Hi. Bit of historical help please!

My name is ..... and I'm a Boltonoholic....It won't make you better but at least you're not alone.....New to the site? Then introduce yourself here............

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

tsandboard
Hopeful
Hopeful

Hi. Bit of historical help please!

Post by tsandboard » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:53 pm

Hello. I am trying to find any information about a former player from the 1920's whose name was Thomas Anderson. I think he possibly played for the second team in 1925. I have contacted the Club directly, but no records. I would be really grateful if there is anyone with any historical interest/knowledge that could help me. Ta.

Lily

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Hi. Bit of historical help please!

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:19 pm

tsandboard wrote:Hello. I am trying to find any information about a former player from the 1920's whose name was Thomas Anderson. I think he possibly played for the second team in 1925. I have contacted the Club directly, but no records. I would be really grateful if there is anyone with any historical interest/knowledge that could help me. Ta.

Lily
Hi Lily:

Thomas, who signed for Bolton in 1921, was the brother of the infamous George Walter Anderson.
George Walter Anderson (født i 1893 i Cheetham, Manchester, England – 1959[1]) er en tidligere fotballspiller for Manchester United.

Hans rolle på banen var som angriper. Ligadebuten for Manchester United kom 9. september 1911 mot Everton (1. divisjon, 2-1, hjemme, ca. 20,000 tilskuere). Klubber: Waterloo Road Board School (junior), Broughton St.James´, Broughton Wellington, Salford United, Bury (mars 1910), Manchester United (80 kampe, 37 mål). Fra Bury til Manchester United i september 1911 for £50 (som 18-åring). Vinner av North Salford League, Haworth cup og Manchester League (med Salford United).

Toppscorer for Manchester United: 1913/14 (15 mål) og 1914/15 (10 mål). Gikk til Belfast United (Nord-Irland) i februar 1916, uten å fortelle styret i Manchester United om dette (og overgangen ble stoppet av «The Football League»). I 1918 ble han arrestert (og fikk 8 måneder i fengsel), for svindel angående tipping på fotballkamper. Hans yngre bror, Thomas Anderson, signerte for Bolton Wanderers i 1921.
The English wiki does not mention Thomas.
George Walter Anderson (born January 1893 in Cheetham, Manchester; died 1959, buried in Blackley Cemetery) was an English football player.[1] Anderson was a forward with Manchester United whose career started in 1911. Anderson went on to score 39 goals for United, and scored another 39 unofficial goals during the First World War.

Anderson was involved in a match fixing scandal that ended his career. In a game at Old Trafford on 29 December 1917 against Burnley, he was accused of fixing the match after three United players complained to the team president. He was then banned from Old Trafford on 8 January 1918 and later sentenced to an 8-month prison term after his trial in Liverpool.[1] In 1915 Anderson had already testified during the investigation of the 1915 British football betting scandal which led to the banning of seven Manchester United and Liverpool F.C. players.[1] Anderson's great nephew believes in his innocence and has campaigned to clear the name of his great-uncle.
You can check his family's attempt to clear his name - Sanchez, Raf (February 7, 2011). "Family's fight to clear United star jailed in match-fixing scandal 94 years ago". Manchester Evening News. Retrieved 13 November 2011. http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... tar-853420" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd try contacting Barry Sullivan, George's great nephew.

Hope this helps.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

tsandboard
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tsandboard » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:28 pm

Hi

Thanks for all the information, I appreciate the trouble you have taken to find it. I know about Thomas's infamous older brother George Anderson! I am related to them. Unfortunately I have never been able to find out anything about Thomas's time at Bolton Wanderers apart from a 1925 team picture I discovered in the B.E.N archives. But thanks anyway, I shall keep trying!

Lily

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:31 pm

Tango might be your best bet he probably sae him play :D