Hi from California

My name is ..... and I'm a Boltonoholic....It won't make you better but at least you're not alone.....New to the site? Then introduce yourself here............

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Re: Hi from California

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Mon May 16, 2011 7:23 am

Fascinating Sluffy. Thanks.

Welcome britlass.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Big_Sharps
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Big_Sharps » Mon May 16, 2011 2:32 pm

You filled the frigid lesbian darts playing role very well and you was sorely missed on BA.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon May 16, 2011 2:33 pm

:lol: I like the cut of your jib

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon May 16, 2011 2:35 pm

sluffy wrote:
Dujon wrote:To sluffy, should you pop back in: does that sort of monopolistic garbage still exist (the article was from a few years back). I can understand an organisation protecting hard earned data - but fixtures? The F.A. and most clubs advertise them! What does dataco seek?
Dataco IS the licensing part of the joint Premier and football leagues - and as been set up to protect its intellectual property - ie the football fixtures.

The clubs themselves, being part of the Premier of Football leagues can advertise the fixtures as much as they want - they own them - but anyone else, newspapers, TV or simple footy forums like ours have to pay for the privilege.

Some forums however do advertise and take the chance they won't get caught.

I guess it all depends upon how honest you are.
Interesting stuff, thanks!

josh8
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by josh8 » Mon May 16, 2011 10:52 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:
sluffy wrote:
Dujon wrote:To sluffy, should you pop back in: does that sort of monopolistic garbage still exist (the article was from a few years back). I can understand an organisation protecting hard earned data - but fixtures? The F.A. and most clubs advertise them! What does dataco seek?
Dataco IS the licensing part of the joint Premier and football leagues - and as been set up to protect its intellectual property - ie the football fixtures.

The clubs themselves, being part of the Premier of Football leagues can advertise the fixtures as much as they want - they own them - but anyone else, newspapers, TV or simple footy forums like ours have to pay for the privilege.

Exemption agreed

Publishers of the fixtures are charged, but each club can nominate one fanzine to pay a token £1 for the right.

Equal pay-outs

Unlike TV money, the distribution is egalitarian, approximately:

18% to the Premier League clubs;

56% to Football League clubs;

25% to Scotland, mostly to Scottish Football League clubs. Revenue generated by DataCo: £7.5m.

New ruling

The European Court of Justice in Luxembourg ruled last December that football authorities cannot charge for fixture lists under the EU's database directive 1996. The 1959 case, though, has never been challenged.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon May 16, 2011 11:12 pm

britlass wrote: . . . For whomever it was that posted that starting the intro sounding bitter isn't the best way to start; I was bitter at being banned by Sluffy but I am not bitter now. Was just stating what is a little about my recent history.
'Twas I, britlass. Thanks for the explanation; it's convinced me not to put you in the naughty corner. :grin:

Thanks to you too, sluffy. I understand your explanation but I'm still confused as to why football supporters (or non-supporters for that matter) are denied the opportunity to discuss openly upcoming fixtures, the state of the league at any point in time and the relative strengths and weakness of the combatants. Maybe I'm misinterpreting something (or I'm as thick as a plank) - anyway, good sir, I'll leave it at that.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Tue May 17, 2011 12:03 am

josh8 wrote:
Lofthouse Lower wrote:
sluffy wrote:

Exemption agreed

Publishers of the fixtures are charged, but each club can nominate one fanzine to pay a token £1 for the right.

Equal pay-outs

Unlike TV money, the distribution is egalitarian, approximately:

18% to the Premier League clubs;

56% to Football League clubs;

25% to Scotland, mostly to Scottish Football League clubs. Revenue generated by DataCo: £7.5m.

New ruling

The European Court of Justice in Luxembourg ruled last December that football authorities cannot charge for fixture lists under the EU's database directive 1996. The 1959 case, though, has never been challenged.

Thank you Josh for simply cutting and pasting from the very link I posted in the first place, well done!

I'm sure you took the time and trouble to do further research on this matter too - (in case you didn't I think the following link may be of some assistance). -

http://www.harbottle.com/hnl/pages/arti ... l/9007.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For what it is worth I think a simple solution to the problem of creating a BWFC wide 'predictions league' which you seem to be so keen to do, would be for the BWSA (of which you are a committee member) to get the club to 'nominate' it as the official 'fanzine', and thus run it on there legally for just the nominal cost of £1.00.

It certainly would get you out of the potentially embarrassing position of possibly being taken to court by the Premier League (Dataco) for infringing their copyright, whilst at the same time sucking up to a Premier League club in your position as a BWSC committee member!

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Tue May 17, 2011 12:10 am

Dujon wrote:Thanks to you too, sluffy. I understand your explanation but I'm still confused as to why football supporters (or non-supporters for that matter) are denied the opportunity to discuss openly upcoming fixtures, the state of the league at any point in time and the relative strengths and weakness of the combatants. Maybe I'm misinterpreting something (or I'm as thick as a plank) - anyway, good sir, I'll leave it at that.
You (or anyone else) are free to discuss fixtures to your hearts content - what you cannot do is PUBLISH them.

To do that you need a licence or you would be infringing their copyright.

josh8
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by josh8 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:22 pm

To constitute a 'fixture list' as stated by Dataco you need to provide Dates..... of which we don't do.. so we don't actually print 'fixtures' ..... and how do you know what agreement we may or may not have with either Dataco or the Club...?

Instead of hijacking every thread or forum I go on with your petty griping.. Don’t you think you should be concentrating all your efforts on ridding your 'tumbleweed' site of the remaining 3/4 decent posters you have left ...?

Big_Sharps
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Big_Sharps » Tue May 17, 2011 5:37 pm

josh8 wrote:To constitute a 'fixture list' as stated by Dataco you need to provide Dates..... of which we don't do.. so we don't actually print 'fixtures' ..... and how do you know what agreement we may or may not have with either Dataco or the Club...?

Instead of hijacking every thread or forum I go on with your petty griping.. Don’t you think you should be concentrating all your efforts on ridding your 'tumbleweed' site of the remaining 3/4 decent posters you have left ...?
Sluffy is killing Burnden Aces, ITK fact.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 17, 2011 5:49 pm

find somewhere else to wave your knobs at each other... please?

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Tue May 17, 2011 5:58 pm

Locked. This is not a primary school playground.