The new layout

Tell us how to make the site a better place, and we'll pretend the idea was ours all along.....

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jaffka
Legend
Legend

The new layout

Post by jaffka » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:30 am

The main forum page which lists the various discussion area now has a new layout with the Latest Articles listed.

I would have added a poll but clearly am not deemed important enough to have that privilege. :(

I don’t like it! :o

What does everyone else think?

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:40 am

I *really* don't like it, ruins the whole asthetic of the page.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:13 am

I don't know whether or not I like it, but it's too soon after facebook did the same. Nothing I know is real anymore!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:52 am

Fair do's.....

As the old saying goes, you can't please all of the people all of the time....

Anyways, a few people have asked for this change previously and it's something we (the Mods) have always talked about since the start. The problem we have is that many of our members (and lurkers for that matter) bookmark the forums and bypass the home page entirely, resulting in many of the fine articles (that are members have selflessly slaved over) being unread. Having a list of the articles on the forums is one obvious way of directing peoples attention, as well integrating the home page more with the life blood of the forums.

However, I can see the argument regarding the aesthetic look of the site being affected. But perhaps this is also a bit of a knee jerk reaction to change? It can be viewed in the same way as someone coming into your living room and covering the walls in bright orange wallpaper without asking...... :wink:

Keveh is working on a few things re the site the moment and this is just one of them. Please be assured that all comments are valued and will be well received, and I am sure Keveh will look at this further.

If you think there is a better way of integrating the front page then, by all means, share! It's so much more helpful and gives us something to work towards rather than the Little Britain favourite of I don' like it..... :D
Smarties have answers.....

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:29 am

Adding an actual 'latest articles' sub- forum maybe?

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:34 am

Daxter wrote:Adding an actual 'latest articles' sub- forum maybe?
That sounds like a great idea :D was going to post it myself!

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:01 pm

Can't it just be made optional? Default = on (so new members to forum don't miss the home page) but an option for people like myself to turn it off?

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:13 pm

FD wrote:Can't it just be made optional? Default = on (so new members to forum don't miss the home page) but an option for people like myself to turn it off?
But difficult to do that FD (I think) as it would affect the scripting of the site (more from Keveh on this later!).

As for a sub-forum.....nice idea but it would completely negate the need for a front page!
Smarties have answers.....

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:28 pm

I'd like to keep it there for a while just to see if people get used to it, there's not point removing it after a day.

I could reduce the width of that column so that it doesn't shrink the forum pages. I don't think that it gets in the way too much because you only stay on the index page for a split second, you don't actually read it, you just click on the forum that is red.

The sub forum is a good idea, but I think people would start to ignore it and just mark it as read. The column is only on one page of the forum and I don't think it's too obtrusive.

Like I said, give it a couple of weeks and I'll throw up a poll then just to avoid knee jerk reactions.

As Bench said I am in the process of re-designing the site and adding a few new features in, if there is anything that you think would be helpful to you then just add your idea to this thread.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:37 pm

Everytime they change Facebook people are up in arms about it, because folk are never more conservative than when it comes to the appearance of their regularly-visited websites.

Inevitably, people get used to the changes very quickly and everyone wonders later what all the fuss was about.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:50 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Inevitably, people get used to the changes very quickly and everyone wonders later what all the fuss was about.
Except for the odd obstinate arse that has little better to do than to moan about every change that they ever encounter, I shouldn't wonder.
May the bridges I burn light your way

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:44 pm

I'm already getting used to it, although I left it a while before posting why it had changed in case it may have been something I'd done. :oops: :mrgreen:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:50 pm

I fear change
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:55 pm

Visa Electron will save you.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:10 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Inevitably, people get used to the changes very quickly and everyone wonders later what all the fuss was about.
Except for the odd obstinate arse that has little better to do than to moan about every change that they ever encounter, I shouldn't wonder.
I await PeterThompson's feedback with eager anticipation

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:22 pm

Getting a little "us versus them" around here isn't it...? :?

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:56 am

I am neither here or there.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:58 am

Verbal wrote:I am neither here or there.
here try this:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?rls=ig&hl=en&tab=wl

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:15 am

It's very important to keep the articles on a dedicated front page, and in the existing forums. The articles are what mark us out as different from our 'competitors'

But suggestions on layout and articles, etc are what this particular forum is for, so... 8)

Rated R Superstar
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rated R Superstar » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:25 pm

It took me a little by surprise and I wasn't all that keen at first. (I thought it made the forum page look cramped and over-crowded) But I can see the logic of having the articles there.

I don't hate it as much as the new Facebook layout. :P :wink:
Don't call it a comeback