TextSpeak

Tell us how to make the site a better place, and we'll pretend the idea was ours all along.....

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:34 pm

So presumably there'll be a couple of people banned within a week then? :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:42 pm

FD wrote:So presumably there'll be a couple of people banned within a week then? :D
That's the beauty of being here. You just never know. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:43 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
FD wrote:I'm confused.

What exactly is and isn't text speak? I never use text speak personally but occasionally will use "internet speak" in the form of a "LOL" or a "IMHO" (in my humble opinion).

I hate text speak as much as anyone but I don't get why it's an issue? Live and let live I say, or die and burn in hell if you use text speak! :mrgreen:
Are just first letter of word abbreviations. Text twaddle is chopping words down and using "sound alikes" ie, M8 for mate. On a mobile phone, for speed and cost saving I can more understand it. On here, just confusing. Laziness springs to mind, with the users convinced it's the new way to go.
Which is perfectly valid. However, the English language is constantly evolving and word are shortened and changed and used out of context all the time. Text speak is simply a faster means of communicating but the reader has to translate the shorthand into recognis(z)able language which means it takes twice as long to read as normal.

In context (mobile phones) it's fine. My rule of thumb would be to write as you speak.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:44 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

What exactly is and isn't text speak? I never use text speak personally but occasionally will use "internet speak" in the form of a "LOL" or a "IMHO" (in my humble opinion).

I hate text speak as much as anyone but I don't get why it's an issue? Live and let live I say, or die and burn in hell if you use text speak! :mrgreen:
Are just first letter of word abbreviations. Text twaddle is chopping words down and using "sound alikes" ie, M8 for mate. On a mobile phone, for speed and cost saving I can more understand it. On here, just confusing. Laziness springs to mind, with the users convinced it's the new way to go.
Which is perfectly valid. However, the English language is constantly evolving and word are shortened and changed and used out of context all the time. Text speak is simply a faster means of communicating but the reader has to translate the shorthand into recognis(z)able language which means it takes twice as long to read as normal.

In context (mobile phones) it's fine. My rule of thumb would be to write as you speak.
Aye, tha's reet lad.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:54 am

enfieldwhite wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

So you type beer every 5 words then eh? :wink:

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:59 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

So you type beer every 5 words then eh? :wink:
My itinerary extends beyond the Public House I'll have you know. There's an off-licence on the way home. :mrgreen:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:22 pm

There's a perfectly good keyboard in front of you. Use it.