First Match Day Visit to the Reebok

My name is ..... and I'm a Boltonoholic....It won't make you better but at least you're not alone.....New to the site? Then introduce yourself here............

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Caro-Kann
Hopeful
Hopeful

First Match Day Visit to the Reebok

Post by Caro-Kann » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:54 pm

On the way back from Wales to Scotland from our Summer holiday we broke our journey at the Premier Inn opposite the Reebok and so took the opportunity to arrange a tour of the stadium with my 5yr old. As a result he's now let's say a Bolton follower, and persuaded me go to your pre-season friendly with Falkirk plus our PVR is full of MotD highlights. I have a bit of a soft spot for the Trotters as being an Airdrie fan I'm afraid you're management team will forever be legends in my eyes.
Anyway to the point of this post, I've decided to for-go the chance of sampling the delicacy that is the Fofar bridie for the second time this season and instead have booked the train and match tickets for the Bolton v Wigan cup tie as a surprise for the wee boy and to be honest I'm quite looking forward to it myself.

The plan is to arrive at Horwich Parkway about 1.15pm, is it normally a problem getting into the Harvestor Restuarant around this time when a match is on?

What's it like at this train station after the match, we'd be heading towards Preston?

We're not used to big crowds at the fitba :) following the Diamonds!

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Re: First Match Day Visit to the Reebok

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Don't bother with Harvester - it's shit.

Go around the other side of the ground (opposite the club shop) and you'll find the Fanzone where you'll get cheap drinks and cheap food = a Scotsman's dream.

Welcome.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:00 pm

Welcome

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:25 pm

Well done, sir. You won't regret it! Well, you probably will, but your son won't. :wink:

The fanzone (when it's open) offers cheap(ish) beer and food and pre-match entertainment. Loads of kids there too and activities for them (including appearances from Lofty and Lofty junior)

Is your lad a member of the Junior Whites? They get (amongst other things) free tickets for two home games a year (with a paying adult of course).

Have a look on the main website for the details. http://www.bwfc.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And welcome.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:24 pm

Caro-Kann wrote: being an Airdrie fan I'm afraid you're management team will forever be legends in my eyes.
Ah, and at the risk of boring those that've heard me recant this tale before (although I'll abridge it somewhat) was in Glesga in November 1990, the then brother in law decides we'll go to a game. He's a big Celtic fan but they were away up north. We end up going to Firhill Park to see Partick v Airdrie, principally to see a young forward by the name of Owen Coyle, who'd been smacking them in for fun until that point. However, it turned out that he was injured for that game and I didn't get to see him play until he turned out for us. However, this did give rise to me being a boring know-all tosser whenever anyone asked "Who the feck's this Owen Coyle that we've signed?".

Welcome to The-Wanderer, fella. You should be absolutely fine regarding the train as Wigan's to the west and the trainline through the parkway runs north to south.

Loads of places for you grab a nosebag up on the shopping development, but as the guys have said - you and your boy might enjoy the experience of the Fanzone more than you would a Wanderers themed Maccy D.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:25 pm

Welcome

Caro-Kann
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Caro-Kann » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:05 pm

Thanks for all the tips folks, much appreciated.

At the start of the 1990-91 season Owen Coyle scored 17 goals in 7 consecutive league games!

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:10 am

Welcome Caro-Kann.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Caro-Kann
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Caro-Kann » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:45 am

Arrived at just after 1.30pm and headed for the fanzone as you suggested and was impressed with the facilities that were on offer to fans prior to the game. We had tickets almost in line with the half way line for the top deck of the main stand and so had a fantastic view. Thought we were going to see a goal within 15 secs despite Wigan having the kick off. As nil-nil games go this one was relatively entertaining with both teams creating chances, Kevin Davies I think may have had a couple were he to have displayed his early season form. So that's us seen two Bolton games both of which ended goalless.

It's a shame a local derby in the FA cup with prices set so low couldn't attract a bigger crowd.

Thanks again for the tips, back to watching the Diamonds again though until Owen hopefully brings the Trotters north pre-season.
I've got a strong feeling our kids will be the only ones in the street with Bolton mini-kits!

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:38 pm

welcome caro-kann. Chess player per chance?
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:40 pm

Verbal wrote:welcome caro-kann. Chess player per chance?
good spot! Bronstein-Larsen variation, anyone?

welcome on board check mate!

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:47 pm

thebish wrote:

No way, Smyslov variation every time...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:52 pm

Verbal wrote:
thebish wrote:

No way, Smyslov variation every time...
hmmm... a good way of reaching the Steinitz Deferred the Jaenisch Gambit is more dashing - and (dare I say) Coylesque.. :wink:

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:44 pm

Meh, I just like trying the Caro-Kann mating trap you can get with the Smyslov...checkmate in six :)

And re: Bronstein-Larsen variation...if I'm going to double pawns I'm not going to ruin my kingside whilst I'm at it. Korchnoi variation ftw.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:45 pm

ha, yeah

Caro-Kann
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Caro-Kann » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:30 pm

Ok I guess that's me outed as a chess player.
However, I'd use the term chess player loosely as the advent of kids on the scene has resulted in my grade taking an exponentially downward spiral. Of course the kids are probably entirely blameless and it's just old age.