One Month Ban

Tell us how to make the site a better place, and we'll pretend the idea was ours all along.....

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

One Month Ban

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:33 pm

Unfortunately Batman has just incurred a one-month ban from the site. His ban will end on 24 July.

The reasons?

1) Publishing the contents of a Private Message from another member in a public forum (Please don't waste time looking for it, it's been deleted!)

2) Flaming new members for no apparent reason.

3) Abusing other members of the forum for no apparent reason.

Items 2 and 3 worthy of a ban (or a strong warning) in their own right. Abusing the PM facility is a definite no. No point in having it if people cannot use it properly. By the way, if someone sends you an abusive PM don't stick it on a public forum, just let a mod know. Action will be taken, if it breaks the rules.) The PM sent to Batman was not abusive, by the way.

Hopefully Batman will understand the reasons for the temporary ban and will come back positively next month. He has contributed a great deal to this site over a long period of time.

There are few rules on here. Those that exist contribute to making this site the best and most informative Wanderers forum around, in my view. I hope you understand the reasons for this action.

Finally, it may go some way to killing the myth, perpetrated by a couple of members when asked to moderate their behaviour, that "there is one rule for them and a different one for us". That rule does not apply - it never did. There's no "us" and no "them"! :wink:
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:55 pm

Since I have been known to have been critical of "heavy handed modding" in the past, I suppose it is only right that I go on record when I agree with a decision. I did read the thread in which the PM appeared (obviously before Zulu's difficulties elaborated in the 'Where's keveh?' thread were resolved). To me it was simply an attempt to remove public back-biting off the pages as was suggested by Bench last April. It should not have been published for the apparent sole purpose of continuing a public feud. I also welcome the fact that the ban (and it's length) have been published. In the past members have been banned and we do not know the reason (although SOTWA did eventually publish a lpartial ist). They simply disappear - were they banned, did they go off in a huff, etc.? This uncertainty has proved troublesome and caused some to question whether there is one law for the rich, etc. It is better if members are made aware of these things and, should we disagree with the action, take up the issue with site admin. I will also add my voice to those hoping Batman will be back in a month, once the dust has settled.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:13 pm

As someone who as fought long and hard in the hidden forums on this site for transparency and openness of they way things are done and the treating equally of all posters I too welcome the decision and its announcement.

I do find it ironic though that I was sacked for fighting for these very reasons and specifically in regards to Batman’s behaviour.

Maybe the next issue that should be addressed is that of posters on this site with more than one user name?

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:23 pm

sluffy wrote:As someone who as fought long and hard in the hidden forums on this site for transparency and openness of they way things are done and the treating equally of all posters I too welcome the decision and its announcement.
We do get it right every now and again y'know. :D
sluffy wrote:I do find it ironic though that I was sacked for fighting for these very reasons and specifically in regards to Batman’s behaviour.
Let's not go there.
sluffy wrote:Maybe the next issue that should be addressed is that of posters on this site with more than one user name?
While this can be a pain in the arse, we've not had any problems with 'split personalities' for ages. Besides, there aren't currently any on here that I'm aware of (at least none that I can prove :wink: ) but feel free to pm me any users you suspect and I can check it out.
Businesswoman of the year.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:24 pm

sluffy wrote:As someone who as fought long and hard in the hidden forums on this site for transparency and openness of they way things are done and the treating equally of all posters I too welcome the decision and its announcement.

I do find it ironic though that I was sacked for fighting for these very reasons and specifically in regards to Batman’s behaviour.
Maybe the next issue that should be addressed is that of posters on this site with more than one user name?
It's obvious to me that this site has moved on then, Sluffy. I think you should too.

Regarding posters with more than one name, you have me at a disadvantage there, as I haven't a scooby what you are on about. Surely not me appearing as Zulus for a couple of posts whilst my sign-on problems were sorted out last week?

I suspect not.
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:27 pm

I'd heard that Zulu is someone's other alternative log-in....bloody one rule for the rich....:LMFAO:

This is meant to be a joke, not a serious point. Please do not take it as anything other than an attempt at humour

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:31 pm

Worthy4England wrote:I'd heard that Zulu is someone's other alternative log-in....bloody one rule for the rich....:LMFAO:
I wish I was bloody rich! :D
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:38 pm

LET ME OUT

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:27 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:

It's obvious to me that this site has moved on then, Sluffy. I think you should too.

Regarding posters with more than one name, you have me at a disadvantage there, as I haven't a scooby what you are on about. Surely not me appearing as Zulus for a couple of posts whilst my sign-on problems were sorted out last week?

I suspect not.
I'm obviously very pleased the site as moved on in the way that I had fought very hard for. It would seem that a great deal of what I sought - which I have to remind you was strongly opposed at the time - as now been adopted. Indeed I was sacked for endeavouring to establish an impartial modderating facility, one that would treat all members equally and end 'favouritism' and avoid potential conflict of interests.

Maybe if that had been established at that time issues such as this with Batman could have been dealt with much earlier and less confrontationally?

As for me moving on - well believe it or not far worse things have happened to me than getting sacked as a mod on here - and I've some how managed to survive.

As good as tw is, it is still only a footy forum - I wanted to help make it better, I wasn't allowed to do so - end of story.

As for people with more than one user name - when I became a mod I was interested to see if posters such as Natasha, Mich, etc, were the outer-ego's of other posters on here. Unfortunately I was not around long enough before I was sacked to find out too much - but in that time I did find out two members who did this. However as you have pointed out that you have two user names (albeit very similar) for over three years it would appear that this site condones such a practice.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Re: One Month Ban

Post by ratbert » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:29 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Hopefully Batman will understand the reasons for the temporary ban and will come back positively next month. He has contributed a great deal to this site over a long period of time.
:| :roll:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:42 pm

sluffy wrote: I'm obviously very pleased the site as moved on in the way that I had fought very hard for. It would seem that a great deal of what I sought - which I have to remind you was strongly opposed at the time - as now been adopted. Indeed I was sacked for endeavouring to establish an impartial modderating facility, one that would treat all members equally and end 'favouritism' and avoid potential conflict of interests.

Maybe if that had been established at that time issues such as this with Batman could have been dealt with much earlier and less confrontationally?

As for me moving on - well believe it or not far worse things have happened to me than getting sacked as a mod on here - and I've some how managed to survive.

As good as tw is, it is still only a footy forum - I wanted to help make it better, I wasn't allowed to do so - end of story.
As for people with more than one user name - when I became a mod I was interested to see if posters such as Natasha, Mich, etc, were the outer-ego's of other posters on here. Unfortunately I was not around long enough before I was sacked to find out too much - but in that time I did find out two members who did this. However as you have pointed out that you have two user names (albeit very similar) for over three years it would appear that this site condones such a practice.
Sluffy, a favour. You have been asked to drop the matter of your "sacking" several times. It's past history and the admin team are constantly making attempts to make the forum a bettet place. Forward, not backward hey? Peace in the valley.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:42 pm

sluffy wrote:
Zulus Thousand of em wrote:

I suspect not.
I'm obviously very pleased the site as moved on in the way that I had fought very hard for. It would seem that a great deal of what I sought - which I have to remind you was strongly opposed at the time - as now been adopted. Indeed I was sacked for endeavouring to establish an impartial modderating facility, one that would treat all members equally and end 'favouritism' and avoid potential conflict of interests.

You really are the Florence Nightingale of Football Fora, sluffy. Happy now?

And, as for my two user name conspiracy, I used the second one (Zulus) on 13 November 2005 which is not yet "over three years" ago. I used it for about three days (from memory) when I had problems in logging on in my normal name. I joked about it, openly, at the time. I had cause to do the same thing again on 23 June (yesterday). I made six posts. Again, anyone who was interested (probably only you) was made aware that I was using that other identity yesterday.

You need to get out more, I think.
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:45 pm

sluffy wrote:As someone who as fought long and hard in the hidden forums on this site for transparency but in that time I did find out two members who did this. However as you have pointed out that you have two user names (albeit very similar) for over three years it would appear that this site condones such a practice.
I think we can forgive those who have two signs on when they have encountered technical difficulties such as happen to Zulu from time to time - I doubt there was much attempt to fool us there. He could have picked a more subtle alias...

I would rather get rid of the many, many members who joined years ago and have never posted. It adds problems to using the members list. However, I suppose there are some who lurk regularly. Still they could do that without joining...
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:52 pm

Sluffy, if you wish to continue this particular conversation please PM me. I don't think anyone else is interested in our discussion. I'm not too interested myself, to be honest.
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:52 pm

As a non-mod, non-admin, "normal" (and I use the term in its loosest possible sense) member, I'd like to post an observation here, without being in possession of any of the "facts".

Is there any possibility that everyone could agree that someone left the mod/admin team "by mutual consent" and move on, instead of the same theme taking over every time there is some modding that takes place? Unless you were directly involved it's pretty much a non-issue to most people I suspect.

Either that or give the topic it's own thread and discuss amongst yourselves there. The rest of the world could then decide whether they want to be involved or not....
Last edited by Worthy4England on Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:54 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Is there any possibility that everyone could agree that someone left the mod/admin team "by mutual consent" and move on, instead of the same theme taking over every time there is some modding that takes place? Unless you were directly involved it's pretty much a non-issue to most people I suspect.
:pray:
Businesswoman of the year.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:05 pm

Worthy4England wrote:As a non-mod, non-admin, "normal" (and I use the term in its loosest possible sense) member, I'd like to post an observation here, without being in possession of any of the "facts".

Is there any possibility that everyone could agree that someone left the mod/admin team "by mutual consent" and move on, instead of the same theme taking over every time there is some modding that takes place? Unless you were directly involved it's pretty much a non-issue to most people I suspect.

Either that or give the topic it's own thread and discuss amongst yourselves there. The rest of the world could then decide whether they want to be involved or not....
What about those who've left to take a break from modding only to turn up on a Newcastle forum within days? What should we do with them, W4E?
They may have taken our forum to levels not previously achieved, even helping to produce t-shirts to be worn on European tours (something we could only dream about 10 years ago), and all on a budget of beans, but should we be eternally grateful?

Or am I confusing this with something else? :wink: :roll:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:15 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:As a non-mod, non-admin, "normal" (and I use the term in its loosest possible sense) member, I'd like to post an observation here, without being in possession of any of the "facts".

What about those who've left to take a break from modding only to turn up on a Newcastle forum within days? What should we do with them, W4E?
They may have taken our forum to levels not previously achieved, even helping to produce t-shirts to be worn on European tours (something we could only dream about 10 years ago), and all on a budget of beans, but should we be eternally grateful?

Or am I confusing this with something else? :wink: :roll:
We should have a little compassion, Enfield - that poor mod got kicked out of the Newcastle forum after a few months and now cannot sign on anywhere.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:23 pm

Batman was banned because he broke the rules, multiple times over the last week or so. He was sent a warning, which had no effect.

Knowing Batman as I do. If you was to ask him about it, he'd probably reply "What took em so fxcking long?"

We try to be as fair as possible on here, but will not allow multiple abusive posts to different members.

Not much more to it then that.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:38 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:We try to be as fair as possible on here, but will not allow multiple abusive posts to different members.
Shut up.