Text - Enhance Malware

Tell us how to make the site a better place, and we'll pretend the idea was ours all along.....

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Text - Enhance Malware

Post by clapton is god » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:00 am

I'm using an iMac, which generally doesn't get troubled by virus activity, but twice in the last two weeks I have picked up the Text - Enhance malware after visiting the forum. The second time is this morning and it seems to have originated with the new poster in the general forum and in the kidnapped thread.

Its a harmless enough piece of malware that underlines random words and gives a hover popup advertising something or other. Very annoying though.

I now have a workaround installed to get rid after the first invasion so it disappears after I leave that page but when I go back to that thread it reappears. Anyone else suffering or is it just me? I might be on completely the wrong track but I suspect that thread and poster.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Text - Enhance Malware

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:04 am

PM me the details Clappers. Ta.
Businesswoman of the year.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:20 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:PM me the details Clappers. Ta.
C'mon, CH - surely this is a job for Super Keveh (unless he is playing with his Nexus). I haven't checked that thread so cannot comment - nor will I try to!
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:37 pm

It's all sorted.
I just had to re-route the site's inverse bandwidth via the standby server on Sealand, reboot the initialisation subroutines, download the SQL APIs and reset the Raid configuration.

Then I tried turning it off and on again.

Then I asked Keveh to sort it out.
Businesswoman of the year.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:46 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:It's all sorted.
I just had to re-route the site's inverse bandwidth via the standby server on Sealand, reboot the initialisation subroutines, download the SQL APIs and reset the Raid configuration.

:lol:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:47 pm

Meanwhile, Widnes has no power! ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:10 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Meanwhile, Widnes has no power! ;)
There's one thing about Crazy Horse. You can always count on him to do the right thing in the end. It is, perhaps, a pity, at least for the honest householders of Widnes (if any such exist), that he did not do it in the beginning. :D
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:03 pm

clapton is god wrote:I'm using an iMac, which generally doesn't get troubled by virus activity, but twice in the last two weeks I have picked up the Text - Enhance malware after visiting the forum. The second time is this morning and it seems to have originated with the new poster in the general forum and in the kidnapped thread.

Its a harmless enough piece of malware that underlines random words and gives a hover popup advertising something or other. Very annoying though.

I now have a workaround installed to get rid after the first invasion so it disappears after I leave that page but when I go back to that thread it reappears. Anyone else suffering or is it just me? I might be on completely the wrong track but I suspect that thread and poster.
Aye - course you have.

Wasted as a copper. :mrgreen:
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.