Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:10 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:46 pm
Crowd at England v Germany Women's football tonight,77,700 plus. Just mentioning.
I'm reading this wonderful book just now, entitled 'I Think You'll Find It's a Bit More Complicated Than That'.

So, shall we break this marvellous 77,700 figure down into paying categories then? :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:47 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:10 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Crowd at England v Germany Women's football tonight,77,700 plus. Just mentioning.
I'm reading this wonderful book just now, entitled 'I Think You'll Find It's a Bit More Complicated Than That'.

So, shall we break this marvellous 77,700 figure down into paying categories then? :D
Whatever you wish. I watched the game on T.V. I was just surprised at such an attendance, nothing more.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:44 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Was also billed as a "sell out" which even by the most generous of definitions of "sell" it quite plainly isn't.

Mr Goldacre? If you haven't read his Bad Science I'd heartily recommend it. Top 5 in my pop science books. But more importantly on the theme of doctors turned authors you absolutely have to, have to read This Is Going To Hurt by Adam Kay.

The funniest book I have ever read, hands down, by a million miles. I'll personally pay you £50 if you don't love it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:21 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:44 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Was also billed as a "sell out" which even by the most generous of definitions of "sell" it quite plainly isn't.

Mr Goldacre? If you haven't read his Bad Science I'd heartily recommend it. Top 5 in my pop science books. But more importantly on the theme of doctors turned authors you absolutely have to, have to read This Is Going To Hurt by Adam Kay.

The funniest book I have ever read, hands down, by a million miles. I'll personally pay you £50 if you don't love it.

I was speaking to a Man City fan last night. He mentioned that all season ticket holders could watch the Man City v Man U womens match for free back in September. The attendance for that game was 31,000. Pretty good but how many paid?

Man City have an average crowd of 9,092 yet Everton (Bottom of the 'Super League') only 565. Tickets for Man City women are between £6.50 and £8.50 per game but there does not appear to be any public record of how many are actually paying.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:04 pm

Fascinating to be alive in the time when we took the world's best game and decided to ruin it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:04 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:44 am

Mr Goldacre? If you haven't read his Bad Science I'd heartily recommend it. Top 5 in my pop science books.
Indeed. He does seem to be coming across a little like Martin Lewis though, viz, knows his stuff but can put it across in a very patronising manner. Will definitely check out Bad Science though.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:42 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:47 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Whatever you wish. I watched the game on T.V. I was just surprised at such an attendance, nothing more.
It’s nice to see the women’s game get such interest Tango, regardless of how much or not people pay.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:13 pm

I'd be happy to pay double to watch this cake and arse party :D