Missings posts

Tell us how to make the site a better place, and we'll pretend the idea was ours all along.....

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Missings posts

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:18 am

Not that I care very much but I have recently lost a few thousand posts in my post counts. Is this a general condition or have Canadians been singled out? :D
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Missings posts

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:42 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:18 am
Not that I care very much but I have recently lost a few thousand posts in my post counts. Is this a general condition or have Canadians been singled out? :D
Doubt it Monty. I seem to have lost 11,000 or so.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:01 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:42 am
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
DJ might have culled a few of the older more useless posts chaps :wink: Some of my drivel seems to be included :mrgreen:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:08 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:01 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
DJ might have culled a few of the older more useless posts chaps :wink: Some of my drivel seems to be included :mrgreen:
If they take another 3000 I will cease to be immortal and become a mere legend like you. :cry: :lol:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:57 pm

I have shifted around 7 years of stuff from the archive as the database was 1.6gb in size and the max allowed is 2.0gb with the host.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:52 am

DJBlu wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:57 pm
I have shifted around 7 years of stuff from the archive as the database was 1.6gb in size and the max allowed is 2.0gb with the host.
Figured as much. I forum I used to run had the same issue. We kept a small archive of the more legendary threads and the rest got wiped periodically :D

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:53 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:08 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:01 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
If they take another 3000 I will cease to be immortal and become a mere legend like you. :cry: :lol:
Legendary is much better anyway :mrgreen:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:59 pm

Mods - have any of you got access to the thing I wrote about going watching Chorley some years ago? I can't find it and didn't make a copy :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:24 pm

I have a copy of the database on my server at home. If you can give me the gist of it I'll PM the contents.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:41 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:24 pm
I have a copy of the database on my server at home. If you can give me the gist of it I'll PM the contents.

Oh blimey. Cheers mate. It was a report from when Chorley played a side from the other side of Leeds who turned up decked out as Brazil. I guess it'll have had a magpie reference somewhere in the title.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:40 pm

It'll be Garforth Town if that helps
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:24 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:40 pm
It was an' all. Good work, Spadger. :)

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:06 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:24 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:40 pm
It was an' all. Good work, Spadger. :)
This may take some time

Search "Bruce Rioja" (38893 hits in 12 files)

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:15 pm

Was it an article called "Tea and Chorley Cakes" ?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:19 pm

As requested Bruce Rioja. I think this is the one.

On The Nest

Chorley FC 4 : Garforth Town 1

I’ve always had something of a soft spot for The Magpies. No, not that lot: even though these days my burgeoning gut would do the Gallowgate End proud. Chorley F.C. I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s because I remember rejoicing, and oh how we rejoiced, back in 86 when they put Wolves out of the FA Cup in a 1st round replay played at Burnden. Or, perhaps more so, because they put Bury out of the very same competition at the same stage back in 1990.
As it goes, on Friday evening I was faced with that what-are-you-going-to-do-tomorrow-afternoon type dilemma. Wanderers have no game, so that’s that, and my Digibox has given up the ghost, so no Inspector Morse then and my options are narrowed down to: paint the front bedroom, go to the pub, or take in a local game. With Chorley Magpie having again advertised his side’s Unibond League game on here my mind was made up – I was M61 bound.

Prior to setting off I thought that it’d be prudent to do a little research and so checked out http://www.chorleyfc.com/ (\"http://www.chorleyfc.com/\") a very comprehensive website that contains information by the bucket load. Hey, I can even tell you that Chorley’s Matchday Treasurer is a guy called Brian Haslam, how about that? Just wait ‘til the next pub quiz. A further scout around for details and Oh No! What’s this? Disaster!!! Today’s game v Colwyn Bay is off due to a frozen pitch!! Whatever am I to do?
As it turned out I checked back on to CM’s post on here to learn that they were actually playing Garforth Town today and that the site was simply due an update. Colwyn Bay was last week. I should’ve known that really, silly me. So, this afternoon I find myself approaching the twin turnstiles at Victory Park, Chorley, or as it’s now called – The Chorley Nissan Victory Park Stadium. On the one side of the gate there is a sign requesting £7.00 and on the other side a sign requesting £3.50. Having opted for £3.50s worth (God knows what you get for £7.00? A quick hand shandy? I don’t know, perhaps CM will clarify) and I was in.

Victory Park: The last time that I was here I was actually playing. Oh no, don’t get me wrong, I was never one to scale the heady heights of semi-professional football, if only. No no, I played at the time for a side in the Chorley Leyland DAF Sunday league and we’d somehow made it through to the Cup Final, a game which was to be played on Chorley’s hallowed turf. It was the 25th May 1991. I remember it so well because it was also my first wedding anniversary and my then wife couldn’t believe that I wouldn’t give up playing in one ‘silly’ game of football on such a momentous occasion. Derr! Cup Final, woman? Chorley’s ground? Lots of people there? I tell you; from that moment on we were drowned before the boat had even sank. Anyway.

So there I am for Saturday’s game sponsored by ‘The Sunshine Gang’ (I have absolutely no idea) as the teams come out. Chorley looking splendid in their traditional Newcastle-esque black and white stripes, Garforth, a former mining community over on the far side of Leeds where the M1 meets the M62 the last time that I was there, enter the field decked out as Brazil. Blimey! When I think of Brazil, or indeed Brazilians, I think of something altogether different than a bunch of leviathans scratching their bollocks on a winter’s afternoon just south of Preston, that’s for sure. One thing that was obvious as the teams went through that very same pathetic ritual that they do in the league games whereby both sets of players line up alongside each other and then do that shaking hands thing, was that the Garforth side were massive.

Whenever I watch a semi-pro game there’s one thing always strikes me. That is that the players always show enough skill and composure to prove well enough as to why they play at a level that most of us never have done, do, or will do. They then counter that by displaying enough basic errors and rash decisions to show you why they fell short of taking the next step. Today’s display proved my notion correct, amply.

On the back of two wins and a draw, a confident Chorley set off like a house on fire with the young shaver out on the left, a chap called Roger Sharrock, looking for the entire world like a non-league Ronaldo, tearing Brazil’s right-back a new arsehole. It came as no surprise when after about five minutes or so he cut in from the left wing, into the box and curled an absolute beauty around the Goalkeeper and into the far side top corner for the opening goal. A few minutes later and Chorley had their second. A free-kick from the left wing getting slapped away by Rivi Blackrod’s finest, James Mullineux. Brazil, or more particularly Brazil’s manager, one of the most dapper looking gentlemen that I’ve ever seen, replaced their right-back soon after and young Mr Sharrock did little of note, by comparison, thereafter.

Half Time brought about the opportunity to check out the catering facilities. In one corner of the ground nestles the Magpies Nest Snack Bar. Oh man, they do a variety of pies, chips, peas, gravy, curry, chip barms, hot dogs, burgers, tea, coffee, sweets, crisps, pop. You can even sit inside if you like. Absolutely splendid, and everything priced as you would hope that it might be, and not priced to pin your ears back like somewhere else that I know. Half time also gave me the chance to have a wander (you can walk around the entire ground, nay bother) and take in the supporters. One thing that I really loved to see was that the Chorley fans and the Brazil fans behind either goal in the first half simply upped sticks (and flags in the case of Brazil) and switched ends. Magnificent! Also, on the bob hat count, I counted seven Wanderers hats to two ManU ones, one Rovers hat and one Preston one.

One thing that really struck me about Chorley’s following though is that by and large they’re getting on a bit and the club really does need to do some work in order that it attracts a younger interest. I really hope that it does that.

Brazil, who’d, spent most of half time doing exercises amongst cones, set off reasonably well in the second half and forced a goal when a simple ball forward saw one of Chorley’s centre backs make a bit of a fool of himself really. A ball so simple that a pub league player could’ve balanced it on his own nose like a seal, absolutely and inexplicably beat the lad all ends up allowing Brazil’s Captain Ginormous to run around him, swap feet and slot home. Immediately Chorley went down to the other end and, after forcing a good save out of Brazil’s keeper, grabbed their third with a header directly from the resulting corner.

Brazil to be fair never gave up and Peter Collinge in the Chorley goal had to pull off a veritable plethora of acrobatic saves as the game wore on. Then, with about ten minutes left and just as Brian Haslam was probably counting out the 2s and 1s, the game was put beyond doubt. Brazil’s keeper spilled a ball that you’d have thought that he might have played keepy-uppy with – substitute Nolan slotting home the loose ball.

All in all, my afternoon was one very well spent. I watched two decent sides going at it for 90 minutes in an environment that many Wanderers fans have forgotten, that some chose not to acknowledge, and that some simply don’t know about.
Chorley FC stands as absolute testament to those fine people that give up huge swathes of their own lives to make sure that it’s there for others. Those who are there so that you can get a cup of tea for no other reason than to make sure that everyone gets a cup of tea. The pitch at victory park in mid February put the old Burnden Park pitch to shame, they should have the Groundsman out onto the pitch at half time, not to stick his fork in it, just so that people can applaud him for the work that he does. To the woman walking round selling raffle tickets, I bought a strip, I don’t know what I could’ve won, I didn’t care as it didn’t matter.

Whoever it is that runs the website, whoever it is that sweeps up after everyone, these people are the true essence of the game. Not Chelsea’s, Man U’s or Liverpool’s owners, and certainly not Man City’s. It’s been 18 years since I was last at Victory Park. It’ll be nothing like that long before I’m there again!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:12 pm

DJBlu, I love you and I want to bear your children :)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:28 pm

Sorry mate, but is there a bit missing off of the bottom? :)

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:43 pm

Whoops, added.