Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:06 pm

United 4 down at Brentford after 35 mins! 😂

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:07 pm

Hahaahahahaha this is amazing
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:41 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:07 pm
Hahaahahahaha this is amazing
Football scandal in the papers tomorrow. Some Brentford players have been spotted drunk in China Whites at 18:30 on a Saturday...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:16 pm

OK, one of you's going to have re to explain whatever the feck it is that Bob Marley was on about.

My abiding memory of his will always be this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs8MM3G__LI
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:14 am

Man Utd are hilarious but I said when Ferguson left they would have this problem. Fergie ran that club from top to bottom. An amazing feat but he did something for so long and had absolute unquestionable respect.

But you couldn’t replace him. The club needed a complete restructure.

But instead they just tried and failed to find someone who could do what Ferguson did in an era where every other club is moving on to different structures.

They’ve still not changed and fall further and further behind.

It’s like us with Big Sam. Nobody could ever manage like he did and apart from Parky who did a reasonable job at a lower level nobody came close. It wasn’t until FV restructured, and even that had a couple of false dawns before we started to look more like a modern football club.

Man Utd can appoint any manager they want and they will fail. They need a complete top down restructure and an entirely new squad recruiting. Yet every summer they delude themselves that manager X can fix it. They can’t.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:14 am
Man Utd are hilarious but I said when Ferguson left they would have this problem. Fergie ran that club from top to bottom. An amazing feat but he did something for so long and had absolute unquestionable respect.

But you couldn’t replace him. The club needed a complete restructure.

But instead they just tried and failed to find someone who could do what Ferguson did in an era where every other club is moving on to different structures.

They’ve still not changed and fall further and further behind.

It’s like us with Big Sam. Nobody could ever manage like he did and apart from Parky who did a reasonable job at a lower level nobody came close. It wasn’t until FV restructured, and even that had a couple of false dawns before we started to look more like a modern football club.

Man Utd can appoint any manager they want and they will fail. They need a complete top down restructure and an entirely new squad recruiting. Yet every summer they delude themselves that manager X can fix it. They can’t.
They need a big Sam type now more than ever but would their fickle supporters accept it?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:19 am

So Man Utd win the big six pointer down the bottom of the premiership leaving Liverpool in a relegation dogfight.

Also of note is how Liverpool fans are explaining how Henderson isn’t good enough. Funny how football fans eventually wake up to the deficiencies. He never has been top class and is just and always has been an average player at this level and it was a joke that people thought England would win the World Cup with him in midfield.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:37 am

See Gerrard under pressure at Villa. Almost like appointing empty headed big name footballers who only have managerial experience in a Mickey Mouse league isn’t a good idea….who would have thought it eh?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:37 am
See Gerrard under pressure at Villa. Almost like appointing empty headed big name footballers who only have managerial experience in a Mickey Mouse league isn’t a good idea….who would have thought it eh?
They play Arsenal Wednesday so will probably find their form…

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:29 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harsh.

They tried the experienced route getting Steve Bruce in and that proved disastrous. The experienced Dean Smith got them up and stabilised them with several big name signings but was then floundering.

I thought Gerrard had done enough at Rangers to earn a crack at this type of job. Won the title and the year after they got to a European final. His credentials were certainly greater than Lampard getting the Chelsea and Everton gigs after his mediocre start in coaching.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:14 am

And now after Saturday's Anfield gubbing I see that Bournemouth have sacked Scott Parker. Now that is harsh. He's got a Championship side playing in the Premier League and from what I can see has had precious little support. Maybe the fact that he reiterated exactly this after the game is what's ultimately cost him his job? I don't know, but the Chairman's already on about the club's 'sustainable future'.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:57 am

It's an interesting one Brucie, as it's not like they had an easy start. Two of their other 4 games were Arsenal and City. And they beat Villa on opening day...but Parker hasn't been shy at coming forwards either.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:27 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:57 am
It's an interesting one Brucie, as it's not like they had an easy start. Two of their other 4 games were Arsenal and City. And they beat Villa on opening day...but Parker hasn't been shy at coming forwards either.
Slight aside, but I see that Gary Cahill's still without a club after leaving Dean Court. I'm sure that both the club and Santos would benefit hugely from us having him here in the three. They also lost Nat Phillips back to Liverpool (who I thought they'd have bid for) and from what I can see the only CB they've brought in is Marcos Senesi from Feyenoord. Now, I know absolutely bugger all about this kiddie but the early indications are that they're in all sorts of bother at the back. To think, they shipped nine on a day on which, by his standards, Salah had a dreadful game.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:45 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Ibut Parker hasn't been shy at coming forwards either.
Just read the Chairman's statement in full. Seems that his comments ARE what have cost him ultimately.

"“However, in order for us to keep progressing as a team and a Club as a whole, it is unconditional that we are aligned in our strategy to run the club sustainably. We must also show belief in and respect for one another. That is the approach that has brought this club so much success in recent history, and one that we will not veer from now."

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:09 pm

Just what the doctor ordered, 1-0 :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:24 pm

Spoke too soon. Another soft goal given away. Really need to sort our defence out. 1-1.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:18 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:45 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Ibut Parker hasn't been shy at coming forwards either.
Just read the Chairman's statement in full. Seems that his comments ARE what have cost him ultimately.

"“However, in order for us to keep progressing as a team and a Club as a whole, it is unconditional that we are aligned in our strategy to run the club sustainably. We must also show belief in and respect for one another. That is the approach that has brought this club so much success in recent history, and one that we will not veer from now."
It’s an interesting one because if the club ran sustainably and hasn’t invested in premiership quality as a result when Bournemouth were being beaten week in week out would the chairman show ‘belief and respect’ for Parker and not sack him as their fans screamed at him to do so? Probably not eh?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:28 pm

It's a weird one from the outside but I must say I clocked his post match on Saturday and thought that's a beaten man. Obviously you've just lost 9-0 but he was similar after city and arsenal, "we can't compete". It's not a great vibe, even if it's probably true.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:15 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Steven Gerrard's last 16 games in charge of Aston Villa:
✅ Won - 3
🤝 Drew - 3
❌ Lost - 10
🔢 12 points

Deadly Doug would've had him up the road already.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:44 pm

Lionesses beat Luxembourg 10-0. Impressive from them, but false feathers as the opposition were toothless. Full credit to Sarina Weigman but we need tougher opposition before coming up against Brazil and America.

Quote of the night from an ITV commentator: "She hit it with the outside of her head..." cracked me up.. :lol: