Your England XI

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Your England XI

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:00 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:08 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:54 pm

Wouldn’t rate it that highly but definitely agree on Phillips. Was superb. Looked right up for it he did.
Fair enough. My pre-match thoughts were though that this midfield has to first and foremost contain Modric, to then be able go on to play. That's exactly why I agree wholeheartedly with us not having played Grealish the show pony, who earns more through his cheating than through his actual contribution.

Also, for all this talk about playing Trippier at LB, I just took it from that that those who're paid to do their homework on this sort of thing will have sussed that Croatia have a player on their right who likes to cut in onto his left. Whether that's the case or not I'm not sure, but I certainly didn't see any threat down that side which exposed Trippier.
Not a huge Grealish fan myself but I think his role was a bit missed today. We won though and it’s a massive win. Had a few too many now but definitely channeling the spirit of 96 here…it’s coming home and all that…

Kane wasn’t great today and we still won.
I'm in the same boat with Grealish - how many times would he be in a much better place than the free-kick he's milked, if only he stayed stood up...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:23 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:26 pm
He played Trippier so he could step inside and find Sterling's out-to-in runs. It didn't work, because Modric figured out early what was going on there and it was easy for him to stop. I assume we will play different set ups against different sides.
He played him for set pieces and aggressive defending. Not having it, it was an attacking tactical decision

It was important to play 2 def mids with him there, as he's always going to look for a short square pass inside and Rice and Phillips were excellent. Rice screened everything and killed any space for them. Phillips was a blockbuster old skool box to box performance. 10/10 from him
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:50 pm

Agree 100% with that. Set pieces and 1v1 defending is why Trippier played.

I *suspect* he'll drop Walker for one of Shaw or Chilwell on Friday, otherwise unchanged. I think he'd have planned to drop Phillips for that but won't now.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:10 pm

I think he'll keep the back 4 personally. Against Scotland there'll be a lot of passion, pressing and aggression, so the most experienced side he can play, he'll play, despite them being absolutely all over every inside pass that Trips plays (hope I'm wrong though, as I really don't like it)

Expect the only change will be Rashford for Foden, personally

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:11 pm

Trippier's international experience, his defending and his set pieces will all have played a part in his inclusion. I think if you watch the patterns Trippier triggered then there's more to it than that. Southgate's entire game plan vs Croatia was to shut down the midfield and open up space for runners in behind Vrsaljko and Vida. In order to shut down that midfield Southgate had to put inexperienced players in (Rice and Phillips) due to Henderson's injury and was then forced to put another in for Maguire. So Trippier's experience became vital for Southgate, no question. However, if Trippier wasn't the player most suited to Southgate's plan he doesn't play. If one of the natural left backs offered Southgate more in getting us direct up to Sterling then they start.

Early attacking patterns were triggered by Trippier, until Croatia shut him down inside. In the second half you'll note that Foden repeatedly fell off from his position on the right to try and drag Modric back. It didn't work, because the Croats adapted to that and he gave it up after 10-15 minutes.

That shifting across of the Croatian midfield is why Phillips was able to play as well as he did, which I don't think Southgate could reasonably have expected. If Phillips doesn't play that well we don't win. If that plan was "Trippier will be solid and Phillips will look world class" then that was a bad plan.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:16 pm

Nobody said that was his plan. But I'm not having it he played Trippier at LB to suit Sterling. Sterling's game when teams sit deep against us is all about coming inside and he needs width on the overlap for that, which he never got. If it's for passes inside the FB/CB then the best person we have for that was Mount, not a Right back playing left back

I think you're reading too much into it

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:22 pm

So, if we have four right backs, who are we saying should get the job of keeping Robertson quiet on Friday? Which is surely key.
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:26 pm

The obvious one for me is Trippier. He's the best defensively.

But to be honest, I don't think Robertson is all that. He's busy and aggressive, but I wouldn't be too worried about him going forward

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:27 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:16 pm
Nobody said that was his plan. But I'm not having it he played Trippier at LB to suit Sterling. Sterling's game when teams sit deep against us is all about coming inside and he needs width on the overlap for that, which he never got. If it's for passes inside the FB/CB then the best person we have for that was Mount, not a Right back playing left back

I think you're reading too much into it
Okay.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:28 pm

I think he's been by far the best player on the pitch in this game, and IMO is world class. But he's a left back. And their forwards couldn't score in a brothel.

Trippier as the best defender is what I'd do. He might decide Walker's pace is the answer.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:30 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:26 pm

But to be honest, I don't think Robertson is all that. He's busy and aggressive, but I wouldn't be too worried about him going forward
Fair enough. I have him down as being far and away their main chance of creating anything. That said, they really are shit up top.

I'd move Trippier back to RB too btw.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:18 pm

:|
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:30 pm
boltonboris wrote:

Fair enough. I have him down as being far and away their main chance of creating anything. That said, they really are shit up top.

I'd move Trippier back to RB too btw.
As would I. Chilwell at LB for me. I don’t think Walker had his best game.

Noticed the media asking what was up with Kane so wasn’t just me who thought he struggled. Lacked sharpness for me.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:18 pm

Noticed the media asking what was up with Kane so wasn’t just me who thought he struggled. Lacked sharpness for me.
Interesting. Maybe I afforded the Croatian defenders too much credit?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:31 pm

boltonboris wrote:

Trippier at RB to counter the threat of Robertson seems to make sense, especially as we have two great options for the left with less of an attacking threat to worry about from Scotland.

I hope we see the fresh legs of Sancho, Grealish, Saka, James, DCL et al at some point on Friday to really take the game to Scotland. The team selection on Sunday was very Mourinho-esque in that it was set-up specifically to nullify Croatia, but we can afford to be more aggressive against the jocks.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:49 pm

I think your "at some point" is crucial there. They will be *bang* up for it and it will be 1000mph for the first half hour at least. Rice and Philips will both play, as I suspect will Mount.

Only changes I think he might make are Chilwell/Shaw for Walker (but take Boris's point about experience and he might stick with it) and possibly Rashford for Foden as the space will be in behind the wing backs. Personally think the first slightly more likely than the second but neither would surprise me.

He'll be looking to win then make 11 changes for the Czechs

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:32 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:49 pm
I think your "at some point" is crucial there. They will be *bang* up for it and it will be 1000mph for the first half hour at least. Rice and Philips will both play, as I suspect will Mount.

Only changes I think he might make are Chilwell/Shaw for Walker (but take Boris's point about experience and he might stick with it) and possibly Rashford for Foden as the space will be in behind the wing backs. Personally think the first slightly more likely than the second but neither would surprise me.

He'll be looking to win then make 11 changes for the Czechs
Rashford and Sterling? Ugh. I’d play Grealish for Mount as I think it’s the sort of game Grealish would do well in.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:00 pm

Yep. I love Mount, I think he's superb, but to relieve some pressure, slow the game down and create things Grealish has to play. Ball carrier, creative and more importantly a prolific freekick winner

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:06 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:00 pm
Yep. I love Mount, I think he's superb, but to relieve some pressure, slow the game down and create things Grealish has to play. Ball carrier, creative and more importantly a prolific freekick winner
My reasoning is that Scotland likely will try and be compact and what hurts that is a player who runs at you. Sterling stretches teams and I doubt Scotland will allow that in same way Croatia did. Foden needs someone to play with as he's not a winger really and Grealish in the middle would offer that whilst also running at them.

I like Mount but I don't think that's his best role I think he's more suited to playing from a deeper starting point.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:08 pm

I don't think he will though, at least not from the start.

Though no-one predicted the team for the last game, tbf.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:38 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:08 pm
I don't think he will though, at least not from the start.

Though no-one predicted the team for the last game, tbf.
I pretty much did... :wink: