New emoticon

Tell us how to make the site a better place, and we'll pretend the idea was ours all along.....

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

New emoticon

Post by David Lee's Hair » Thu May 01, 2008 1:56 pm

Can we get a "handbags at 5 paces" one?

Been a fair few petty squabbles developing of late, it could be a bit like a :nws: one to warn people away :mrgreen:

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Thu May 01, 2008 2:01 pm

It should be handbags at 10 paces. You tosser.

:wink:

WhiteArmy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: New emoticon

Post by WhiteArmy » Thu May 01, 2008 2:30 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:Can we get a "handbags at 5 paces" one?

Been a fair few petty squabbles developing of late, it could be a bit like a :nws: one to warn people away :mrgreen:
I think the reason for the upsurge in the pettysquabbling department is it's supposed to be a forum open for discussion, but you have either the keyboard warrior bullies, or the pc police on your case every time you post something they disagree with. :evil:

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu May 01, 2008 2:43 pm

:conf:
The PC Police? What do they do, issue your laptop with a ticket for going too slowly?
Businesswoman of the year.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu May 01, 2008 3:17 pm

CrazyHorse wrote::conf:
The PC Police? What do they do, issue your laptop with a ticket for going too slowly?
I thought PCs were the police. :?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

WhiteArmy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by WhiteArmy » Thu May 01, 2008 3:49 pm

Well in my experience the Politically Correct police tell you what you can and can't say about certain people, teams, towns etc.,

Nothing new really, lots of forums i frequent have the same Policemen, some telling you that the word 'fenian' is sectarian for example, which isn't precisely true, but let's not let that get in the way of a moral crusade eh?

Are these things really going to offend anyone but the most sensitive of little darlings?

Too many tossbags on forums have grown up in nice little semi's on prettily landscaped estates to realise there's a harsh nasty world out there on the other side of their monitors. Bless 'em.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu May 01, 2008 4:07 pm

I think Crazy Horse was jesting, WA, as was I. We know what you meant.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Thu May 01, 2008 4:23 pm

It's all just a bit of banter really?

Internet...serious business :)

Seriously, it's just the internet!

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu May 01, 2008 4:59 pm

Dunno about anywhere else on the internet but the 'toosbags' on this site don't want to read about people mocking the dead or making jokes about suicide bombers.
Businesswoman of the year.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu May 01, 2008 5:03 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:Dunno about anywhere else on the internet but the 'toosbags' on this site don't want to read about people mocking the dead or making jokes about suicide bombers.
What the blood and stomach pills is a toosbag? I'm fairly sure I'm not one but I don't mock the dead or jest about tragedy.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 01, 2008 5:07 pm

May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu May 01, 2008 8:49 pm

WhiteArmy wrote:
Well in my experience the Politically Correct police tell you what you can and can't say about certain people, teams, towns etc.,

Nothing new really, lots of forums i frequent have the same Policemen, some telling you that the word 'fenian' is sectarian for example, which isn't precisely true, but let's not let that get in the way of a moral crusade eh?

Are these things really going to offend anyone but the most sensitive of little darlings?

Too many tossbags on forums have grown up in nice little semi's on prettily landscaped estates to realise there's a harsh nasty world out there on the other side of their monitors. Bless 'em.
This one grew up on the Spake on Halliwell, has lived on a couple of housing estates in Westhoughton and Farnworth and spent twenty years working in Liverpool's docklands. I still know the difference between common respect and just plain bad manners.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu May 01, 2008 9:05 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
WhiteArmy wrote:

This one grew up on the Spake on Halliwell, has lived on a couple of housing estates in Westhoughton and Farnworth and spent twenty years working in Liverpool's docklands. I still know the difference between common respect and just plain bad manners.
Have to admit that comment got me a bit too, Tango.

I was always taught good manners cost nothing. I don't think the house you were brought up in or the income of your parents changes that.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Thu May 01, 2008 9:41 pm

if there is one it should prob be themed on didier drogba

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu May 01, 2008 9:48 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
WhiteArmy wrote:

I'm afraid I cannot claim humble origins - I had a privileged upbringing by many standards and have a quiet academic job. Still, it strikes me as wrong to use terms that offend others even if I am not offended myself. This may be political correctness gone mad, but I don't think we should take any joy from a tragedy like Munich.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Thu May 01, 2008 10:22 pm

WhiteArmy wrote:

Your description clearly refers to Breightmet, an idyllic corner of England from which I am proud to hail.

But I don't think it matters where you come from. Taking some form of delight from a tragic accident which killed a number of young sportsmen in their prime sort of separates you from normal society, in my view. :roll:
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu May 01, 2008 10:37 pm

There was no need for this to surface on here. The point was made elsewhere. Let's let it drop now hey?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Fri May 02, 2008 7:25 am

TANGODANCER wrote:There was no need for this to surface on here. The point was made elsewhere. Let's let it drop now hey?
Stand up and challenge it wherever it appears TD! :)
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!