Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 28161
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 16, 2021 4:46 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 4:25 pm
[tweet]https://twitter.com/goddardinho/status/ ... 17665?s=21[/tweet]

I don’t know if this will work (probably not), as I’m useless at this sort of thing, but this is fecking glorious! 😂
There was also a video Pre match of two overweight gobshite Chelsea fans and their kids staging a protest against taking the knee and Black Lives Matter.

‘Black lives is racist innit’.

Yeah not sad they lost. Hope they miss out on the top 4 too.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 21051
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Prufrock » Sun May 16, 2021 5:44 pm

That is wonderful :lol:

I'd get rid, but moments like that give me pause.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25298
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 16, 2021 6:27 pm

Brilliant. :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36899
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun May 16, 2021 11:24 pm

Assuming Leicester stay in the top four, does their FA Cup win create another European place for someone?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 21051
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Prufrock » Mon May 17, 2021 12:24 am

Will do no matter what as long as they stay in the top five. Top 4 CL plus 5th gets Europa League, as do the FA cup winners, and the League Cup winners go into this new UEFA conference league. If the cup winner qualifies for Europe through the league their "cup" spot goes to the league. So 6th will get Leicester's Europa League spot, and 7th City's conference league spot.

(They got rid of the rule where the FA cup runner up got the Europa League spot (so Watford didn't get city's a couple of years ago when they previously would). That's never (I don't think) been the rule for the league cup.)
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36899
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 17, 2021 7:07 am

Cheers for that!
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 28161
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 17, 2021 11:37 am

God I hope Leicester deprive one of Chelsea or Liverpool a CL spot but fear they may not now. Really annoying that these clubs are not sanctioned for their ESL breakaway attempt - was hoping the football gods would see to that but no...be best if it was Liverpool missing out given their rather bleak financial position.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7941
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon May 17, 2021 3:28 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:24 am
Will do no matter what as long as they stay in the top five. Top 4 CL plus 5th gets Europa League, as do the FA cup winners, and the League Cup winners go into this new UEFA conference league. If the cup winner qualifies for Europe through the league their "cup" spot goes to the league. So 6th will get Leicester's Europa League spot, and 7th City's conference league spot.

(They got rid of the rule where the FA cup runner up got the Europa League spot (so Watford didn't get city's a couple of years ago when they previously would). That's never (I don't think) been the rule for the league cup.)
This conference league. Is it like the old cup winners cup then, in so much as its a lesser trophy than the already dumbed down Uefa Cup? I hope it's introduction has done away with CL failures dropping into the Uefa cup competition.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 13073
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:27 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by boltonboris » Mon May 17, 2021 4:32 pm

(Last nights) - What a frickin header by the Liverpool Keeper! Absolutely special moment, regardless of how little I think of them

Tonight.... The Playoffs. Would have hated being in them, but love watching them!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 28161
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 17, 2021 4:44 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 4:32 pm
(Last nights) - What a frickin header by the Liverpool Keeper! Absolutely special moment, regardless of how little I think of them

Tonight.... The Playoffs. Would have hated being in them, but love watching them!
Watching the playoffs is always a highlight but especially so when you're already promoted. So really looking forward to this week. Rooting for the underdogs, so Barnsley, Lincoln and FFR. Means probably none of them will win it.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7927
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon May 17, 2021 5:02 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:28 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:24 am
Will do no matter what as long as they stay in the top five. Top 4 CL plus 5th gets Europa League, as do the FA cup winners, and the League Cup winners go into this new UEFA conference league. If the cup winner qualifies for Europe through the league their "cup" spot goes to the league. So 6th will get Leicester's Europa League spot, and 7th City's conference league spot.

(They got rid of the rule where the FA cup runner up got the Europa League spot (so Watford didn't get city's a couple of years ago when they previously would). That's never (I don't think) been the rule for the league cup.)
This conference league. Is it like the old cup winners cup then, in so much as its a lesser trophy than the already dumbed down Uefa Cup? I hope it's introduction has done away with CL failures dropping into the Uefa cup competition.
Don’t diss the ECWC! One of my happiest ever Arsenal supporting nights that was! (And worst the next year :cry: )

Not sure I fancy this meaningless conference league tbh! Not that we will finish that high to qualify anyway! :roll:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 21051
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Prufrock » Mon May 17, 2021 8:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 4:44 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 4:32 pm
(Last nights) - What a frickin header by the Liverpool Keeper! Absolutely special moment, regardless of how little I think of them

Tonight.... The Playoffs. Would have hated being in them, but love watching them!
Watching the playoffs is always a highlight but especially so when you're already promoted. So really looking forward to this week. Rooting for the underdogs, so Barnsley, Lincoln and FFR. Means probably none of them will win it.
Love them. Don't care who goes up in the Champo as long as it's not Bournemouth. Brentford looked v good in defeat, an all time horror miss. I'd be happy with them or Barnsley, wouldn't mind Swansea.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 28161
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 17, 2021 8:45 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:01 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 4:44 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 4:32 pm
(Last nights) - What a frickin header by the Liverpool Keeper! Absolutely special moment, regardless of how little I think of them

Tonight.... The Playoffs. Would have hated being in them, but love watching them!
Watching the playoffs is always a highlight but especially so when you're already promoted. So really looking forward to this week. Rooting for the underdogs, so Barnsley, Lincoln and FFR. Means probably none of them will win it.
Love them. Don't care who goes up in the Champo as long as it's not Bournemouth. Brentford looked v good in defeat, an all time horror miss. I'd be happy with them or Barnsley, wouldn't mind Swansea.
It really wouldn’t surprise me if Bournemouth went through. I thought looking at today the way they play 1-0 suits them if they defend well for first half and hit on the break. Brentford clearly the more composed side but depends how patient and calm they stay second leg.

Watching Barnsley v Swansea is hilarious. Swansea, Brentford and Bournemouth all relatively cultured sides - Barnsley like some 90’s throw back, all 90mph and running into the opponents with 11 absolute brick shithouses. It’s sort of refreshing except on this showing they aren’t even very good at it. Scratching my head how they finished 5th!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 21051
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Prufrock » Mon May 17, 2021 9:09 pm

Yeah, I'd assumed after their own moneyball takeover and doing well they they'd be like Brentford but yeah, more like actual moneyball ignoring everything and just... running more? They don't look very good.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 28161
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 17, 2021 10:08 pm

Was like a premiership side vs league one FA Cup 3rd round that. Barnsley huffed and puffed but did not have any quality. Swansea defended well and produced one good moment. Barnsley very frustrating to watch as they play at such speed but aren’t actually good enough to do so.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 13073
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:27 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by boltonboris » Tue May 18, 2021 9:41 am

1st time I've seen Barnsley.. They literally don't pass the ball! 3 players in space? Nah, tw*t it in the mixer, smash it down the channels..

I haven't seen their pass completion, but I'd be surprised if t was higher than 40%

A very physical, but entertaining game. Sky made that out to be plucky little Barnsley, despite them being possibly the best supported club in the Champo playoffs. If they go up, they'll soon turn on them for the way they play.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 28161
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 18, 2021 9:47 am

boltonboris wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:41 am
1st time I've seen Barnsley.. They literally don't pass the ball! 3 players in space? Nah, tw*t it in the mixer, smash it down the channels..

I haven't seen their pass completion, but I'd be surprised if t was higher than 40%

A very physical, but entertaining game. Sky made that out to be plucky little Barnsley, despite them being possibly the best supported club in the Champo playoffs. If they go up, they'll soon turn on them for the way they play.
In fairness I think Barnsley's wage bill is £12M. Bottom 3 championship level. The 3 others will be several multiples of that. So their achievement is immense just to be there. It was sort of hard on last night's evidence to understand how though. I get they are a certain type of side and frankly I'd enjoy that if they were any good at it. But they weren't.

Their American striker Dike, though inspite of being raw and young is the sort we need to go with Doyle next season, physical, big but also a willing and capable runner. Real handful. But rubbish. Irrespective you will win games in league one with that sort of a player at times.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 39049
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 18, 2021 6:30 pm

Blackpool already 2 up after half an hour.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 39049
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 18, 2021 7:56 pm

Looking bad for Oxford next leg. 3 - 0 down.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 28161
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 18, 2021 8:53 pm

Werner handballs one into net. VAR overturns it for clear as day handball. Chelsea fans irate at VAR sing ‘it’s not football anymore’. Wonder if they will see the irony? Doubt it.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests