Test

Tell us how to make the site a better place, and we'll pretend the idea was ours all along.....

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

keveh
Icon
Icon

Test

Post by keveh » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:26 pm

test

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:26 pm

test reply

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:34 pm

All up and running Keveh. Thanks.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

finlayson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by finlayson » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:45 pm

It's still not working for me.....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:48 pm

finlayson wrote:It's still not working for me.....
Oh, well you wn't be reading this then. :mrgreen:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:14 pm

thanks for fixing it keveh..

a whole day off - I ended up having to do some work! :evil:

finlayson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by finlayson » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:33 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
finlayson wrote:It's still not working for me.....
Oh, well you wn't be reading this then. :mrgreen:
Still broken. :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:51 pm

thebish wrote:thanks for fixing it keveh..

Comprising what exactly? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:59 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Explaining why god isn't an essential concept in modern christianity, I hope... :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:59 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

have you never watched the telly?

a vicar's "work" (on a weekday) is to wait about in a church somewhere moving hymnbooks about and dusting pews waiting for a murder to happen or a murderer to come in and confess something disturbing in a confessional...

but I'd had enough of that today...

if you really want to know - the bulk of the afternoon I spent with a woman who in the last 2 years has had 3 pregnancies end with stillbirths. I have been with her and her husband, at their request, each time it happened through the whole experience in the hospital. today she got some really bad news about IVF not working and simply wanted someone non-medical who had the time and the space to listen. (she is not part of the church at all)

apart from 1001 yawny committees and trustee meetings and governers meetings (etc) that vicars get dragged into - simply being available to people when nobody else has the time is quite a large part of my job. the local church pays me so that I can be available to all kinds of people who need it.

a huge privilege - and not summat I'd swap for much else. certainly a better job than when I was a pressure diecaster in the Burnley aluminium foundry (Ashworths) or when I worked in the rates office - or in the benefit office - or a as a care assistant in Wandsworth - or when I worked in the night shelter in Vauxhall

what did your work entail today Bruce?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:10 pm

William the White wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Explaining why god isn't an essential concept in modern christianity, I hope... :wink:
? :|

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:11 pm

thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

a vicar's "work" (on a weekday) is to wait about in a church somewhere moving hymnbooks about and dusting pews waiting for a murder to happen or a murderer to come in and confess something disturbing in a confessional...

if you really want to know - the bulk of the afternoon I spent with a woman who in the last 2 years has had 3 pregnancies end with stillbirths. I have been with her and her husband, at their request, each time it happened through the whole experience in the hospital. today she got some really bad news about IVF not working and simply wanted someone non-medical who had the time and the space to listen. (she is not part of the church at all)

apart from 1001 yawny committees and trustee meetings and governers meetings (etc) that vicars get dragged into - simply being available to people when nobody else has the time is quite a large part of my job. the local church pays me so that I can be available to all kinds of people who need it.

a huge privilege - and not summat I'd swap for much else. certainly a better job than when I was a pressure diecaster in the Burnley aluminium foundry (Ashworths) or when I worked in the rates office - or in the benefit office - or a as a care assistant in Wandsworth - or when I worked in the night shelter in Vauxhall

Without wishing to sound too sycophantic, I'm glad you were there for that woman too, Bish. I've been somewhere near what those people have been through and know how helpful it is to have someone to talk to who isn't a Doctor, nurse, liaison officer or even a partner. Just someone who lets you talk. So on their behalf, and because I'm still grateful to the vicar who helped me through my grief. Cheers.
Last edited by Gary the Enfield on Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:17 pm

thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

You're not actually a bad chap at all Bish. Then again, I watch Midsomer murders and know that it's sometimes the clergy who do the murders. :wink:

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:51 am

Thanks, keveh, it's nice to see the site back up and working. Cheers.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:16 pm

thebish wrote:
Err, in short? Flogging stuff to Johnny Foreigner. :wink:
May the bridges I burn light your way