Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by bw@bw » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:45 pm

Don’t underestimate the influence of the coach.
She can match almost anyone
Heard a fascinating (15 minute?) interview last week with the guy who coached Wiegman, and Lucy Bronze, and Alessia Russo at University of North Carolina, Anson Dorrance. Never heard of him before, but he has been in charge for 45 years – and has won their championship 27 times, and developed nearly half of the US women’s team of serial world Cup winners in that time.
It is also on the Daily Euros podcast
Now that man knows how to develop winners – and it is no accident’
But Dorrance said that Sarina had the winning mentality from day 1
I see now that the Mail has also done a piece about him. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... males.html
Most interesting sports interview I have heard in ages.
What goes around may still come around

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:54 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:42 pm
You can't compare Arsenal's to Man City either...Last 5 years results...3-1, 3-0, 3-0, 2-0, 3-1, 3-0, 3-0, 0-2, 1-0, 4-1, 1-0, 5-0, 2-1 🤣🤣🤣
Can’t believe you went to the effort of googling that. :roll: :D beat them in the Fa Cup semi final on my 40th birthday though 8)

What I’m trying to say is, for all the men I see (tbf not a lot on here) who are snooty about womens football because it’s ‘not as good as mens’ - a team doesn’t have to be the best at football for you to be able to get behind and support them and for them to give you that massive footballing buzz when they win. I think a sell out Wembley crowd tonight and millions watching on tv show that there is that interest there, hopefully this will carry on building into the WSL etc and inspire a future generation of girls into the sport which can only be a good thing surely?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:05 pm

I'm all for it being supported. If it wasn't on telly (and even then probably only important England games), I wouldn't bother...but nor do I bother with Bolton away, unless I catch it on iFollow or Bolton U23's...Just not that interested. But I would say, if <insert your team here> wasn't a lifetime pick (and an obligation), City v Liverpool was a better watch than Ipswich v Bolton, yesterday. Given a pick, I'd rather watch Campo than MJ :-)

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:25 pm

I'm delighted we've won it.

It had the familiar, ominous feel going deep into the second half and the first half of extra time but then just as fatigue looked as if it was setting in we suddenly managed to swing the momentum in our favour. Practically all of the football in the second half of extra time was played in their half.

The sheer joy of so many young supporters in the stands was great to see. I'm so very pleased for the players and coaching staff.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:48 pm

I enjoyed it. Well done lasses!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:48 pm

There's undoubtedly interest in the national side, particularly when they're performing well. The real test will be the WSL(?) and whether that interest will transfer to league games with decent crowds paying admission prices that will sustain it in its own right.

This group of players have potentially left a great legacy to build on.

There's quite a few pretty ones too :wink:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:33 pm

Well done girls. :oyea:

(p.s. What did I say about Jill Scott?)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:20 pm

Enjoyed the game, well done England they deserved it, the ref wasn't too clever and the Germans liked their nudges in the back.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:23 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:20 pm
Enjoyed the game, well done England they deserved it, the ref wasn't too clever and the Germans liked their nudges in the back.
Blatant thuggery at times. I wasn't at all impressed with the ref last night, more tickets than a Town Hall traffic warden, most for feather touches or got the ball. Not the epitome of sportsmanship those German ladies..I can understand their disappointment at losing, but if looks could kill.. :lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:54 pm

I thought the game was played in relatively good spirits but the referee was just a bit erratic and that meant things got out of control more than was necessary.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:17 pm

Seeing how well Sarina Wiegman's done with the women's side has had me wondering today how far we are away from seeing a Cherie Lunghi style Manageress in the bloke's game?
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:04 pm

Loved the whole thing as the girls got their just reward for their hard work. It was their occasion and I confess to being a bit fed up of hearing Ian Wright band-waggon drum beating about what women's foot ball needs. Preach to the converted Ian,time and place for everything You don't evaluate the presents on your wedding day. Talk about the match.

( sorry about that, but I'm not a big Ian Wright fan. Let the girls have their time and celebrate) :pray:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:29 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:54 pm
I thought the game was played in relatively good spirits but the referee was just a bit erratic and that meant things got out of control more than was necessary.
Her record and the way she has transformed this team, means in my opinion, she should get an opportunity in the mens game. However, she would have to 'prove herself' (like she hasn't already!) by taking an enormous step back in stature and money by taking on Leyton Orient or somesuch
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:52 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:29 am

Her record and the way she has transformed this team, means in my opinion, she should get an opportunity in the mens game. However, she would have to 'prove herself' (like she hasn't already!) by taking an enormous step back in stature and money by taking on Leyton Orient or somesuch
See, this is what I think is pretty unfair. She would have to prove herself but shouldn’t have to. She’s presumably got her UEFA A licence which is exactly the same as men have to do, and so will have worked with a variety of sexes/abilities etc to do that. You can argue that women footballers won’t ever be as good as men because of the difference in physicality but I can’t see any reason why they wouldn’t be as good at managing a team? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:30 pm

Emma Hayes is supposed to have turned down the Millwall job.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:03 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:30 pm
Emma Hayes is supposed to have turned down the Millwall job.
Can you blame her?!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:51 am

I don’t like the old cringey signing announcement stuff on twitter. Normally.

But Burnley have done this and I don’t think it can be topped and not should anyone try.

https://twitter.com/burnleyofficial/sta ... HxgB2gDfKQ

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:09 pm

Coventry v Rotherham. Postponed because the pitch is a shit show after hosting Commonwealth events. But. Apparently the ref said he wouldn't have played a L2 game on it, let alone a Championship game. Obviously, not the same resources in L2 so you expect more rain damage/frost call offs etc, but surely the players should expect the same basic standard?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:22 pm

It'll still be like a fecking bowling green compared to what the rest of us have played on. Tossers. 70's Baseball Ground etc. 😁
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:22 pm
It'll still be like a fecking bowling green compared to what the rest of us have played on. Tossers. 70's Baseball Ground etc. 😁
V Zenit St Petersburg at Bolton Reebok 2006 :lol:
Attachments
zenit.jpg
zenit.jpg (47.96 KiB) Viewed 691 times