ALLARDYCE APPOINTED NEWCASTLE MANAGER

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Mon May 07, 2007 10:58 pm

sluffy wrote:The Chronicle would never presume to speak for the supporters but those I have spoken to fall into three categories - those who would accept the appointment of Allardyce with reservations, those who are dead against it, and those who wanted to see the end of Roeder and are pleased that he has gone regardless of his replacement.
What a ringing endorsement!
'No issues with Warnock, he's got a fine record, experience and has been there and done it. Unlike LSL' © Fathead 18/08/07

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon May 07, 2007 11:30 pm

sluffy wrote:Article in tonight's edition of Newcastle's local paper -
Allardyce, who also snubbed Sunderland 12 months ago, is one of the managers who spoke against Roeder taking over as United boss because he did not have the Pro-Licence - even though he himself does not have it.
Just in case anyone was wondering, this is indeed bollocks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6189330.stm
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue May 08, 2007 12:12 am

I've said my bit elsewhere to be honest, but I may as well put it on record for all the geordie visitors we will get.

I respect Allardyce for what he has done, thank him, and understand why he left when he did. I wish him all the best (within reason - ie not finishing above us) at toon, don't think he has truly sold us out (like i thought a move to city would of). He gets massive attendances, pots of cash, a club with the potential to be as big as the other big 4, and he can be the man that turns it round for them. I don't envy the task, and its going to be an interesting summer, what with the backlash, transfers, staff poaching etc, and this is where my worries lie. Our squad needs a massive overhaul - Allardyce left at the right time in my eyes, if Anelka/Diouf (who before Phil Gartside says Sammy Lee is the major influence for we must note he wasn't here when Dioufy originally signed), maybe even Nolan all leave we could be in trouble - we already need around 6 signings to have a squad capable of competing on 4 fronts, and thats without considering some of the outgoings. Also its interesting the reception he has got - mixed - byt the toon faithfull. time will tell, but Fat Sam (we can call him that now :grin:) has to prove his mettle now.

Sammy Lee has a great opportunity to put his own mark on this squad this summer, and was as good as most if not all potential managers we could of got in. The premiership will be tougher next year - if WH survive they won't be floundering round the lower reaches - Sunderland and Birmingham both look stronger than other recently promoted teams. But thats off topic.

Epitaph
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Epitaph » Tue May 08, 2007 1:29 am

Mich Caine wrote: Tango, believe me, I would. Not many geordies would mess with me, believe me.
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.
Please can I change my vote for 'poster of the season'?!

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Tue May 08, 2007 1:38 am

Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

HAHAHA!!! omffg

i almost shat my kex

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue May 08, 2007 8:27 am

couldn't be arsed reading all this but has anyone pointed out that nothing is official at all yet and that 5live didn't report it as such, just that he was tipped to be the new manager???

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Tue May 08, 2007 8:31 am

communistworkethic wrote:couldn't be arsed reading all this but has anyone pointed out that nothing is official at all yet and that 5live didn't report it as such, just that he was tipped to be the new manager???
Yes DSB did a couple of times, but was drown out in the sea of 'WTF'
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 08, 2007 9:41 am

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:couldn't be arsed reading all this but has anyone pointed out that nothing is official at all yet and that 5live didn't report it as such, just that he was tipped to be the new manager???
Yes DSB did a couple of times, but was drown out in the sea of 'WTF'
Isn't it always the way? :wink:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 08, 2007 9:51 am

sluffy wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I can't recall when he was given the famous ten-year contract but I'm fairly sure it wasn't until we were in the top flight, which would contradict your "lower-league" jibe.
Allardyce signed the '10 year contract' in February 2000, nearly six months after his initial appointment when we were still in Division 1.

A remarkable vote of confidence in him at the time!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 607374.stm
I'm not sure it was February 2000. I think it was February 2001:
http://archive.theboltonnews.co.uk/2001/2/1/695284.html
Note "new long-term contract".
EDIT: indeed - http://archive.theboltonnews.co.uk/2001/2/6/694470.html

So that would be after a debut season in which we had reached the semi-finals of the play-offs, FA Cup and League Cup, followed by one in which we absorbed the losses of Eidur Gudjohnsen and Claus Jensen to be second in the second division at the time of signing the contract. Now, to me, that wouldn't seem a particularly bad business decision, nor would it seem entirely altruistic on BWFC's part.

Backgammon
Promising
Promising

Post by Backgammon » Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 am

I remember thinking at the time, who the hell gives their manager a ten year contract? Now I think it's a shame he didn't see it through...

To be honest, I couldn't give two sh#ts if Big Sam is made manager of Newcastle, City or Real Madrid. The guy's no longer at Bolton Wanderers so his activities are of no interest to me anymore.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Tue May 08, 2007 10:30 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
sluffy wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I can't recall when he was given the famous ten-year contract but I'm fairly sure it wasn't until we were in the top flight, which would contradict your "lower-league" jibe.
Allardyce signed the '10 year contract' in February 2000, nearly six months after his initial appointment when we were still in Division 1.

A remarkable vote of confidence in him at the time!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 607374.stm
I'm not sure it was February 2000. I think it was February 2001:
http://archive.theboltonnews.co.uk/2001/2/1/695284.html
Note "new long-term contract".
EDIT: indeed - http://archive.theboltonnews.co.uk/2001/2/6/694470.html

So that would be after a debut season in which we had reached the semi-finals of the play-offs, FA Cup and League Cup, followed by one in which we absorbed the losses of Eidur Gudjohnsen and Claus Jensen to be second in the second division at the time of signing the contract. Now, to me, that wouldn't seem a particularly bad business decision, nor would it seem entirely altruistic on BWFC's part.
Ah, thanks for that DSB.

I had read this quote from the BBC article published in 2001 and thought it was referring to Feb the previous year - my mistake.

"Allardyce, who signed a 10-year contract with Bolton last February....."

I can't recall any other manager being given a 10-year contract before or after Allardyce's - an amazing vote of confidence by the board.

Many things can and do go wrong in football - Houlier won the triple with Liverpool - but did not last ten years - let alone a first division manager with only the likes of Blackpool and Notts County on his CV.

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Tue May 08, 2007 11:25 am

Yawn! Wrong again. Five Live said that he HAS been appointed the new manager of Newcastle and that the club will announce it in due course, but then maybe if you could 'be arsed' reading the thread properly you would have known that. Please try to keep up.
'No issues with Warnock, he's got a fine record, experience and has been there and done it. Unlike LSL' © Fathead 18/08/07

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 08, 2007 11:29 am

sluffy wrote:I had read this quote from the BBC article published in 2001 and thought it was referring to Feb the previous year - my mistake.

"Allardyce, who signed a 10-year contract with Bolton last February....."
A perfectly reasonable reading of a badly-written sentence. I know the B(E)N archive's turned into a bugger to search but really, Sluffster, you must try harder! :wink: :mrgreen:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 08, 2007 11:30 am

Backgammon wrote:I remember thinking at the time, who the hell gives their manager a ten year contract? Now I think it's a shame he didn't see it through...

To be honest, I couldn't give two sh#ts if Big Sam is made manager of Newcastle, City or Real Madrid. The guy's no longer at Bolton Wanderers so his activities are of no interest to me anymore.
I can understand why people feel jilted.
But I also know it's best not to stalk your ex-girlfriends and obsess over who they're seeing.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue May 08, 2007 11:53 am

trotter58 wrote:
Yawn! Wrong again. Five Live said that he HAS been appointed the new manager of Newcastle and that the club will announce it in due course, but then maybe if you could 'be arsed' reading the thread properly you would have known that. Please try to keep up.
No it didn't as, 1) I was listening to it and 2) it would be on BBC online as top sports story if they had. You'll note nobody else is running the story. So, as ever, you've failed to grasp the concept of facts and reality.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 08, 2007 11:56 am

SSN's geezer-on-the-street-in-a-big-coat this morning said that while several well-informed local journos are convinced it's Allardyce's job, nothing will be announced for a while, quite possibly not before the weekend.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue May 08, 2007 12:08 pm

nothing will be announced or signed until after the final game of the season, so as not to invoke the compensation clause.

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Tue May 08, 2007 12:15 pm

communistworkethic wrote:nothing will be announced or signed until after the final game of the season, so as not to invoke the compensation clause.
No shit Sherlock!

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue May 08, 2007 12:16 pm

trotter58 wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:nothing will be announced or signed until after the final game of the season, so as not to invoke the compensation clause.
No shit Sherlock!
So he hasn't been appointed then?

Felt sure you posted that he had
Sto ut Serviam

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue May 08, 2007 12:17 pm

He had 2+ years of his (improved) 10 yr contract remaining.

That contract appears tyo have had a compensation clause which would kick in if he chose to move to another club.

He appears to have asured Gartside that he needed a break "for personnal reasons".

Unless PG is particularly inept, when he released him from that clause, it will have been on the basis of him not taking another football manager job ... possibly for that said 2+ years ... CERTAINLY not for 2+ weeks !! If he did then the above clause will revert.

If he goes to Newcastle, during or after this week, in the near term then the clause may be enacted. If not then PG/BWFC will be able to sue BSA &/or NUFC for breach of contract, for it was only recinded on the basis of his assurances.

He will also be a big-fat liar !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".