Quick point from a "lurker."

Tell us how to make the site a better place, and we'll pretend the idea was ours all along.....

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The Benevolent One
Hopeful
Hopeful

Quick point from a "lurker."

Post by The Benevolent One » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:11 pm

In response to the following:

"I would rather get rid of the many, many members who joined years ago and have never posted. It adds problems to using the members list. However, I suppose there are some who lurk regularly. Still they could do that without joining..." <that's from the ill-fated "Why Batman was suspended" thread>

I'm definitely guilty of lurking; I tend to read the site at least daily, but seldom post. My reasoning is primarily that I use the site for information, given that it's often one of the best sources for current news, and what I can take from the ongoing banter (strange how I feel I know certain members so well...) Anyway, I suspect I'm not unique in that position.

My main reason for joining as opposed to just browsing is that I only get the handy red 'new post' indications when logged in; so if there were moves afoot to cut down on the member list, I and others like me would definitely lose out in that regard. Pointing this out was probably unnecessary, but it's just my point of view...

Anyway, keep up the good work; I spend a lot of time on here avoiding doing any real work. And remember; just because you can't see us, doesn't mean we're not watching you... :D
"If mankind minus one were of one opinion, then mankind is no more justified in silencing the one than the one - if he had the power - would be justified in silencing mankind."

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Okay - I withdraw the suggestion - forgot about the red thingy for read thingies.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:15 pm

Agreed - and keep lurking Benevolent One! :D
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:20 pm

Christ! Better go put some pants on! :shock:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:21 pm

Hello, TBO. Glad you like what goes on round here. I also defend your right to consume information (and debate) without feeling the need to add your voice; I suppose if everyone chimed in constantly it'd be close to anarchy, both on here and in democracies everywhere...

I'd also imagine that admin would be able to tell who's actively lurking and who hasn't logged on since Allardyce was manager, so any proposed 'pruning' would presumably start with the absent rather than the silent...

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:24 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Hello, TBO. Glad you like what goes on round here. I also defend your right to consume information (and debate) without feeling the need to add your voice; I suppose if everyone chimed in constantly it'd be close to anarchy, both on here and in democracies everywhere...

I'd also imagine that admin would be able to tell who's actively lurking and who hasn't logged on since Allardyce was manager, so any proposed 'pruning' would presumably start with the absent rather than the silent...

Sssshshhhhhhhh!!!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:32 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Hello, TBO. Glad you like what goes on round here. I also defend your right to consume information (and debate) without feeling the need to add your voice; I suppose if everyone chimed in constantly it'd be close to anarchy, both on here and in democracies everywhere...

I'm here
just making sure i get noticed

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:40 pm

hoboh2o wrote:

Someone say something? could have sworn I heard someone say something...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:49 pm

Hello TBO .

Glad to hear from someone who just reads the forums (prefer it to lurkers, which sound like potential burglars :wink: ). "Lurk" on, but do post the odd item or two. Every member we have is welcome and it's good to know you're out there.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:05 pm

Blimey, Tango is at it again...RUN TBO, RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!!!

:mrgreen:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:09 pm

FD wrote:Blimey, Tango is at it again...RUN TBO, RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!!! :mrgreen:
And Bollox to you too FD. :lol:

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:14 pm

Hey hey, I'm not the one "grooming" the "lurkers"...

:D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:15 pm

FD wrote:Hey hey, I'm not the one "grooming" the "lurkers"...:D
The Benevolent One is a fourteen year old girl? :shock: :mrgreen:

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:16 pm

Oh sure, pretend you didn't know that with all your modly powers! 8)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:31 pm

FD wrote:Oh sure, pretend you didn't know that with all your modly powers! 8)
:lol:

Le Snake
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Le Snake » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:01 am

I'm not here, and never was

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:53 am

...and you've not seen me!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:59 am

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:...and you've not seen me!
"Such is the British arrogance and superiority that they think they can wear white helmets and bright red coats and not be seen in a field of yellow wheat"............................................................................................. Chaka, King of the Zulus.

(wasn't actually, it was me) :wink: :mrgreen:

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:28 am

That's why we all keep getting slotted then? :D
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:42 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
hoboh2o wrote:

Someone say something? could have sworn I heard someone say something...
:lmfao: