For the fans, by the fans

Tell us how to make the site a better place, and we'll pretend the idea was ours all along.....

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

For the fans, by the fans

Post by Dujon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:20 am

As an ex-pat I'm disappointed that the front page musings and match reports and previews seem to have fallen by the wayside. This site was based on the idea of members contributing little essays and reports which would normally be a bit too large for inclusion in a 'thread' but were perfect as a basis for further discussion. I believe that the tacit understanding was that such inclusions were to be about football, as related to BWFC, but could cover just about anything within that sphere of interest.

I miss them.

Have we evolved to a point where such contributions are pointless or have we, collectively, fallen to a place where the phrase 'for the fans, by the fans' has become a Non Sequitur?

Just a thought.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: For the fans, by the fans

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:27 am

I think everyone is depressed with the shambles we've been for so long. Hard to muster the enthusiasm. I also miss the articles, but not feeling inspired to write one either...

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:53 am

The articles are still there waiting to be written, I think most folk enjoy reading them. But for the last two seasons the uptake to the editors' requests for regular previews and reports was lacklustre at best.

The state of our football is partially to blame, as AT says but also the internet isn't the same as it was-I think Facebook & twitter have changed things.

Anyway, if anyone fancies writing a Watford preview or match report speak up. Or pm it to either TANGO or me and it will magically appear on the front page.
Businesswoman of the year.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:55 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:I think everyone is depressed with the shambles we've been for so long. Hard to muster the enthusiasm. I also miss the articles, but not feeling inspired to write one either...
Although I'm fairly new to the forum I can echo AT's remarks.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:20 am

for my part - I used to write previews and the occasional article - the results and the football and the whole club atmosphere (possibly consequently the forum atmosphere) ground me down and I couldn't face writing them with no discernible hope that it'd be any different from the previous week... the same thing finally did for TWSpy (though I think that had run its course anyway...)

I was kind of hoping Dougie's arrival would sweep all that away - he hasn't yet - but maybe the reappearance of articles and previews and match reports by members will be a real measure - and a properly objective one (!) - of whether Dougie succeeds or not!

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:00 am

I did write one for the U21 game against Reading, but I thought given "my standing" as it were on here at the time it was best not to send it in.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:45 am

bwfcdan94 wrote:I did write one for the U21 game against Reading, but I thought given "my standing" as it were on here at the time it was best not to send it in.
Send it in Dan. Even if it needs some editing it is worth it. Most articles get some form of editing before publication, so don't see that as a negative.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:01 am

Maybe BL3 would fancy doing one.

(in soooo many ways)
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:15 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Maybe BL3 would fancy doing one.

(in soooo many ways)
:lol:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:30 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
bwfcdan94 wrote:I did write one for the U21 game against Reading, but I thought given "my standing" as it were on here at the time it was best not to send it in.
Send it in Dan. Even if it needs some editing it is worth it. Most articles get some form of editing before publication, so don't see that as a negative.
Indeed, no better way to enhance your skills, Dan. Editors like to tinker with my articles before publication, AT (usually to shorten them :twisted: ) and I find it very annoying! However, you are correct. Writers write, editors edit - who has the real talent?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:39 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Indeed, no better way to enhance your skills, Dan. Editors like to tinker with my articles before publication, AT (usually to shorten them :twisted: ) and I find it very annoying! However, you are correct. Writers write, editors edit - who has the real talent?
Tango used to edit my previews - they always appeared with an extra paragraph extolling KD's virtues! :wink:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:29 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote: Indeed, no better way to enhance your skills, Dan. Editors like to tinker with my articles before publication, AT (usually to shorten them :twisted: ) and I find it very annoying! However, you are correct. Writers write, editors edit - who has the real talent?
You have my sympathy Monty. I used to work with the buggers and they used to edit my emails when replying to me. I swear they were born with a red pen up their arse :evil:
thebish wrote: Tango used to edit my previews - they always appeared with an extra paragraph extolling KD's virtues! :wink:
:lol:

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:14 pm

Have sent it in to Tango btw.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:01 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:Have sent it in to Tango btw.
You're on the Home page Dan. Well done. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:21 pm

^ well done, Dan.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:50 pm

^ Very well done indeed, Dan. A really good read. Have you thought about putting yourself forth as being the site's U18's Correspondent? I think it could be good for all.
As Dujon attests, yes, the rest of us have become quite shite at match reports (previews being a waste of time as far as I can see), so, maybe a more concerted effort by all is required. However, and I've made this suggestion before, that we all know how the football went, so match reports should be more of an individuals account of their experience (as Dan's is).
May the bridges I burn light your way

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:11 pm

That's the stuff, Dan though it was probably better before Tango edited it...
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:58 am

What a fantastic response! I was expecting either no reaction or some sort of lukewarm blathering. Your collective comments regarding us being poor over the last season or two I understand but, come on, it's the club we all follow through thick and thin isn't it?

To you, CrazyHorse, I was in no way criticising admin or the moderators/editors. After all there's not much you can do if members don't submit the copy.

Dan, that was an interesting little article and just the thing we need (well, in my opinion anyway). I certainly wasn't expecting such a rapid submission!

Right, the rest of you, flat caps on and quills at the ready . . . Go

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:03 am

Good job Dan :D

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:56 am

Can I just say that I don't believe for a second that Dan's report was edited by Tango - (not a single mention extolling the virtues of SKD).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください