Strange email

Tell us how to make the site a better place, and we'll pretend the idea was ours all along.....

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:Generally speaking in published versions the comma comes after merry

God rest ye merry, gentlemen, let nothing you dismay,
Remember Christ our Savior was born on Christmas Day;
To save us all from Satan’s power when we were gone astray.

Merry is not an adjective describing the gentlemen, but an adverb for rest. It seems to come from as early as the C15th.
And I think you'll find that there's a u in your "Savior" thank-you very much, matey boy! :wink:
True - I used the American spelling (not because I used it per se but simply tried cut and paste because I'm lazy).
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:30 pm

quite right

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:41 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote: True - I used the American spelling (not because I used it per se but simply tried cut and paste because I'm lazy).
In which case, you'll do for me, cocker! :wink:
May the bridges I burn light your way

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:15 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Generally speaking in published versions the comma comes after merry

God rest ye merry, gentlemen, let nothing you dismay,
Remember Christ our Savior was born on Christmas Day;
To save us all from Satan’s power when we were gone astray.

Merry is not an adjective describing the gentlemen, but an adverb for rest. It seems to come from as early as the C15th.
Yes, I just looked in the OED too, and it seems that 'rest' used to be used as a transitive verb (almost always with the Deity as the subject, apparently), meaning something like 'keep'.

:oops:
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families