A big hello, from the WRONG side of the Pennines

My name is ..... and I'm a Boltonoholic....It won't make you better but at least you're not alone.....New to the site? Then introduce yourself here............

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Tonge No Moor
Hopeful
Hopeful

A big hello, from the WRONG side of the Pennines

Post by Tonge No Moor » Thu May 12, 2016 12:57 am

First and foremost, a big hello to everyone. I was born in Tonge Moor part of Bolton, 40 something years ago, and was dragged kicking and screaming over the pennines not long after. I was baptized into the BWFC fold by my granddad, who gave me a rather nifty flock sticker which read "I am a loyal supporter of Bolton Wanderers", which I duly stuck to my wardrobe door. Sadly that disappeared when the wardrobe fell to bits. A tattoo would have been more permanent, but unlike today, it wasn't pc to tattoo your grandchild back in the 70's.

My hopes are that the Wanderers can get back to where they rightfully belong. Leicester have just proved that is possible.
I am considering launching a personal appeal on behalf of BWFC, after all, Kids at sports day are now taught that there are no winners or losers, it`s the taking part that counts, so on those grounds I think we may have a case...

On a last note, please send pies... meat, meat and potato, I`m not picky. Over here a pie is classed an offensive weapon.

Cheers,

Chris
Some People Make things happen, Some People See things Happen, and Some People don`t know anything's happened at all.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Re: A big hello, from the WRONG side of the Pennines

Post by malcd1 » Thu May 12, 2016 12:24 pm

Welcome TNM (from a former Tonge Moor child). As you moved over to the dark side a long time ago, do you have a Yorkshire accent? Poor bugger if you do.

Do you mean those horrible jelly filled meat pies? Disgusting things. Prefer steak pies myself.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu May 12, 2016 12:55 pm

Tonge No Moor wrote:First and foremost, a big hello to everyone. I was born in Tonge Moor part of Bolton, 40 something years ago, and was dragged kicking and screaming over the pennines not long after. I was baptized into the BWFC fold by my granddad, who gave me a rather nifty flock sticker which read "I am a loyal supporter of Bolton Wanderers", which I duly stuck to my wardrobe door. Sadly that disappeared when the wardrobe fell to bits. A tattoo would have been more permanent, but unlike today, it wasn't pc to tattoo your grandchild back in the 70's.

My hopes are that the Wanderers can get back to where they rightfully belong. Leicester have just proved that is possible.
I am considering launching a personal appeal on behalf of BWFC, after all, Kids at sports day are now taught that there are no winners or losers, it`s the taking part that counts, so on those grounds I think we may have a case...

On a last note, please send pies... meat, meat and potato, I`m not picky. Over here a pie is classed an offensive weapon.

Cheers,

Chris

You're going to love Bobo. Or hate him.

Anyway, welcome from a Boltonian in exile too.....

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu May 12, 2016 1:04 pm

Another Tonge Moor exile here. That's if Bury counts as being 'in exile'!

Welcome!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu May 12, 2016 1:12 pm

I'm another Bolton exile, but a bit further than Bury. Welcome to TW, TNM.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 12, 2016 1:16 pm

And welcome from a Bolton returnee.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Tonge No Moor
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Tonge No Moor » Fri May 13, 2016 12:39 am

Thankfully I am told that I still have a strong Lancashire accent, however when I go to seem my cousins in bolton and bury this weekend I`m sure it will not seem the case. A fellow lancastrian told me that my vowels were now well and truly buggered. On a plus note, I haven`t yet acquired a flat cap or a whippet, and as yet haven't felt the urge to keep ferrets down my pants.

With regard to the pies, yes Jelly filled or even Custard would taste better than they do over here.

Thank you all for your warm welcome :)
Some People Make things happen, Some People See things Happen, and Some People don`t know anything's happened at all.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri May 13, 2016 9:30 am

Well, just bear in mind that it's 'th'em sixty two' and not 't'em sixty tow' ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 22, 2016 12:49 pm

Just seen this, Tonge no more, so another welcome. Many moons ago I spent two years in Walsden and Todmorden, classed as Calderdale W Yorks, not far from Lancs in distance but a million mles away in everything else. A born and bred Boltonion I found the language totally weird with all that "leyking" ( which I thought meant liking but actually means playing) football. I played football for both Walsden and Todmorden back in the days when pubs sold Ramsdens Stone Trough ales and pub food was a celophane bag with a cheese triangle, two small biscuits and a pickled onion, and a night out was a dance at Tod Town Hall or a train or bus to Rochdale Carlton. :D They weren't bad days really, but I couldn't wait to get back to Bolton. Anyway, dig in and welcome. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Tonge No Moor
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Tonge No Moor » Fri May 27, 2016 12:41 am

I remember the Cellophane Bags with the Biscuits, Dairy Lea Triangle and Pickled onion too, those were the days :D
As kids we always had to sit outside the pub with mum and nan, whilst dad and granddad went in and got leathered.
Nowadays, it`s the kids who run riot in the pubs, and the parents who sit outside !

I`ve never quite understood the term "leyking" or laking. I haven`t heard that in years... I used to play snooker for a club team league, and every week some yorkshire guy sat at the bar would ask "are you laking tonight bud?" Didn't have a clue what he was on about, so I just nodded and smiled politely.

Thanks for your warm welcome.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 27, 2016 12:51 am

Ploughmans.

Stick your sandwich up your arse
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.