's Ket. You'll enjoy it here. Hell, if I can win Poster Of The Year in my first season, you'll be fine.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

SuperWhiteWarrior
Promising
Promising

Post by SuperWhiteWarrior » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:05 am

Welcome to the forum
Where The One And Only Wanderers