Site Not Playing Up

Tell us how to make the site a better place, and we'll pretend the idea was ours all along.....

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Site Not Playing Up

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:46 pm

Clear browser cache etc. If that doesn't work then try flushing the DNS - dunno how you do that on Apple stuff though...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:13 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Clear browser cache etc. If that doesn't work then try flushing the DNS - dunno how you do that on Apple stuff though...
like i said - soak it in the bath for a couple of hours...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:30 pm

thebish wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Clear browser cache etc. If that doesn't work then try flushing the DNS - dunno how you do that on Apple stuff though...
like i said - soak it in the bath for a couple of hours...
Or down the bog if an iPhone...

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:39 pm

well you lot are helpful, have been having the same problem on my phone too.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:45 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:well you lot are helpful, have been having the same problem on my phone too.
how on earth will a gooner-girl keep up to date with minute-by-minute Bolton Wanderers news??? :shock:

these two items that can't get the site - have they got anything in common? :wink:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:53 pm

No need to be snarky Bish, I can cope perfectly well without the forum (unlike you) Its just Keveh had asked people to point out issues and I may not be the only person having problems with an ipad so I did.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:00 pm

No issues for me, iPad and iPhone...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:17 am

Gooner Girl wrote:well you lot are helpful, have been having the same problem on my phone too.
Did you try my 2 suggestions? :conf:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:12 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:Can't seem to access the site on my iPad very often - says the website is down for maintenance. Works fine on home pc.
Log out on it and log back in, see if that works.
i don't think she's able to get as far as the login page!
Oh well, that's the limits of my IT know-how exhausted then. :?
People have made full careers with that depth of knowledge, combined with "switch it off and on again". :-)

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:59 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Don't know how to on a phone/iPad? Bizarrely if I turn the wifi off on my phone the site works again but if I have it in it just takes me to a holding page.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:31 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Don't know how to on a phone/iPad? Bizarrely if I turn the wifi off on my phone the site works again but if I have it in it just takes me to a holding page.
Sounds much like a DNS issue. See here for some suggestions to try...

http://www.ipadastic.com/tutorials/how- ... n-the-ipad

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:21 am

I'm having the same problem with Firefox.

I have cleared the cache, cookies, history etc and am receiving the "The website is down for maintenance" error.

I have changed the website address but it keeps defaulting to:

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/holding.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The problem is annoying as it works sometimes but the vast majority of the day I get the above error. I am on Google Chrome at the moment and it is OK.

What am I doing wrong?
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:37 am

malcd1 wrote:I'm having the same problem with Firefox.

I have cleared the cache, cookies, history etc and am receiving the "The website is down for maintenance" error.

I have changed the website address but it keeps defaulting to:

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/holding.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The problem is annoying as it works sometimes but the vast majority of the day I get the above error. I am on Google Chrome at the moment and it is OK.

What am I doing wrong?
Worth trying to flush your DNS. It may or may not be the problem, but easy to do. Assuming you're on Windows...

Start button and in the search box immediately above and type CMD. Select it when it appears in the results above.

A black window opens. Type the following ipconfig /flushdns

Keeping the spaces etc exactly as above.

Open Firefox and give it a whirl whilst keeping fingers crossed.

If this doesn't work it might be worth navigating to your temporary internet files folder and manually deleting everything in there rather than doing it through the browser.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:43 am

Thanks for the suggestion AT but it hasn't worked. It appears to only be a problem on Firefox. Chrome appears to be unaffected. The same problem occurs on my desktop PC, my wife's laptop and the tablet when using Firefox.

Any other suggestions?
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:07 pm

malcd1 wrote:Thanks for the suggestion AT but it hasn't worked. It appears to only be a problem on Firefox. Chrome appears to be unaffected. The same problem occurs on my desktop PC, my wife's laptop and the tablet when using Firefox.

Any other suggestions?
Got to be some sort of caching problem. You could uninstall and then install again. Not ideal, but likely to fix it...

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:13 pm

malcd1 wrote:Thanks for the suggestion AT but it hasn't worked. It appears to only be a problem on Firefox. Chrome appears to be unaffected. The same problem occurs on my desktop PC, my wife's laptop and the tablet when using Firefox.

Any other suggestions?
I have Firefox and never a hint of a problem with the new server. It must be some local setting within Firefox at your end.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:51 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Any other suggestions?
I have Firefox and never a hint of a problem with the new server. It must be some local setting within Firefox at your end.
It has been doing it with both Firefox and Chrome tonight on the PC, laptop and tablet. Only just got on. This is really strange and very annoying.

Why am I seeing the "The website is down for maintenance" error when no one else is?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:02 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Any other suggestions?
It has been doing it with both Firefox and Chrome tonight on the PC, laptop and tablet. Only just got on. This is really strange and very annoying.

Why am I seeing the "The website is down for maintenance" error when no one else is?
I still am occasionally on ipad and phone. They've locked us out Malc, don't like us :(

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:02 pm

This is what I got when going back to home page or trying to see the forum by http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/boards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You see this page because there is no Web site at this address.
What you can do:
Create domains and set up Web hosting using Parallels Plesk Control Panel.

When I click on the "Home" button the above also appears, but when I click on the "Board Index" it seems to be okay. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:55 pm

Missed a day and a half due to the issues above, Firefox/The website is down for maintenance/You cannot see this page because there is no Web site at this address.

Changed browser and straight in with IE, disgusting I know!

Cleared so many caches felt like a bin man, not that it made any difference. Would appreciate any insight.