ALLARDYCE APPOINTED NEWCASTLE MANAGER

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Mon May 07, 2007 9:25 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
trotter58 wrote:
trotter58 wrote:Can we take that 'Thanks Sam!' graphic down now?
Aye, when he relegates us and stops us making the top eight four seasons on the bounce.
We hear a lot about what Allardyce did for the club, not so much about what the club has done for Allardyce.
Do explain to us naifs. Way I saw it, we (yes, we, for it's the club I support) gave him a comparatively laughable budget and he took us as far as he thought he could. Four top-eight seasons (tbc!) wasn't a bad crack. Might turn out to be our zenith.
But to be fair, he didn't have a particularly terrific record before he joined us, and we gave him the platform from which he could make a name for himself.

Think it's pretty likely that he'll be at Vicarage Road on Sunday instead of the Reebok.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Mon May 07, 2007 9:30 pm

trotter58 wrote:
trotter58 wrote:Can we take that 'Thanks Sam!' graphic down now?
Aye, when he relegates us and stops us making the top eight four seasons on the bounce.
We hear a lot about what Allardyce did for the club, not so much about what the club has done for Allardyce.
Do explain to us naifs. Way I saw it, we (yes, we, for it's the club I support) gave him a comparatively laughable budget and he took us as far as he thought he could. Four top-eight seasons (tbc!) wasn't a bad crack. Might turn out to be our zenith.
And how many clubs appoint a manager from the lower leagues on a TEN YEAR contract and then provide him with everything he asks for (within the financial constraints of a relatively small club) including a backroom staff of 28! There's a right and a wrong way to leave and this stinks of a prior agreement with Newcastle which could well deprive OUR club of a hefty chunk of compensation which would have been due according to the terms of the contract that Allardyce was only too happy to sign.
'No issues with Warnock, he's got a fine record, experience and has been there and done it. Unlike LSL' © Fathead 18/08/07

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Mon May 07, 2007 9:39 pm

Leyther_Matt wrote: But to be fair, he didn't have a particularly terrific record before he joined us, and we gave him the platform from which he could make a name for himself.
Sorry, I've got to disagree.

Allardyce's spell at Bloomfield Road, however, was a strange one. Despite leading the club to their most successful season in years he was sacked at the end of the campaign after failing to guide them to Division One. Blackpool finished third, missing out on automatic promotion on the last day of the season, and were then beaten in the play-off semi-finals by Bradford City after winning 2-0 away at Valley Parade, only to lose 3-0 in the reverse leg on home soil.

In January 1997, Sam Allardyce made his return to football as manager of Division Two basement club Notts County. He arrived too late to save them from relegation, but they won promotion at the first attempt by finishing top of Division Three at the end of the 1997-98 season. Notts County broke several club and national records, winning the title by 19 points and becoming the first post-war side to win promotion in mid-March.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Allard ... management

He turned around two struggling clubs before he came to us - and I for one was delighted when we appointed him based on his managerial record.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Mon May 07, 2007 9:51 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Bench wrote:And anyone who would be happy to be rid of Nolan after one poor season doesn't have a scooby doo about football. Just my opinion.
Now let me reckon this up. Nolan's second season? Rubbish. Got dropped for most of it. "Second season syndrome" I believe it got referred to as being. This season? Shit also! Hmmm, I'd agree with you then Bench. Anyone that'd be happy to get rid of Nolan after one poor season doesn't have a "Scooby Doo" about football. Those of us that have, however, have given the self-glorifying knobber the chance to prove beyond all doubt how poor he can be, that'll be two shit seasons in five then.

Off comes the rubber mask;

"Why, it's old man Bench"!!

"And I'd have getten away with it too if it weren't for you meddlin' factually correct types"!
got to agree with Bruce there, if Big Sam comes in, let's screw him for a fat fee for a fat player, and laugh as he continues to kung fu kick his way through tackles next year in the black & white

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Mon May 07, 2007 9:51 pm

sluffy wrote:He turned around two struggling clubs before he came to us - and I for one was delighted when we appointed him based on his managerial record.
Correct. But there were a lot of supporters who didn't want him here at the time (people who are already on Sammy Lee's back should take note)

However Allardyce has in effect, given the club two weeks notice before joining Newcastle, despite the fact he said that he needed a break from football. I'd expect legal action to follow if Newcastle don't cough up.
'No issues with Warnock, he's got a fine record, experience and has been there and done it. Unlike LSL' © Fathead 18/08/07

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 07, 2007 9:52 pm

trotter58 wrote:how many clubs appoint a manager from the lower leagues on a TEN YEAR contract and then provide him with everything he asks for (within the financial constraints of a relatively small club) including a backroom staff of 28! There's a right and a wrong way to leave and this stinks of a prior agreement with Newcastle which could well deprive OUR club of a hefty chunk of compensation which would have been due according to the terms of the contract that Allardyce was only too happy to sign.
I absolutely agree that it stinks, although as someone else said, live by the sword and die by it: I imagine when the news is confirmed there'll be a few Magpies in Nottingham with smirks on their faces. I have also been told by trusted sources that Shepherd has been openly chasing Allardyce - in public, indiscreetly - for years.

However, T58, as has so often been the case I find fault in some of your arguments. I can't recall when he was given the famous ten-year contract but I'm fairly sure it wasn't until we were in the top flight, which would contradict your "lower-league" jibe. As for paying a dozen masseurs and tai-chi instructors a couple of hundred quid a week, it seemed to work quite well, and I'm afraid it's your turn to be naive if you think he wouldn't much rather have had a significantly larger wage bill to fill out the squad.

"Can I have this forty-grand-a-week striker, Phil?"
"Can yer buggery!"
"How about an opthalmologist?"
"Oh go on then..."

:mrgreen:

Anyways, you and I differ in our viewpoints, and I haven't got the energy to push it round the houses again.
"Baby, we can talk all night, but that ain't getting us nowhere..."

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 07, 2007 9:53 pm

trotter58 wrote:
sluffy wrote:He turned around two struggling clubs before he came to us - and I for one was delighted when we appointed him based on his managerial record.
Correct. But there were a lot of supporters who didn't want him here at the time (people who are already on Sammy Lee's back should take note)

However Allardyce has in effect, given the club two weeks notice before joining Newcastle, despite the fact he said that he needed a break from football. I'd expect legal action to follow if Newcastle don't cough up.
As would I, and followed up a lot more emphatically than the murmured lawsuits against the BBC... :?

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Mon May 07, 2007 9:59 pm

trotter58 wrote:
It could be, I mean could, that fat Freddy has spotted an opportunity, with Sam resigning that he could pick up the manager he wanted last time around, so sacks Roeder, then quickly calls the big man. Hard to believe when Sam has accepted so soon after Roeder goes, but it's possible......??? :?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 07, 2007 10:00 pm

fatshaft wrote:
trotter58 wrote:
It could be, I mean could, that fat Freddy has spotted an opportunity, with Sam resigning that he could pick up the manager he wanted last time around, so sacks Roeder, then quickly calls the big man. Hard to believe when Sam has accepted so soon after Roeder goes, but it's possible......??? :?
See what I posted before. I certainly wouldn't put it past that fat c*nt. Mind, Allardyce doesn't have to agree.

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Mon May 07, 2007 10:05 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I absolutely agree that it stinks, although as someone else said, live by the sword and die by it: I imagine when the news is confirmed there'll be a few Magpies in Nottingham with smirks on their faces. I have also been told by trusted sources that Shepherd has been openly chasing Allardyce - in public, indiscreetly - for years.
The difference is that we approached Notts County to speak to Allardyce, they refused permission so he resigned. Had Newcastle approached BWFC in the same manner and had Allardyce indicated that he wanted to go, i'm sure that Phil Gartside would have reluctantly let him leave after trousering a hefty cheque in compensation.
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I can't recall when he was given the famous ten-year contract but I'm fairly sure it wasn't until we were in the top flight, which would contradict your "lower-league" jibe.
Allardyce was given a 10-year contract from the word go after telling Gartside that he needed to re-build the club from top to bottom. How many clubs would have shown that sort of faith in a manager who had NEVER managed a team in either of the top two divisions?

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Mon May 07, 2007 10:08 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I can't recall when he was given the famous ten-year contract but I'm fairly sure it wasn't until we were in the top flight, which would contradict your "lower-league" jibe.
Allardyce signed the '10 year contract' in February 2000, nearly six months after his initial appointment when we were still in Division 1.

A remarkable vote of confidence in him at the time!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 607374.stm
Last edited by sluffy on Mon May 07, 2007 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Mon May 07, 2007 10:09 pm

fatshaft wrote:It could be, I mean could, that fat Freddy has spotted an opportunity, with Sam resigning that he could pick up the manager he wanted last time around, so sacks Roeder, then quickly calls the big man. Hard to believe when Sam has accepted so soon after Roeder goes, but it's possible......??? :?
It is possible, but i would expect that Allardyce's contract has a clause forbidding him to take another job for a period longer than two weeks after resigning! Allardyce claimed that he's spoken to Alan Curbishley about taking some time off from football before he made his decision but correct me if i'm wrong, i don't remember Curbishley turning up at West Ham a couple of weeks later.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon May 07, 2007 10:13 pm

I'll be amazed if TBH doesnt end up at St James next year. He's free and unlike some of the duff defenders they've had over the years, he can play a bit.

Good luck Sam.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon May 07, 2007 10:18 pm

Said it before say it again Thanks Sam for getting us with the elite.

Now we can move on and hopefully upwards 'cause now your Fat Sam, Fat Freddys man!!!!!!!!

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Mon May 07, 2007 10:18 pm

trotter58 wrote:

I'll take note, Sam's record was similar to that of Billy Davies' now, but I'm not too sure how it compares to Sammy Lee's?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon May 07, 2007 10:21 pm

http://boards.footymad.net/mboard/fmb.p ... 2133371151

Notts County still havent forgiven him and Gartside.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Mon May 07, 2007 10:23 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:I'll be amazed if TBH doesnt end up at St James next year. He's free and unlike some of the duff defenders they've had over the years, he can play a bit.
Let's see... Newcastle or Chelsea? Tough decision.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon May 07, 2007 10:30 pm

trotter58 wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:I'll be amazed if TBH doesnt end up at St James next year. He's free and unlike some of the duff defenders they've had over the years, he can play a bit.
Do you think Chelsea will come back in for him? In January he looked a good bet because Abrahmovic was jibbing about letting Jose have any more money and 2 or 3 Million would have been a worthwhile punt. Surely come pre season they'll be spending £20 million plus on some foreign superstar I've never heard of rather than a make do signing which I'm sure is all they viewed TBH as.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Mon May 07, 2007 10:33 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
trotter58 wrote:
Do you think Chelsea will come back in for him? In January he looked a good bet because Abrahmovic was jibbing about letting Jose have any more money and 2 or 3 Million would have been a worthwhile punt. Surely come pre season they'll be spending £20 million plus on some foreign superstar I've never heard of rather than a make do signing which I'm sure is all they viewed TBH as.
I don't think Jose will be there much longer, which may change everything for TBH.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Mon May 07, 2007 10:34 pm

Article in tonight's edition of Newcastle's local paper -

There's Sam work to be done

Freddy Shepherd faces several hurdles before he can install Sam Allardyce as manager of Newcastle United following the resignation of Glenn Roeder.

But Shepherd is determined to get the man who turned United down in the summer of 2004 - despite the fact that some fans are opposed to his appointment.

Even though Allardyce walked out on Bolton Wanderers last Sunday after eight years in charge of the Lancashire outfit he still had two years left on his contract and the question of compensation is bound to crop up.

So will the question of whether Gary Speed, who will have the dual role as player and coach next season at the Reebok Stadium, will be given the chance to return to Tyneside.

And two of big Sam's former coaches, Phil Brown and Neil McDonald, have North-East connections. Brown, the current manager of Hull City, is from South Shields, while McDonald, who is now cutting his managerial teeth with Carlisle is, of course, a former United player.

Allardyce's successor Sammy Lee has already urged any Bolton players tempted to follow Allardyce out of the door at the Reebok not to act in haste.

Allardyce, who also snubbed Sunderland 12 months ago, is one of the managers who spoke against Roeder taking over as United boss because he did not have the Pro-Licence - even though he himself does not have it.

But this would not stop him from replacing Roeder because his long service as a manager means that he has been granted exemption, along with the likes of Sir Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho, until 2010.

Shepherd will know that he will not have 100% backing of the United supporters in his decision to bring in Allardyce in the wake of the Panorama bung allegations. Those claims were vehemently denied by Allardyce and no evidence was presented to prove any wrong-doing.

The Chronicle would never presume to speak for the supporters but those I have spoken to fall into three categories - those who would accept the appointment of Allardyce with reservations, those who are dead against it, and those who wanted to see the end of Roeder and are pleased that he has gone regardless of his replacement.

However, while Shepherd still has a lot to do to install Allardyce as his manager, he will not face competition from Manchester City regardless of any take-over at Eastlands.

One of the first phone calls I took yesterday afternoon, as the news started filtering through about the resignation, was from Ray Ranson, who wanted to pass on his good wishes to Roeder.

The former United full-back is confident that his £90m bid to take over Manchester City will be accepted. But after talking to him I got the distinct impression that if he did take over, he would not be installing Allardyce as his manager, leaving the way clear way for United.

http://tinyurl.com/2uzecg