Tired of chucking cookies

Tell us how to make the site a better place, and we'll pretend the idea was ours all along.....

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Tired of chucking cookies

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:13 am

Everytime I leave the front page for the second time to go anywhere on the site I get the hack message. I am told to delete the cookies for this site. I don't know how to do that so I have to delete all cookies which is a royal pain. Now I can avoid the front page and stick to the forums where there is no such problem - or can it be fixed?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:33 am

I am trying to sort this now, hopefully it should be sorted in 10 mins.

If you have any problems you'll know why.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:42 am

keveh wrote:I am trying to sort this now, hopefully it should be sorted in 10 mins.

If you have any problems you'll know why.
Too late - I already pmed you but it seems to have fixed itself now - thanks, keveh. Ignore pm.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:44 am

Hello, Monty. Me too. It's a strange situation.

This morning (my time) I popped into the main page - no problems. As I hadn't read the Arsenal preview (sorry) I read that. Then I attempted to read the match review - "Hack attempt". Urk. I then tried reading the article at the top of the archives with the same result. Zapped the cookies, shut down my browser and came back in; logged on. Then tried to access the forum (through the link and via my bookmark/favourites) - "Hack attempt". Zapped cookies again.

Logged back in and came straight to the forum - all is fine.

Perhaps keveh could advise exactly what cookies (by name) are deposited on our computers? It is possible that I'm missing one somewhere, though I have had no problems for the previous few days.

I am certainly not going to delete all my cookies as some of them are important to me.

Any advice, keveh?

Hmm, now I've got a message at the top of my screen (on preview) advising me that I need phpBBStyles' latest version. I'll download that and see what happens.

Darn it, the message has disappeared. I'll try another preview and see if it comes back.

No. Perhaps keveh's fix has done the job.

Back shortly.

*edit*

Seems to be working properly now. Thanks, keveh, if it was you who sorted it.
Last edited by Dujon on Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:47 am

Keveh...had I seen this thread, do you really think I would have made my own? :crazy:
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:54 am

Hoolio wrote:Keveh...had I seen this thread, do you really think I would have made my own? :crazy:
No, so learn to read before you do.

It's not exactly the busiest forum to keep up with.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:52 am

keveh wrote:
Hoolio wrote:Keveh...had I seen this thread, do you really think I would have made my own? :crazy:
No, so learn to read before you do.

It's not exactly the busiest forum to keep up with.
test

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:05 am

Hi Dujon:

Yes, keveh fixed the odd gibberish, etc. I haven't dared check if the front page problem is fixed - but I expect so. Upgrading software is never simple and often leaves residual problems to be sorted one by one.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:10 am

Quoting wont work now.

I give up for now, it's 2am

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:12 am

Quoting wont work now.

Oh - well at least I can navigate to the front page and back without chucking cookies. :wink:

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:14 am

hmmm, it works without the ="keveh" part

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:30 am

hmmm, it works without the ="keveh" part
The last time ( a few days ago) when it went funny during the upgrade, the quotes also went weird. It kept changing 'quote="keveh" ' to 'quote ="/keveh/" ' - (i.e. adding two gratuitous slashes). I could only make it work then by removing the = "keveh". Related bug? :?

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:53 am

keveh wrote:Quoting wont work now.

Ahh, the old "change the PC clock to make everyone think you're busy working through the night" trick. I'm not falling for that one again. :wink2:
Businesswoman of the year.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:13 am

CrazyHorse wrote:
keveh wrote:Quoting wont work now.

Ahh, the old "change the PC clock to make everyone think you're busy working through the night" trick. I'm not falling for that one again. :wink2:
test

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: Tired of chucking cookies

Post by Mar » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:18 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Everytime I leave the front page for the second time to go anywhere on the site I get the hack message. I am told to delete the cookies for this site. I don't know how to do that so I have to delete all cookies which is a royal pain. Now I can avoid the front page and stick to the forums where there is no such problem - or can it be fixed?
I don't see what you're complaining about. You're going to get less problems with your computer if you regularly clean up the rubbish that is left on your computer by internet sites. http://www.ccleaner.com is a good program to use for it and for what, you have to log in every so often. Hardly that bad now is it.

Cookies on my computer are removed around twice a day probably more depending on how much i'm using the computer and i'm getting less problems as a result of it. I recommend clearing them more often to be honest.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:22 pm

Mar wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:Everytime I leave the front page for the second time to go anywhere on the site I get the hack message. I am told to delete the cookies for this site. I don't know how to do that so I have to delete all cookies which is a royal pain. Now I can avoid the front page and stick to the forums where there is no such problem - or can it be fixed?
I don't see what you're complaining about. You're going to get less problems with your computer if you regularly clean up the rubbish that is left on your computer by internet sites. http://www.ccleaner.com is a good program to use for it and for what, you have to log in every so often. Hardly that bad now is it.

Cookies on my computer are removed around twice a day probably more depending on how much i'm using the computer and i'm getting less problems as a result of it. I recommend clearing them more often to be honest.
Well, Mar, the problem wasn't with my computer. There are cookies that I want to keep so, for example, I automatically login to TW. I was just reporting a situation to keveh - it has now been fixed. I have no complaints. :D

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:57 pm

Mar wrote:Cookies on my computer are removed around twice a day probably more depending on how much i'm using the computer and i'm getting less problems as a result of it. I recommend clearing them more often to be honest.

I overcome that problem by controlling which cookies I keep permanently, which for a session and those to always be denied. It saves cleaning up all the time.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:43 pm

Dujon wrote:
Mar wrote:Cookies on my computer are removed around twice a day probably more depending on how much i'm using the computer and i'm getting less problems as a result of it. I recommend clearing them more often to be honest.

I overcome that problem by controlling which cookies I keep permanently, which for a session and those to always be denied. It saves cleaning up all the time.
:oops: Actually I don't know how to do that...

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:41 am

What's a cookie?
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:17 am