Pies in administration

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Pies in administration

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:28 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:11 am
https://t.co/ZQAzG7F4hh

Missed a payday for the second time…only by a day.
Oh I do hope it's nothing trivial. :mrgreen:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:49 pm

I wish no ill on any team, (only the grabbing agents and bad elements who are always the ones pocketing the profits) ,)but that's the kindness of old age. Ah well, que sera and the sun also rises... :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:42 pm

Wonder if this could move the Fossey situation back in our favour?
Presumably reassurances are now being sought?
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:12 pm

Failed to pay their players, again. This super rich Arab that’s bought them, the fake sheikh?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:49 pm

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64337724.amp

Definite whiff about the fake sheikh

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:49 am

Failed to pay their players again.

Subscribers to their small business partnerships claiming they've paid money for benefits they've never received.

"Believe" fund subscribers not knowing where their monthly payments are going.

Owners reportedly uncontactable for the past two weeks.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:17 pm

Temporary liquidity issues...e.g. we've got no fcuking money

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:27 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:17 pm
Temporary liquidity issues...e.g. we've got no fcuking money
Did make me laugh with Wigan fans saying ‘Don’t know what liquidity issues mean but they will sort it…’

Been there done that. Won’t end well.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:20 pm

If the accounts are empty and the owner is missing I'm not sure how anyone thinks it's going to be okay.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:44 pm

Their chairman has tweeted some PR blather, in which is a promise that all the issue will be sorted next week.

I genuinely hope that is the case. I know a few want them to go through what we did, because of how their lot bathed in our pain; but these are real people not being paid and a community asset that could be lost. They're due a 3 point deduction, if it gets worse for them it'll be 12. If they think they're broke now, wait until they get relegated.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:00 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:44 pm
Their chairman has tweeted some PR blather, in which is a promise that all the issue will be sorted next week.

I genuinely hope that is the case. I know a few want them to go through what we did, because of how their lot bathed in our pain; but these are real people not being paid and a community asset that could be lost. They're due a 3 point deduction, if it gets worse for them it'll be 12. If they think they're broke now, wait until they get relegated.
I think on previous recent occasions they've sorted it fairly sharpish? But you are left wondering, every time it happens...

Nearly £8m loss from "promotion year," £13m wage bill and average crowd of just over 10,000...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:16 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:00 am
I think on previous recent occasions they've sorted it fairly sharpish? But you are left wondering, every time it happens...

Nearly £8m loss from "promotion year," £13m wage bill and average crowd of just over 10,000...
Like I said to someone on here a few weeks back, they are paying one of their centre halves more than we're reportedly paying every centre back we have on our books combined. They've thrown silly money at a couple of players, neither of whom started against Burnley.

If I were a Wigan fan I'd mostly be concerned about the aspects of the business that look like fraud. Those Patreon-style monthly sub programs where hardly any of the promised benefits are delivered are a lawyer's dream. The fact they've reportedly delayed season ticket sales to avoid accruing new creditors is also worrying.

As you say, in the past they've sorted it out; but the fact it keeps happening tells you something is rotten.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:09 am

The season ticket thing smacks of admin, for sure..why tie it up in a smoking wreck, when you can make a clean break and put that cash into the shiny new Club, should one emerge...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:27 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:09 am
The season ticket thing smacks of admin, for sure..why tie it up in a smoking wreck, when you can make a clean break and put that cash into the shiny new Club, should one emerge...
Certainly the case is the board have been trying to sort out finance for a takeover, as was reported a while ago.

I could also imagine the owner has withheld money in response that move. "Why am I putting cash in when they're avoiding selling tickets?" doesn't seem an unreasonable position.

Impossible to know.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:21 pm

I'd not normally wish what we went through on anyone but I can make an exception for that lot. We've lost potential supporters and players to them over the years and it's been particularly galling that they've been largely better than us these last 10 years.

I'm hoping they'll be liquidated, some phoenix club can start up in the NW counties and Southport rightfully reinstated to the place that was robbed from them in 1978.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:27 pm

I see Nixon claiming that Wigan's owners need to sell an 'asset' to raise the money to pay the wages for the remainder of the season. Its not clear whether he is referring to a Wigan asset or one of their owners other assets...indeed it appears he doesn't know.

Brief look on twitter and first thing I see is 'well this is a good thing as our owners are clearly committed'......who is going to break it to them?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:27 pm
I see Nixon claiming that Wigan's owners need to sell an 'asset' to raise the money to pay the wages for the remainder of the season. Its not clear whether he is referring to a Wigan asset or one of their owners other assets...indeed it appears he doesn't know.

Brief look on twitter and first thing I see is 'well this is a good thing as our owners are clearly committed'......who is going to break it to them?
Do they still own their stadium?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:09 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:51 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:27 pm

Do they still own their stadium?
I think so - in the story Nixon suggests the stadium 'can be sold but only to another sporting group'. Not sure why. Assuming that's true then I can't see it being that since they are needing to raise 5-6M and Wigan Warriors wouldn't have that sort of cash. Indeed I'm not convinced anyone would buy the stadium because its not really multi purpose or high value outside of sporting clubs who play there....

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:19 pm

So they need to sell the stadium (somehow), training ground (if they own one!) player contracts (outside of a window)

They're screwed

Whilst I feel for their day to day staff on lower wages, I am still in the 'fvck em' camp
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:24 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:19 pm
So they need to sell the stadium (somehow), training ground (if they own one!) player contracts (outside of a window)

They're screwed

Whilst I feel for their day to day staff on lower wages, I am still in the 'fvck em' camp
Seems that way. I mean maybe their owners are about to sell a bunch of property or other business assets separate to Wigan to fund the club through the next 6 months...hmmm..maybe...

But yeah I don't get the whole competitive thing - Wigan are and always will be a completely irrelevant non entity...but I have sympathy for the staff there. The Bolton doctor who helped save Muamba is there isn't he? These people deserve better.

The fact remains though that they overspent last year and now can't pay their bills. And the EFL once again prove entirely incompetent.