Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

User avatar
GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7142
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 29, 2024 10:45 pm

Lovely moment tonight for Stelios' former club in his home town.

This will be ridiculously huge in Greek football.

User avatar
Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9325
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: Skye high

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu May 30, 2024 12:00 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 10:45 pm
Lovely moment tonight for Stelios' former club in his home town.

This will be ridiculously huge in Greek football.
?

User avatar
Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 24171
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Prufrock » Thu May 30, 2024 12:09 pm

Olympiakos won the UEFA conference league, in Athens. Going to be some ouzo hangovers today.

First Greek (club) team to win a European final.

(I suppose the only thing sweeter for them would have been doing it at Panathanaikos' ground rather than AEK).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

User avatar
Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9325
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: Skye high

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu May 30, 2024 12:48 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 12:09 pm
Olympiakos won the UEFA conference league, in Athens. Going to be some ouzo hangovers today.

First Greek (club) team to win a European final.

(I suppose the only thing sweeter for them would have been doing it at Panathanaikos' ground rather than AEK).
Aahh, thanks. Next question...what is the conference league? I thought we had Champions League and Europa Cup thingy we were in :crazy:

User avatar
Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 32955
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 30, 2024 1:16 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 12:48 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 12:09 pm
Olympiakos won the UEFA conference league, in Athens. Going to be some ouzo hangovers today.

First Greek (club) team to win a European final.

(I suppose the only thing sweeter for them would have been doing it at Panathanaikos' ground rather than AEK).
Aahh, thanks. Next question...what is the conference league? I thought we had Champions League and Europa Cup thingy we were in :crazy:
They're expanding European Club leagues by another name. Bit like the Club World Cup about to be introduced.

User avatar
Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9325
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: Skye high

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu May 30, 2024 5:07 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 1:16 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 12:48 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 12:09 pm
Olympiakos won the UEFA conference league, in Athens. Going to be some ouzo hangovers today.

First Greek (club) team to win a European final.

(I suppose the only thing sweeter for them would have been doing it at Panathanaikos' ground rather than AEK).
Aahh, thanks. Next question...what is the conference league? I thought we had Champions League and Europa Cup thingy we were in :crazy:
They're expanding European Club leagues by another name. Bit like the Club World Cup about to be introduced.
So more nonsense from UEFA/FIFA then

User avatar
Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 24171
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Prufrock » Thu May 30, 2024 6:56 pm

It wasn't a terrible idea tbf. The idea was meant to be that it would provide an opportunity for teams from the smaller countries to get further and have a proper European campaign. No point in qualifying for the Champions League in Finland if you're just going to get knocked out of the first qualifying round, and then the Europa League second qualifying round, Europe done by mid August.

And maybe the fact Greece now has it's first European champion suggests it works (though that 4 of the 6 finalists so far have been from Italy or England maybe means no).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

User avatar
Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 32955
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 30, 2024 8:05 pm

I have it a bit like FA Cup semi-finals at Wembley. If they want Greece to compete, level the playing field...Albanian Wage Cap should do it.

User avatar
GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7142
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu May 30, 2024 8:45 pm

It's basically UEFA's version of the EFL Trophy.

A club that wins it can make somewhere around £15m from winning it, though. That really matters.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 43445
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:05 pm

Comfortable enough 3-0 win against Bosnia with a new look team. Like the looks of Eze, a Premier Maghoma type, and Grealish's intelligent feet seem to be on form. Never seriously troubled but Bosnia were dogged in keeping us out. Bosnia fouled us all over the pitch.

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

User avatar
Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 13431
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:13 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:05 pm
Comfortable enough 3-0 win against Bosnia with a new look team. Like the looks of Eze, a Premier Maghoma type, and Grealish's intelligent feet seem to be on form. Never seriously troubled but Bosnia were dogged in keeping us out. Bosnia fouled us all over the pitch.

ae:) ae:)
Speaking truthfully Tango, the first 45 almost sent me to sleep, we went sideways and backwards more than the proverbial Italian tank.
The second half was a bit better but nothing much was happening until the substitutions then it woke up a bit.
Bosnia weren't up to much except cannon fodder, and yes, they were a tad dirty in their play, I agree there.
Still, it was only a warm up, and we won.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 43445
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:30 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:13 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:05 pm
Comfortable enough 3-0 win against Bosnia with a new look team. Like the looks of Eze, a Premier Maghoma type, and Grealish's intelligent feet seem to be on form. Never seriously troubled but Bosnia were dogged in keeping us out. Bosnia fouled us all over the pitch.

ae:) ae:)
Speaking truthfully Tango, the first 45 almost sent me to sleep, we went sideways and backwards more than the proverbial Italian tank.
The second half was a bit better but nothing much was happening until the substitutions then it woke up a bit.
Bosnia weren't up to much except cannon fodder, and yes, they were a tad dirty in their play, I agree there.
Still, it was only a warm up, and we won.
I've made the point elsewhere about the game(first half) being dull to the point of being boring, Hobes. so no argument from me. On the mandate that we were trying out some new faces I'm prepared to sit back and wait a bit. Friday should be a tad harder a task as Iceland (oops) are usually a good side.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

User avatar
Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 24171
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:52 pm

Well that's been very enjoyable so far.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

User avatar
Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 32955
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:36 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:52 pm
Well that's been very enjoyable so far.
My Jock mates, who I just had down as drunken fantasists back in the day, apparently all have ADHD...

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 43445
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:04 pm

11 V 10 or no, a polished and composed German performance. Scots had nothing to offer against it.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

User avatar
BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36571
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:29 pm

Once again at a major tournament England are talked up. Great team apparently. Yet we’ve turned up with a lack of a centre midfield, again. If Trent Alexander Arnold is an international centre mid so am I. And Rice isn’t good enough either.

Back four also very weak.

Against the best sides I don’t think either department comes close to cutting it.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 43445
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:11 pm

A bit less than impressive. Game of two halves again. Rough and ready cloggers, but they played some decent stuff second half and we went on holiday and played hoof ball. Harry Kane was a lost soul up front against their laughing assassin who managed to illustrate how low football has sunk in terms of foul play. The rules need re-writing. We won, and that's about it. Pickford saved us and their keeper saved them. Next round should be fun.
ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3108
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Xanadu

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by jmjhb » Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:29 pm
Once again at a major tournament England are talked up. Great team apparently. Yet we’ve turned up with a lack of a centre midfield, again. If Trent Alexander Arnold is an international centre mid so am I. And Rice isn’t good enough either.

Back four also very weak.

Against the best sides I don’t think either department comes close to cutting it.
You must have been watching a different game to me. Back four was fine, restricted Serbia to one chance. Rice was one of the best players on the pitch.

Combination of Trippier and Foden on the left was a bit rubbish though.

User avatar
Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 24171
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:51 pm

Any other country plays Rice Bellingham Foden together in the middle. Trent looked like a competition winner. Turns out there's more to this central midfield lark than spraying 60 yard passes around.

That second half was horrific.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3108
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Xanadu

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by jmjhb » Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:52 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:51 pm
Any other country plays Rice Bellingham Foden together in the middle. Trent looked like a competition winner. Turns out there's more to this central midfield lark than spraying 60 yard passes around.

That second half was horrific.
It did remind me of watching us this season. Thankfully, we weren't as spineless defensively.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests